PDA

View Full Version : Shaman Question about dps

Shaman
06-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I've seen very little information about Enhancement Shamans. I am currently playing one and would like any suggestions you have on gear, talents etc. Several people have told me that Elemental spec out dps's Enhancement, any thoughts?

Insahnity
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
There's a lot of good information on enhancement shamans on ElitistJerks.com. Actually, if you don't find it on EJ, I will be surprised, it's a matter of being able to read it. The only exception, is of course, tanking, which why we come here, but EJ still has good info there on the subject.

Enhancement is a bit more complicated than elemental, so it is easier to screw up. I would say given 2 skilled dps shamans, both the enh and ele will perform equally.

Enh shaman brings THE best melee dps buffs. The Strength of Earth Totem improved is better than the DK Horn of Winter, Imp Windfury is better than Icy Talons, and so on. if you have a lot of melee, plan for an enh shaman, if you have more casters, pack an ele shaman. If you don't care then pick that which suits your style. I will re-iterate, if you button mash, you will get slightly better results as ele than enh, but both will suffer severely if you don't understand a proper ability priority system. Also, soloing is better as enh, if you spend time grinding or farming and your gear is not ICC level, pick enh.

Ion
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Elemental is easier to do, but will do less DPS than Enhancement in most groups (it'd take a pretty melee-unfriendly group for an elemental shaman to out-dps an enhance).

Unfortunately there's no "just do this and win" version of how to DPS as enhancement, what you do depends on your gear, your set bonuses, your haste level...even how you enchant to some extent is dependent on that. The priority chain is pretty long for enhance too (I believe I have 14 things in mine). Unfortunately it's pretty complicated to figure out too.

You can get EnhSim at: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t82621-enhsim_updated_thread/ it also helps to have Rawr so you can export your stats to EnhSim and fiddle around with your priorities until you get the best DPS for your given set up.

Generally, though:

MW5 LB > *
Feral Spirits > everything but MW5 LB
Keep Lightning Shield on yourself
Flame Shock > Earth Shock when FS isn't on the target
Stormstrike when the debuff isn't on the target
Magma totem when it's not down (fire ele on bosses)
Lava Lash
Fire Nova

It can get more complicated, obviously...it also depends on your set bonuses (SR becomes a DPS cooldown w/the 2pT10, until you have 4pT10 it can be beneficial to LB on MW4, etc).

Shaman
06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info, It helped alot. I've read through Elitistjerks info, was great.

clockwork.satan
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey, glad to see someone else who's interested in an Enhancement Shaman!

My Enh Shammie (Armoury Linky (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azuremyst&cn=Kolgaru)) is sitting with a GS of about 5.3k at the moment and I'm finding that I'm consistently in the top 5 DPS'ers in my guild. In fact, on the weekly 25 the other day there in OS I come out on top, which just about blew my socks off... In ICC I've had it soar to 8.3k and balancing out at about 6.5k. I can't wait to see what I'll be hitting with really good gear!

As the other guys said, it's all about priorities with an Enh Shaman. Keeping track of those on the vanilla UI can be a bit tricky so it can be difficult to get the most out of your DPS. Thankfully, there's a fantastic addon called 'Shock & Awe' on which you can set up a customised priority list which will show you which ability is next on CD so that you have as little downtime as possible.

One of the most important things to keep an eye on is your mana, as an OOM Enh Shaman is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, so Shamanistic Rage is your best friend. Love it and hug it and call it George. When you pop SR every melee hit you do regens some of your mana and sometimes triples the amount you get back from Stormstrike if you hit a crit.

In terms of stats, Agility, Attack Power and Haste are what you should be looking for. It's also uber important to get hit-capped ASAP - it needs to be at about 700 in order for you to be hitting home with every swing and spell. Weapon enchants are also uber important, with Berserker and Black Magic being the two best to go for, IMHO.

Hedda
07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
In terms of stats, Agility, Attack Power and Haste are what you should be looking for. It's also uber important to get hit-capped ASAP - it needs to be at about 700 in order for you to be hitting home with every swing and spell. Weapon enchants are also uber important, with Berserker and Black Magic being the two best to go for, IMHO.

This is not correct, please refer to Elitist Jerks or even google for stat caps.
The important cap to reach for an enhancement shaman is the spell hit, wich is 446 for horde, 420 if you are a Draenei, both of these is without Moonkin/Spriest. With that, the cap is 368 or 342 if you are a Draenei.

Dual Berserking is the enchants to have, Black Magic was at some point thought to be better, but proved not to be.

I also never have heard about stacking agility.
Priority should be spellhit cap, 30% (ish) crit unbuffed, then either AP or haste.

-Xh/Hedda

dmfg
07-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Enhancement is fun to play and useful for PuGs, but gets hard to justify raid spots for if you're trying to build good raids for endgame content. The only unique buff is the marginal extra Str/Agi from Enhancing Totems - everything else is just done better by other classes that should be in the raid to begin with (Frost DK + MM Hunter + Demo Lock + Resto Shaman, and you're now pretty much obselete).

The DPS also suffers in relation to other DPS classes for 2 main reasons:

1. As with Elemental, your DPS seems to be balanced around the assumption that you're using your Fire DPS totems - which means you need someone else to provide the SP buff. Usually not a problem in 25 mans, but in 10 mans expect your DPS to suffer (quite a lot!) if you have to drop Flametongue.

