PDA

View Full Version : Tanking ICC Warrior Tanking Advice

stoneybeard
06-15-2010, 05:57 AM
I have been tanking ICC10/25 for about a month now. Always as the OT i dont seem to get as much threat as other clases.
DK's and Paladin's out threat me not just trash but on the bosses as well. Where i can survive the fights with little problem i had a DK pull back in the saurfang fight to let me maintain threat from the taunt. And the other day a 5k GS pala was running the same threat as me.
well thats my problem so to speak. I need to improve for icc and would appreciate any comments from people.
Here is my build. Icks thumb is up for replacing along with the belt.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&cn=Stoneybeard
My Rotation is
AoE => Cleave - charge - SW - TC - tab - Cleave repeat on CD
single => HS - charge - then HS/Dev/Rev/SS whatever is off CD

Aggathon
06-15-2010, 06:23 AM
for AoE, trip tclap -> sw -> tclap, it should help a lot with initial threat.

For single target it needs to be a priority.

For threat: SS -> rev -> sw -> devastate
If you want to do more dps, then switch rev and SS. Using shield block at the begining for more spike threat is also a very smart move.

As far as threat goes, everything looks in order. Your spec/glpyhs are correct, expertise/hit levels are more than acceptable, though maybe eat expertise food during raids. Make sure your HS uptime is high, it needs to be 90%+ if at all possible.

Kyoki
06-15-2010, 06:25 AM
for icks thumb i would replace it with the black heart from reg 5 man toc

Aslong as your above the def cap you should be gemming for pure stam plus a red/blue normally dodge/stam for your meta gem. 275 health is also better then 10 stats for your chest and the 30stam/res enchant is better for your shoulder.

for your rotation

you put 2/3 in iron will but 0/2 in imp charge, why oh why did you do that. I normally take glyph of command over battle since as prot i use commanding.

i dont think i missed anything but if i did im sure others will catch it.

aoe charge in TC take a step back and hit SW so they are all grouped. Then the priority i use is TC, SW, revenge, devestate, SS, and always que up cleave at all times.

single priority is = SS, revenge, SW, devestate, basically use that priority list, im not really where the proper priority is for heroic throw and concussion but i put them the same as devestate.

also

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?60155-Agg-s-Prot-War-Tanking-Guide

Caine
06-15-2010, 06:33 AM
One thing to keep in mind stoney is that you are not competing for threat with other tanks. Threat generation is not a competition like it is for dps classes.

Now, if your threat output cannot handle the dps players in your raid when your actively tanking, then you have a problem that needs addressing.

Past that, besides what Aggathon statedm make sure your putting Vigilance on the appropriate target. High threat melee classes are best, such as paladins and dps warriors. Also applywhat he said for your rotation/priority system for single and multi.

For your saurfang example, I think that's fairly normal for a tank to throttle thier threat during taunt off to ensure the transition goes smoothly. We do the same in my guild, where myself and the other tank will stop dps when the boss is pulled off for about 2 seconds so the new tank can get a solid aggro lead.

Harmacy
06-15-2010, 06:51 AM
One thing to keep in mind stoney is that you are not competing for threat with other tanks. Threat generation is not a competition like it is for dps classes.

Now, if your threat output cannot handle the dps players in your raid when your actively tanking, then you have a problem that needs addressing.

Past that, besides what Aggathon statedm make sure your putting Vigilance on the appropriate target. High threat melee classes are best, such as paladins and dps warriors. Also applywhat he said for your rotation/priority system for single and multi.

For your saurfang example, I think that's fairly normal for a tank to throttle thier threat during taunt off to ensure the transition goes smoothly. We do the same in my guild, where myself and the other tank will stop dps when the boss is pulled off for about 2 seconds so the new tank can get a solid aggro lead.

Totally agreed. It's expected for a tank to slow down on taunt-switching fights, like Saurfang or Festergut or even Lich King (or Toravon, if you don't know ICC that well). After the other tank taunts, you give a few seconds to hold aggro, then begin going through your rotation a bit, careful to give enough breathing room on Omen.

stoneybeard
06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the speedy responces. Its good to know i am not completly out of it, and just need tweeking.

Ill try to rearrange my rotation for better effect, and now i know the trick of the mt pulling back to let me gain thrt im not so bothered. I am in a small guild where iam the only tank so am self taught but learning.

I was thinking of replacing the glyph of battle for command. I am also going to replace ick for the key, and the belt for the chain belt (assuming nothing drops b4).
But from what i have garnered from your replies my gear/spec/glyphs are Ok depending on your tanking style, and not to worry about it being a tps race.

Now all i need to do if find a group in search of the 5th boss :)