PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Druid Gear Advice going into 10 ICC

Sadysmic
07-16-2010, 03:16 AM
First off, heres the Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malfurion&cn=Allagi

I've tanked in 10 ICC, so I'm not so much looking for advice to get in there, more so as I'd like to be better prepared. I don't get to tank often(Main toon is a Holy Pally, and I'm main spec Resto on the Druid, so my Frost Emblems are going to Resto), so when I do I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can. I'm looking for possible upgrades to my gear via PvP, instances, TRIUMPH badges(though I don't believe there are any left), and fairly easy to pug raids. Also, if there's enchanting/gem issues, please feel free to let me know. I take tanking seriously so I'm open to any and all criticism. Thanks for taking a look.

*EDIT* - The only thing that might be out of date, is I have the 245 PvP Belt equiped with 2 Solid Majestic Zircons in it. Not sure if it's going to show up right now or later.

-Allagi

Hoogle
07-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Hey Allagi,

okay so your not uber geared but a nice set for OS.

One thing i would say is you've seemed to have accidently thrown yourself into the 'stam junkie' trap. Remember 20+ agi is great gem for the red slots. Pug groups like to see high hp but without a bit more dodge (which you can get from agi) you may find your hard to heal cos you'll get hit hard and often. Also, agi will increase your crit chance.

i would also be semi-tempted to pop a nightmare tear (+10stats) into your chest.

you may want to think about getting the mats for the lvl 264 Footpads of impending death(doom or whatever, can never remember).

Do you have a high rep with the Sons of Hodir? they have a great stam+dodge shoulder enchant tho the stam+resi is fine its not a personal fav of mine.

Also, not sure if you've already added an eternal buckle on your belt already but if not, add one :)

a shame you dont have 60 spare frosties as the lvl 264 tank cloak from the vendor is a pretty nice one.

oh and get rid the glove enchant, parry means nothing to druids. get the +20agi enchant instead

There are some real pro druid tanks here (far better than me) so i'm sure you'll get some great tips or alternative advice in some areas but hopefully that'll be a good starter for you.

Have fun tanking :)

Sadysmic
07-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Funny you should mention this, but I just got done reading a thread here(with more math than I'll ever admit to reading), that says stacking Stam IS the way to go. Not saying it's the only way, but it's the path I choose to follow(Note: Choose, not just decided to do what others are doing, this is my 4th tank, I'm not new to the theory stuff:-P).

I've got the mats for the boots, just waiting for someone to come along and craft them for me(being 5am might be a problem with not getting it done right now).

As I'm Resto main spec on here, right now my Frost badges are going towards Resto, however yes I'm keeping an eye on the emblem gear for down the road.

I completely understand the glove enchant. I know Parry is useless, and I feel like a tool for having it. It's habit really, and when I was first starting out, threat was an issue, so the 2% extra threat was a boon. I'll try out the Agi and see what happens.

I really do appreciate the response. I know some things I need to work on are getting my Exp up(with the PvP belt I dropped from 25 to 20), however the boots I'm getting crafted should cover that. I also feel kinda silly with a DPS cloak on, and a STR one at that! However it was going to get burned in the raid, and it was a serious Stam upgrade compared to my Platinum Mesh Cloak.

-Allagi

FuxieDK
07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
i would also be semi-tempted to pop a nightmare tear (+10stats) into your chest.Nightmare Tear is ALWAYS a good idea.. It solves your Meta-Requirement in a single gem. :)
However, my personal favorite is to put it in the helmet, as (in general) helmet gives the bigges socket-bonus of all equipment. That's worth thinking of ;)

Do you have a high rep with the Sons of Hodir? they have a great stam+dodge shoulder enchant tho the stam+resi is fine its not a personal fav of mine.Actually, they DON'T.. SoH enchant (for tanks) is 15 Defense/20 Dodge, which is the exact reason why most druids use 30 Stam/15 Resil. ;)

Sadysmic
07-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Nightmare Tear is ALWAYS a good idea.. It solves your Meta-Requirement in a single gem. :)
However, my personal favorite is to put it in the helmet, as (in general) helmet gives the bigges socket-bonus of all equipment. That's worth thinking of ;)

Here's my question, Shifting Dreadstone, or Nightmare Tear. Either takes care of my Meta requirement in one gem. One gives me 15 Agi and 15 Stam, the other gives me 10 Agi and 10 Stam.

Hoogle
07-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Sadysmic

Funny you should mention this, but I just got done reading a thread here(with more math than I'll ever admit to reading), that says stacking Stam IS the way to go. Not saying it's the only way, but it's the path I choose to follow(Note: Choose, not just decided to do what others are doing, this is my 4th tank, I'm not new to the theory stuff:-P).

