PDA

View Full Version : Priest Dual Spec advice

leethaxor
07-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm just wondering what are the two easiest priest specs to gear for. Disc/shadow, or Holy/Shadow, i want to keep my ability to heal, but i'm not sure if i want to lose my ability to dps.

Petninja
07-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Disc/Shadow. Neither one of them like spirit that much. You're gonna wear different gear anyway though, or you're wasting stats through hit.

Harmacy
07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Disc/Shadow. Neither one of them like spirit that much. You're gonna wear different gear anyway though, or you're wasting stats through hit.

Shadow actually gets 50% of their spirit back as spellpower. It's inferior to crit rating, but not as much as you think.

As always, the spec setup you should use is the one that's most fun for you. One healing spec and one DPS spec is typically the most versatile, especially for gearing up in 5-mans and such (you don't need to specialize for that, just one healing spec will do). I recommend Disc to most starting Priests, because it has more mana to play with than Holy, but both are very good.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Shadow actually gets 50% of their spirit back as spellpower. It's inferior to crit rating, but not as much as you think.

Huh, show me where.

Spiritual Guidance is a HOLY talent, that when fully talented gives the holy priest 25% of their Spirit as Spellpower. Nowhere in the Shadow spec is such an overpowered 50% of spirit as SP monster.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Both are going to require 2 sets of gear. While it IS possible to use your shadow set for healing, it's just better all around to make sure you have a strong healing set. That being set, if Shadow is one of your specs and you find yourself having to use shadow gear for your heal set, then Disc is going to be less gimped than holy.

Harmacy
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Huh, show me where.

Spiritual Guidance is a HOLY talent, that when fully talented gives the holy priest 25% of their Spirit as Spellpower. Nowhere in the Shadow spec is such an overpowered 50% of spirit as SP monster.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51167

http://www.wowhead.com/item=42407

Considering that at current crit levels, your uptime on the glyph is 100%... 20% + 30% = ???

And 50% spirit converting to spellpower is not particularly overpowered for a DPS really. Warlocks get a similar amount, too. It would be insane for a healer, though.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51167

http://www.wowhead.com/item=42407

Considering that at current crit levels, your uptime on the glyph is 100%... 20% + 30% = ???

And 50% spirit converting to spellpower is not particularly overpowered for a DPS really. Warlocks get a similar amount, too. It would be insane for a healer, though.

I forgot about the glyph. I don't get to go all dark and shadowy that often. Usually I'm needed to get my face pounded in. But, I still don't gear for spirit, much. Glyph really only affects SW: D and MB, as the others are DoTs. SW: D is sparingly used, mostly if on the move, and you don't have an instant cast ready to go, and MB has a CD of 5 sec. during which you are casting 2x MF, usually.

Harmacy
07-19-2010, 07:56 AM
MF crits proc the glyph, which is why it has such a great uptime.

I'm not arguing that spirit is the uber stat for Shadow, that title actually belongs to haste rating nowadays, but spirit is still a solid stat.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 07:58 AM
MF crits proc the glyph, which is why it has such a great uptime.

I'm not arguing that spirit is the uber stat for Shadow, that title actually belongs to haste rating nowadays, but spirit is still a solid stat.

True, I go for haste. I forget more about my spriest than I know about my 'lock. *sigh* I wasn't trying to be a .. ahem .. witch, I truly forgot about some stuff, and needed to be reminded about others.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

leethaxor
07-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok thanks, i guess i was trying to see if i could float by with one set of gear. With I really couldn't unless i was disc / holy right?

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Ok thanks, i guess i was trying to see if i could float by with one set of gear. With I really couldn't unless i was disc / holy right?

Even holy and disc shoot for different stats. One set of gear will serve both, but not optimally.