2. Enhance seems to lose a lot more DPS in movement fights than other melee classes. This is probably a combination of a lack of movement speed increasers, and the requirement to burn GCDs refreshing totems, especially Magma with its short duration and tiny range.

feralminded
07-29-2010, 05:17 AM
2. Enhance seems to lose a lot more DPS in movement fights than other melee classes. This is probably a combination of a lack of movement speed increasers, and the requirement to burn GCDs refreshing totems, especially Magma with its short duration and tiny range. This. I've guilded/raided with the best Enh shaman on my server plenty of times and he absolutely gets demolished on Putricide, Princes, and Lich King by nearly all the rest of the melee. In a pure DPS scenario (Saurfang) he can usually hang (although he's never top 3), once the fight goes mobile it's just all bad for him.

On the other hand our elemental shaman is king of the ranged and is our preferred first bite on BQ.

clockwork.satan
07-30-2010, 12:04 AM
This is not correct, please refer to Elitist Jerks or even google for stat caps.

Erm... Actually I'm over-capped by about 67 according to be.imba.hu which places the melee hit cap at around 700 to my calculations, but are you saying that the melee hit isn't important? Should I drop it down to 420-ish?

I did have dual berserking before I got my new weapon which I enchanted with BM but I've not really noticed a big difference. So that berserker on one hand and BM on the other, just to see the difference, btw. I'll prolly switch back to dual Berserker though, ta!

Ok, you got me on the agility bit. Since all (?) shaman mail items come with high levels of agility I wouldn't recommend gemming for it - I nearly always gem/enchant for AP/Crit/Haste. Crit's sitting at nearly 40% unbuffed atm, but I need to work on the haste.

Hedda
07-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Erm... Actually I'm over-capped by about 67 according to be.imba.hu which places the melee hit cap at around 700 to my calculations, but are you saying that the melee hit isn't important? Should I drop it down to 420-ish?

I did have dual berserking before I got my new weapon which I enchanted with BM but I've not really noticed a big difference. So that berserker on one hand and BM on the other, just to see the difference, btw. I'll prolly switch back to dual Berserker though, ta!

Ok, you got me on the agility bit. Since all (?) shaman mail items come with high levels of agility I wouldn't recommend gemming for it - I nearly always gem/enchant for AP/Crit/Haste. Crit's sitting at nearly 40% unbuffed atm, but I need to work on the haste.

Melee hitcap is not important, but spell hitcap is. After that, hitrating looses alot of it's value as it's only contributing to your white hits. Therefor other stats at that point, like AP/haste gives more bang for the buck :)
More hit won't hurt you, but it's probably wiser to gem/enchant for other stats.

Dual berserking was theorycrafted to be better then Berserking/BM, how big the difference was I don't remember. Keep in mind though, that alot of the theorycrafting done is min/maxing, and the margins could be small.

-Xh/Hedda

dmfg
07-30-2010, 06:29 AM
You don't need to hit the DW melee hit cap. Hit is the best stat up to the spell hit cap, after which you should start running simulations to see what you should gear next.

Hit does become the best stat again as you approach BiS gear levels, where you start becoming crit capped (i.e., where your crit % is higher than (100% - miss chance - dodge change)), since hit then effectively starts giving both crit and melee hit.

Hedda
07-30-2010, 07:05 AM
You don't need to hit the DW melee hit cap. Hit is the best stat up to the spell hit cap, after which you should start running simulations to see what you should gear next.

Hit does become the best stat again as you approach BiS gear levels, where you start becoming crit capped (i.e., where your crit % is higher than (100% - miss chance - dodge change)), since hit then effectively starts giving both crit and melee hit.

If your crit capped, doesn't the hit you gain after that automatically convert to crit?

-Xh/Hedda

dmfg
07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
If your crit capped, doesn't the hit you gain after that automatically convert to crit?

-Xh/Hedda

Yes, that's what I meant by "since hit then effectively starts giving both crit and melee hit". Did I word that in a confusing way?

Hedda
07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, that's what I meant by "since hit then effectively starts giving both crit and melee hit". Did I word that in a confusing way?

Either that, or I'm just a non-native english speaker and really really tired at the same time ;)

-Xh/Hedda

clockwork.satan
08-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Do you guys know what the crit cap is, btw?

dmfg
08-02-2010, 06:20 AM
The crit cap depends on your exact combat stats. From Wowwiki, this is the melee attack table (with items at the bottom getting pushed off first):

Miss (don't apply DW penalty for special attacks)
Dodge
Parry (0% since you're attacking from behind)
Glancing Blow
Block (0% since you're attacking from behind)
Critical hit
Crushing Blow (0% for players)
Normal hit

Apparently glancing % is 24% for white attacks and 0% for specials (correct me if this is out of date), meaning your crit cat on white attacks is

(76% - white attack miss chance - dodge chance)

And on special attacks:

(100% - special attack miss chance - dodge chance).

I'm not an expert on Enhance but from this is looks like you always want to be expertise capped to begin with, making dodge chance 0.

Kazeyonoma
08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
yes, glancing is 24% for white swings, 0 for special.