PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Need advice.

Luverboy
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Hello, i play a character named Luverboy, on the server Illidan. Protadin that is exceptionally geared, 8 pieces of 277 the rest 264. My query is, Lately it seems my threat just isnt comparable to our DPS and other tanks anymore. Maybe someone could look me up and give me some pointers? Or are paladin tanks just becoming more and more Obsolete?

Harmacy
06-15-2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&cn=Luverboy

I'm really at a loss here. You're using a lot of +hit pieces, poorly itemized ones at that (no reason not to use Pillars of Might if you're a serious tank). Your spec is bad but not skimping on the threat talents. (Skipping Judgements of the Just is unwise, it's a tremendous mitigation talent and should always be taken - don't rely on a co-tank or a DPS (Frost DK for example) to put up this debuff, because what happens if they die or have to run away or something of the sort. Get it yourself.)

The problem is not Paladins in general, our threat generation is fine. It's more likely that the threat issues are a result of bad play - whether it's you personally screwing up the rotation, or whether it's your raid's fault for not MDing, or one of the rogues Tricksing a DPS right off the pull (you likely need that initial threat boost from Tricks - later on they can use it for a DPS boost), or maybe you just have a few idiot DPS who don't spec their threat reduction talents. Maybe a combination of all of them.

I could recommend some band-aid fixes like the Libram of Valiance, but I doubt it would help if there is a serious underlying issue here.

Lumines
06-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Simple question: what's your rotation?

Do you have a log for us to look at?

Luverboy
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Rotation is the simple 969, I have it in 1 macro and bound to Mouse wheel Scroll up. My mouse is some type of logitech with a ball bearing so it rolls through the rotation till i come into cooldown issues. At that point i'll throw in an avengers shield/holy wrath, Whatever is up. As per itemization, ATM im taking whats obtainable, the hit is because well, Everyone needs hit and im just a bit below hit cap with that gear, my expertise is fine with the glyph of vengeance so yeah. Pillars of might would be nice however the next 277 conq mark im taking for t10.5 legs.

MellvarTank
06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Rotation is the simple 969, I have it in 1 macro and bound to Mouse wheel Scroll up.

My query is, Lately it seems my threat just isnt comparable to our DPS and other tanks anymore. Maybe someone could look me up and give me some pointers? Or are paladin tanks just becoming more and more Obsolete?

I don't know any serious tank that does this.

Lumines
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Rotation is the simple 969, I have it in 1 macro and bound to Mouse wheel Scroll up. My mouse is some type of logitech with a ball bearing so it rolls through the rotation till i come into cooldown issues. At that point i'll throw in an avengers shield/holy wrath, Whatever is up.

See, if you were following a 969 you wouldn't ever run into cooldown issues or have the room for an AS or HW. While there are a minority of tanks who use 969 macros (yes, a few high-end tanks included), judging by the last discussion on the matter on Maintankadin, you really need to know what you're doing for it to not be a TPS or utility loss over knowing your abilities and executing a tight 969 correctly through individual keybinds.

I'd recommend losing the macro and doing your 969 by hand, hitting each ability before/as it's coming off cooldown to minimise the delay between each action. It's only 5 abilities, after all, and if your mousewheel-bound macro is causing any gaps in your rotation then it's doing you far more harm than good.

Lumines
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh, and regarding Judgements of the Just: Harmacy is absolutely correct in asserting that it's an indispensable mitigation talent (it really is mandatory for any raid tanking build), but it also causes Judgements to proc seals (probably not intended). Not having any points is not only a huge no-no in terms of reducing incoming damage, it's also costing you some threat.

(Although of course you have to compare it with what you're spending those two points on; Conviction is a rather poor threat talent in 264+ gear but I have no idea if 2% crit out-threats the unintended bonus threat from JoTJ. Probably not. Regardless, you don't pick it up for the threat, it's just a nice bonus)

Luverboy
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for your advice, taking it to heart. Appreciate it much.