PDA

View Full Version : Healing Disc Priest In Need of Help

Ocuus
06-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I recently attempted ICC 10 as a tank healer. My heals felt slow and sluggish and i had a hard time keeping the tanks topped off. We barely made it past rotface and wiped and festurgut. Most of the fights i was running OOM towards the end of the fight after using divine hymn and my shadowfiend.

I know i need to get new trinkets and replace a couple of the pvp pieces of gear i have.

How are my gems and enchants?

Any help would be greatly helpful.

I start out most fights by shielding and castng PoM on tanks. I use penance and PoM as soon as they are off cool down. And spam Flash heal in between.

Here is my link..

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&cn=Ocuus

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Feathermoon&name=ocuus

Bashal
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok, not an expert, so you'll want to wait and see what someone else has to say, too:

It looks like your haste and int are too low. Change your gemming to haste gems (make sure you keep your meta gem active though!), get the triumph badge trinket that adds 128 int.

I'm assuming you had your full healing set on in the armory? If so, lose the last few DPS pieces, you had almost 300 hit rating. Try to get that down to zero on your healing set. ;)

If you can, try to find pieces that replace that hit rating with haste. Once you have accomplished that as much as you can, you may feel you have too much haste; you can switch some or all of the haste gems to int.

Braindamage
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I can not look at your armory ATM. But ... start with PW:S and PoM as you mentioned. PW:S as soon as it expires and the Weakened Soul debuff has worn off. I generally keep Renew ticking on tanks. Then use Penance / Flash Heal in that order as needed and when avaiable. Don't forget about Pain Suppression ... use where appropriate and as often as possible.

If you are not using PW:S as much as possible this is quite possibly why you are going OOM as it is the most efficient heal (mitigator) we have. When I tank heal I find that I do not do a large amount of direct heals (penance/flash heal), so if you cast these often ask yourself if you need to, or are they just over healing? You also mentioned that you keep PoM on cooldown ... I hope you mean that you recast once it is no longer active. This spell bounces around to different targets and should only be recast once it is no longer active ... not once it is off cooldown. Unit frames and addons can help determine when it is no longer active. This would waste considerable mana if kept on cooldown.

All gems/chants should be spellpower with the only exception being intelligence/MP5 if you really have mana issues. Discipline is a very mana efficient spec and I rarely have any mana issues

Ocuus
06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the replies i will work on re-gemming as well as new trinkets and the last few pieces of gear. Would it be more efficiant to have a staff or a MH and OF?

Again thanks for all the help.

Bashal
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I keep hearing that 1h healing weapon + offhand provides the most benefit, the exception being if your main-hand and offhand are terrible. ;)

Harmacy
06-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I start out most fights by shielding and castng PoM on tanks. I use penance and PoM as soon as they are off cool down. And spam Flash heal in between.

Need moar PW:S. It's an amazing spell - really the only situations where you can't throw around the occasional bubble is when the tank is taking huge focused damage, like Festergut at 3 stacks. Maybe Marrowgar too (at least when he's not busy spinning around and belching frostfire). You have the right idea using PoM as much as possible, although you got some solid advice earlier - don't waste the mana recasting it if it's already active on the target you want it to be on.

For weapon, go with whatever has the best spellpower in general. Since you're having mana issues, maybe a nice staff would be good for you (staves usually have more intellect and spirit at the expense of throughput stats) but really just grab whatever and gear around it.

Spec and glyphs are solid. Gear is not - there is no reason for a Disc Priest to gem anything besides Spellpower or Intellect in significant quantities. Lose a lot of the hybrid gems (and definitely the useless +10 stats gem). Since you're having mana issues, go after more intellect.

Aside from that (obviousness alert) - PvP gear and +hit gear are not good for PvE healing. You're stacked with resilience and hit rating, and of course your PvP gear has little intellect so your mana pool suffers. You have a lot of badge farming to do:

- Get Talisman of Resurgence or Tears of the Vanquished (both solid regen trinkets) to replace your blue trinket. Aim to replace the Darkmoon Card with Nevermelting Ice Crystal, from one of the new 5-mans.

- There are also nice boots, a caster MP5 dagger, a decent offhand, two nice necklaces, and a cloak from the new 5-mans.

- If you have a spare 1k or so, grab Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers, which are damn good.

- Get both of the Triumph rings.

http://chardev.org/?profile=422086 is what your new armory would look like. 28 hit rating (that wand is hard to replace) and 0 resil, trading those useless stats for crit, haste, intellect, and spellpower. (I didn't bother enchanting or gemming everything in the profile, just slapped the gear in there)

This will take quite a bit of farming and will obviously take some time, but would make you a much more effective healer.

Mačl
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
You will always have a pretty hard time keeping a tank topped off as a Disc. We haven't been tank healers since patch 3.2. Shaman and Pallies are better at that.

Having gotten that out of the way you need to keep PW:S and Prayer of Mending rolling and save Penance for when you need a big heal RIGHT NOW.
As Disc your primary stat is spellpower. That's the only thing that increases your healing. Don't go chasing after haste. It's a nice stat but all you need is on the gear you pick up. Don't use gems that don't have spellpower on them. sp/int for yellow sockets, sp/spirit for blue sockets pure spellpower for red sockets.
Also you should rethink your meta gem.

Your gear isn't quite up to scratch. You can't expect to raid in a mixture of pvp/dps stuff and do well. Almost all of your equipment(apart from T9) has at least one stat that is complete and utterly useless for pve.

Bashal
06-16-2010, 07:10 AM
As Disc your primary stat is spellpower. That's the only thing that increases your healing. Don't go chasing after haste. It's a nice stat but all you need is on the gear you pick up. Don't use gems that don't have spellpower on them. sp/int for yellow sockets, sp/spirit for blue sockets pure spellpower for red sockets.

This is good for me to know, since I'm leveling a disc priest right now. Looks like I was a little off-base. ;)

Ocuus
06-16-2010, 08:48 AM
WOW!!! Thank You for all the information. Looks like im going badge farming..........