PDA

View Full Version : Priest Disc priest gear choice

CoolNitro
07-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Is my gear choice bad http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ragnaros&n=Coolnitro

I don't see many if any disc priests with that kind of gear, I chose to forgo any spirit items in favor of extra crit, haste or mp5 but since I am pretty much the only one running around with this kind of gear there must be a reason why no one else gears this way.

So can anyone tell me the benefits of a more typical disc priests gearing vs my own setup.

Kazeyonoma
07-18-2010, 01:21 AM
disc suffers from mana problems i believe more than holy priests so having spirit/mp5 is more than crit since you can't "CRIT" your shields.

also, moved to HALP forum.

CoolNitro
07-18-2010, 05:34 PM
That's what I was thinking but I have only minor mana issues in 10 mans and no mana problems in 25 man due to extra buffs and sure enough shields can't crit but Discs have more then just shields to use.

I suppose this is more of a Disc priest breaking out of the norm and questioning why people choose to fallow like a sheep and build for shields when they can do more.

Harmacy
07-18-2010, 06:45 PM
The gear to aim for depends on your role in the raid.

For bubblebotting in 25's (which is what many serious Disc Priests do), very little matters but spellpower.

For tank healing, or for 10 mans where you need to be more versatile, crit and haste are much more important. Spellpower is still your number one throughput stat, it always is. I would never pass on a substantial spellpower upgrade just because it has spirit or MP5, but I would certainly take into account the itemization.

Your gear is pretty good, but your gemming needs a little bit of work. Getting the Insightful meta would allow you to get rid of a lot of your MP5 and Int gems while maintaining the same mana regen. So it would let you gem more SP, with little to no drawback.

The 4-piece is amazing unless you're a pure tank healer (which is very rare). I would recommend picking it up when you get a chance, personally.

Spec and glyph setup is very solid.

All in all, I'd say you're doing fine, just change up your gemming a bit and you're good to go :-)

Metasynaptic
07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
disc suffers from mana problems i believe more than holy priests so having spirit/mp5 is more than crit since you can't "CRIT" your shields.

also, moved to HALP forum.

My disc priest is extremely mana efficient.

Keeping in mind that as a disc healer you are usually relying on your power word shield to protect your party before they take damage rather than after it:

Crit is useful for bigger flash heal and penance.
Int is useful for a bigger mana pool.
MP5 is a static amount of mana generation per 5 seconds.
Spirit is also good for mana generation, but it works on a formula. The ratio of value between to mp5 to spirit is about 1.14:1 in favour of MP5 for disc priests.

In general, you want to gem to boost your ability as a disc healer in one of two ways: Throughput (bigger heals/shields) or longevity (having enough mana to last the fight).

For throughput, you want spellpower, and to a lesser degree haste.

For longevity, you want Int. Why? Everytime your power word shield is completely absorbed, you gain mana, relative to the size of your mana pool. Bigger mana pool, bigger gain. In addition, your shadow fiend gives you 5% mana per strike, meaning again, bigger mana pool, more mana. Again once again, replensihment gives you 1% of your mana pool per tick... what this means is that as a disc priest int is your longevity stat, not mp5, and definately not spirit. That said, you can't gem int in a blue socket, so take what feels best for you... which if you are going pure disc, is MP5.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM
My disc priest is extremely mana efficient.
This. I very, very rarely have mana problems. And if I do, I have Hymn, and Shadowfiend (aka critter).

Keeping in mind that as a disc healer you are usually relying on your power word shield to protect your party before they take damage rather than after it:

<snip>
That said, you can't gem int in a blue socket, so take what feels best for you... which if you are going pure disc, is MP5.

Actually, you can socket the int gem in a blue socket. Or spirit, or mp5. You just won't get the socket bonus if you put in the pure int gem. But you can socket an int/spirit or int/mp5 gem.

Metasynaptic
07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I should have said 'there isn't a blue gem that gives int, you'd have to use a green mp5 or spirit + int eye of zul'.

Insahnity
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
This would all be simple if you read Aliena's guide to Disc priests.

First priority is Spell Power
Gem for Int if you need mana. Aside from bigger mana pool for shadowfiend, divine hymn, replenishment, etc. you also increase your crit (see next)
Crit isn't all bad. Although you can't crit shields, you proc aegis and inspiration from crit heals, as well as get RNG based throughput (and RNG is not something you want to depend on, remember this).
Haste only untill about 10-11%. You should get at least that from endgame gear and raid buffs and shouldn't need to gem it.
If you have blue, Aliena recommends MP5, and if you are purely disc, go with it. If you are a combo holy/disc but want to use the same gear for both, I'd gear spirit, there are talents in disc which boost spirit and therefore it helps a bit with regen.