PDA

View Full Version : Tanking is blood tank spec necessarily better than frost

latormenta
06-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello, I have heard a lot about blood tanking and have seen quite a few players in blood for tanking. Can someone enlighten me, is blood better for tanking ICC than frost. Or is it basically a wash as to which play style you prefer. I would like to know if being a blood tank would make me have more survivability or should i just stay frost, and if so is the current spec i have ok or are there changes you would make? Thank you
Latormenta
Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korgath&cn=Latormenta&gn=Pacem+Para+Bellum (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korgath&cn=Latormenta&gn=Pacem+Para+Bellum)

damianicus
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Have heard the buzz about this too, that Blood is the new tank spec. Sorry don't have a link to any info for ya.

Fledern
06-15-2010, 12:00 AM
If you're good & know what you're doing, both are capable. Personally i find frost tanking requires a more precise gear setup and is slightly less survivable. The "less survivable" bit is largely dependent on the bossfight in question and your particular raid setup - and by no means indicates "impossible" or "near impossible".

Frost tanking focuses on reducing incoming damage while blood tanking focuses on higher EH and active self healing. If you're progression tanking, you may find the EH priceless. I personally like the great flexibility afforded by active selfhealing. I've pulled off some very weird stunts with that.

The only part about blood tanking that i dont like is the aoe threat. With the 20% buff and all aoe dps going nuts 0.000001 sec into the fight, it's near impossible to keep proper aoe aggro as blood.

Blizzard has announced that they'll be revisiting DK trees and that they're dropping "each tree can do tank or dps" ideal for DK in Cataclysm. Thus, they've singled out the Blood tree to be the tanking tree. If you're gearing up, keep that in mind as you'll need a good tanking 2h.

Harmacy
06-15-2010, 12:24 AM
My DK is fail so I can't comment as to which is easier or more effective for threat. But as a healer main, I've healed both specs and noticed very little difference between the two.

Blood gets 3% extra stam, some self-healing (Death Strike and Rune Tap are very potent if you know how to use them, useless if you don't), and a nice cooldown that boosts total health and healing recieved - Frost gets 2% flat damage reduction, 3% avoidance (not crucial but still nice), and a cooldown that boosts armor (very good for physical damage, which is most of ICC).

Try them both out!

edit: I will say that you are missing several crucial talents in your current tank spec. 5/5 Toughness is required - the boost to armor is huge for mitigation. I see little use for Chilblains or Hungering Cold for PvE, those points would be better spent in say Bladed Armor or Endless Winter for more threat. And you need to fix your spec anyways, you're using a 2her so the points in DW talents are worthless (make sure to grab 2/2 2h Spec in the blood tree, 4% extra weapon damage is no small matter).

PatrikL
06-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Frost takes less damage than blood and is in my opinion a little bit easier to play. The big advantage with blood is that you control quite a lot of healing yourself and can even out the spike damage using Death Strike and Rune Tap. It does however require some practise to use them both effectively, at the right times. With Improved Rune Tap you can heal yourself instantly for say 13k (at 65k hp) every 30 seconds and combined with two quick Death Strikes for 9,75k each you can effectively heal yourself for over 30k (50% of your maximum hp) in around a second which is much faster than your healers can react if they arent casting already. This requires you have the neccessary runes/abilities available of course but just giving you an example of how powerful it can be.

Aitch
06-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I have two tanking specs, Blood and frost. I was using frost for 5 man dungeons and 10/25 man trash. Then switching to blood for bosses.

This worked well because the frost would give great snap aoe agro, and in a lot of cases let me hold aoe agro even when DPS didn't give me much time to ramp up aoe threat.

Since Blizzard announced that they will be making blood the tanking tree I've been using blood exclusively and I'm going to drop the frost tank spec for a DPS spec. The problem I've got is the lack of snap AOE agro. If I get agro at the start it's usually fine, I can generally hold it for the duration, but If I'm trying play catch up, I'm screwed.

Now you may well be asking why I'm doing this if I can use frost and not worry about aoe agro? Well my thinking is that unless Blizzard add a snap aoe agro to our bag of tricks, this is how it's going to be in cata, and I'd like to learn how to tank properly in blood now rather than when Cata comes out.

So far it's going well, though the people in my group/raid may disagree... ;)

I've got back into the habit of tabbing through mobs to see who is chasing me on agro and stopping them, but boy it's rough at times.

Aitch

gacktt
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
For 5 mans I love frost, because you can howling blast->dnd and afk. But for tanking harder content blood is better because it has a lot more survivability.

latormenta
06-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the great information. I am currently tanking icc 10 heroic and icc 25 on a regular basis, I have not had many issues on holding agro on mobs or bosses. I wanted to learn about the survivablity of blood tanking and I was just wondering what the main differences are in the two respective trees with respect to tanking and you guys have answered those. As far as my spec is concerned, I know i need to re-arrange some things in there, but this was the spec i was using when i was dual wield tanking and just have not gone back and changed it, but i will now, because tbh i had forgotton about it until some one brought it up here...lol. Also one other thing, I was told that the Heroic RBC i have was bis for tanks is that true or is there another i should be looking for. Once again thank you guys for all the great info i sincerely appreciate it.

Latormenta

spoliden
06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Well in dungeons and what not i can always heal frost better but blood is more dps i think.