PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Str and ArP for blood

wyrmzz
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi I've been following the ArP and Str debate for a long while already and i still am confused. However one thing i gather is that there is a min strength value to reach before gemming and gearing for ArP?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thaurissan&cn=Wyrmzz

Toushiro
07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
you don't have enough passive ArP for gemming it to be good. main rule of thumb is can i reach cap?

Loganisis
07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Gemming ArP is very simple.

1400 - Trinket Proc = X Can you hit X via gemming? If no, stay with str. (Soft cap)

If Passive ArP from gear + 40 ArP from food + 20 * Gem slots = 1400, gem ArP, otherwise keep your Str gems. (hard cap)

You should never be more than 9 points over 1400 ArP whether via proc or passive.

This is the easy stuff

This may be a little more complicated to understand.

If you do hit the soft cap, remember to switch out ArP gems for Str gems nearly everytime you upgrade gear. For example, Needle Encrusted Scorpion requires 722 passive ArP to hit 1400 with a proc. If you have a gear upgrade that takes you to 745 ArP, there is 1 full +20ArP gem that does no good during the proc. ANd the value of 80% of that gem (since it's full value is lost during the proc) is less than that of +20Str gem. So you'll want stay between 722 and 742 passive ArP with NES to maximize DPS.

Once you hit 900 ArP or so on gear you'll want to look at your gem slots and see if you can get near 1400 (1360 with ArP food) passive ArP.

wyrmzz
07-07-2010, 10:59 PM
If i switch out all my gems (excluding meta and the ones required to activate it) i will have 1378 ArP with the NES proc. but how often does NES proc? since its only on crits, won' t it be very few? i remember when i had pyrite infuser it only happened 1 once or twice in a boss fight.

Loganisis
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
That is the thing with trinket procs. You're never sure what the uptime is. I know some have suggested not bothering until you can hit the hard cap because the proc is too RNG. If you do gem, remember to eat the ArP food every time. The last few points of ArP are the most valuable, so making sure you can hit 1400 will maximize your DPS.

From what I've heard, NES has a 20% uptime or thereabouts. I wouldn't know. After 2 straight months of farming FoS and seeing it drop 2x (and losing both rolls) I'm at the point where NES is uselss so I don't have any idea from personal expereince, but the rule of thumb seems to be ~20%.

wyrmzz
07-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I just got NES and switched my gems. even though my strength is just above 2k self buffed, i did 9k dps against saurfang when i used to do 6-7k. totally worth it. now i even see 20k death strikes in 5man heriocs.

Toushiro
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
you're over the softcapped, you need to lose 10% (blood has a passive 10% that does not show up on you're character sheet)