PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Threat and Survivability

Alad
06-14-2010, 12:08 AM
I need help with my prot warrior.First of all His threat with bosses ive tried new rotations new specs and nothing seems to work. Second Whenever im in a boss fight if i have the boss i will die quickly. This is my WoW armory link i have sum good gear and sum from when naxx was "the raid" lol.[http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terokkar&cn=Alad]. If anyone can help me id greatly appreciate it.

Harmacy
06-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Prot warriors don't have a "rotation" per se, it's more of a priority system. Shield Slam is your #1 priority, followed by Revenge, followed by Devastate spam. Burn any excess rage with Heroic Strike (if you're tanking a raid boss, there will be plenty of excess rage).

Some issues with your armory:

- Deep Wounds >>>> Improved Cleave. You also have 0 points in the parry talent, which is a huge no-no - avoidance may not be our #1 stat but you should still be talenting into it. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:cT is what I use and recommend. There are several variations, and the third glyph slot is flexible (Last Stand, Taunt, Cleaving, Blocking, Vigilance - there are numerous options), but it hits all the core stuff.

- You're missing many enchants, and have poor ones in other spots. Weapon needs an enchant (I would use a weapon chain, or +26 agility for now - once you get a nice weapon, even just Rimefang's, get something nice like Accuracy, Mongoose, or Blood Draining - research what they do and decide what stats you need more). Shield needs a better enchant, try +18 stamina. Shoulders should have the +30 stam PvP enchant, gloves need something (Armsman is OK for threat production, but I prefer +18 stam or +240 armor for a bit more EH), boots should probably have Tuskarr's Vitality, and cloak should have +225 armor.

- Dodge trinket is another bad choice, avoidance is pretty weak in general. Get Black Heart out of reg ToC 5man.

- Don't gem pure avoidance. In fact, most of your gems should be +30 stam ignoring socket bonuses.

- Get those professions up! Profession bonuses are very nice. I would drop Herbalism though, because the heal is not potent enough to be any use to a raider. Enchanting is a good if expensive choice, though.

Alad
06-14-2010, 02:48 AM
ok tyvm i will do that but i do have a question why should i not use the avoidance trinkets avoidance helps so u dnt get hit although wen i think about it warr tanks need to get hit to get rage

Harmacy
06-14-2010, 02:50 AM
The problem with that reasoning is that avoidance is not a reliable source of damage reduction. Sure you might dodge the attack, or you could get clobbered with 2 to 3 in a row. Better to have the EH (Effective Health, armor and health) to withstand those hits and give your healers more breathing room.

Alad
06-14-2010, 02:51 AM
and another question what prof should i do instead of herb my friends tell me mining b/c of the extra stam.

Alad
06-14-2010, 02:53 AM
ok so NO avoidance gems or chants just what i get from gear

Harmacy
06-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Well you need one purple gem to activate your meta. Agility or dodge are both options for that, as is expertise if you need threat. Everything else, +30 stam is the best.

And Mining is a very good option for tanks. Blacksmithing and JC are the most flexible PvE professions though, in case you need to DPS - but they require gold, while mining just requires time. Your decision.

Alad
06-14-2010, 03:19 AM
kk ty