I just read the same article i think. Was it a warrior one? maybe thats the EH thing i keep hearing about but I was always made to believe stam stacking as a bad thing. will leave that one to the experts

Actually, they DON'T.. SoH enchant (for tanks) is 15 Defense/20 Dodge, which is the exact reason why most druids use 30 Stam/15 Resil. ;)

I stand corrected. the Hodir one is the enchant i use for my warrior tank while my druid (as an inscriptor) has the +60dodge shoulder enchant. apologies for confusion.

Thats the great thing about this site, learn by discussion ;)

felhoof
07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Nightmare Tear is ALWAYS a good idea.. It solves your Meta-Requirement in a single gem.
However, my personal favorite is to put it in the helmet, as (in general) helmet gives the bigges socket-bonus of all equipment. That's worth thinking of Nightmare tears are good for a really great socket bonus for a YELLOW gem. For red, you should go shifting (10 agi/15 stam) or guardian (10 exp/15 stam). Both are better for a bear than a tear.

Bears get more advantage per stamina point - especially from gems - than any other tank. They get less advantage from avoidance than any other tank. Both of these things point to the simple truth: stack stamina.

As to the OP: The crafted legs and boots from Saronite are both good.
Enchants are largely fine.
I'd recommend strongly against 5/5 furor unless you have a good reason for it. Also, you should really consider taking infected wounds unless you know for certain that the slow debuff will be up. King of the Jungle isn't a particularly good talent either until you get 4pT10.
The biggest problem I see is the huge lack of expertise on your gear. Really prioritize getting this if at all possible. The T10 legs are a great investment here. Consider getting expertise on your gloves as well.

Sadysmic
07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I got the 264 Boots and Legs crafted last night. Replaced the Threat and Parry enchant to Gloves with the Agility enchant, and also replaced the Armor enchant on my cloak with Agility. With the boots I'm back up to 20 Expertise, which I know isn't enough, but it's a step in the right direction. Since I've put a ton of money into this spec I'm debating making it my main spec, therefore allowing me the use of Frost Emblems for it. Also, I'm hoping to start farming Ony and getting the polearm from there, as it has a bunch of Exp on it.

I've also been looking at my spec, and I've been toying around with it. Infected Wound is something I was looking at, as well as maybe dropping Imp LotP(though I doubt it). If I were to only grab 3/5 in Furor, put 3/3 in Infected Wound, where would the last two points go, if not to fill out Furor(implying I don't put anything into King of the Jungle that is.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZxGGscrzceRc0zAkbA0z Is what I've got so far.

Tschus
07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
For general tanking, I would suggest the following spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZxGGscrzceocczAkbAc0b
Drop 2 points in Imp LotP and the Omen of Clarity, get NS+MS and Infected Wounds.

You can also consider the following items to increase your expertise: T9 helm, neck from 10man Jaraxxus, Ikfirus's Sack of Wonder.
Oh and btw, get the idol of corruptor, which is better than mutilation for a bear.

Sadysmic
07-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Oh and btw, get the idol of corruptor, which is better than mutilation for a bear.

Really? I mean, I can understand Agi is better than straight Dodge, but is it really that much better than Mutilation? Any thread you can direct me to perhaps, so I can understand?

blbbax
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Corrupter is a lot better than mutilation because it gives armor, crit and avoidance rather than just avoidance. Contrary to what ppl have said above, avoidance really isn't wroth worrying about for a tank in ICC.

Your enchants are fine, but I would go for armour on cloak, stam on gloves and run speed on boots. Just personal preference though.

Your gear is ok, but for a couple of parry items it would be nice to drop. Trinkets good. Expertise somewhat lacking. Consider EoC belt? Exp+Stam gem for meta? Sorting that out could help your threat a lot.

Sadysmic
07-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I know I don't need the Parry, but for lack of better items, I've got them. I'm attempting to get a Battered Hilt or the Polearm from Ony for some Exp, though I'd prefer Ikfirus's Sack of Wonders, don't have the gold to buy it right now.

Sadysmic
07-24-2010, 05:47 AM
Ok, here's another question I've got now. I've upgraded a bunch of my gear, and now I"m at about 30-32 Exp, is it ok to be over the Dodge cap, or should I try and hover around 26 Exp?

blbbax
07-26-2010, 05:41 AM
It's fine, nay advisable to be over the dodge cap. While expertise becomes less valuable beyond this point, it is still an awesome threat stat as it continues to reduce your chance to be parried.

Kazeyonoma
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Moved to HALP!