PDA

View Full Version : I want to understand Spanish better when spoken.

Valandris
06-15-2010, 06:39 AM
I took two classes in high school, still retain a great deal of it (although I do have a dictionary reference in case I forget). I play WoW in Spanish, I've communicated with ppl in Spanish before. I am literate in it, and when it comes to speak, my southern accent does show itself XD, and I don't know how to make the rr sound, but the primary problem I have is understanding Spanish when someone speaks to me in it. It's just too fast for me to hear. /cry

dotOrion
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Perhaps if you could get on Vent/Teamspeak with some people that speak it, you could attempt to converse with them in Spanish, giving you the chance to ask them to slow down a bit if you can't follow.

Most of it is probably practice, to be honest.

Reev
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I have the opposite problem. I'm proficient in spoken Spanish, though not fluent. I learned it without classes, and I work with a lot of folks from South America, so I'm communicating in it on a daily basis, and attending parties which are entirely in Spanish etc, so my spoken Spanish is reasonably good, as well as my listening. Writing, though, I fall apart. I never learned the grammar you get from actually taking classes, and my vocabulary level is like a 3rd grade student.

My recommendation if you want to get better at understanding it is just to practice it. A lot. If possible, go down and stay in a South American country for a month or two. The people generally don't speak English, so you're forced to communicate in Spanish, and I've never met a person in South America unfriendly to gringos who are willing to attempt to communicate with them in Spanish. It's a great time, you learn a lot, and you meet some great people. I had the fortune to get to do that for work, but I know people who have done it on their dime. The main trick is that you can't go with anyone else who speaks English or you end up copping out and using English sometimes through sheer mental exhaustion, and that ruins the learning.