PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Feral Tank Gemming

Chasca
06-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Hello TankSpot,

I have noticed as of lately that many high geared Feral Tank's are using straight +30 stam gem's as opposed to 10 agility & 15 stamina gem's. And to be specific I don't mean in a few slots. I mean every single slot is gemmed with stamina only. Now, my question would be is it really worth the sacrafice of midigation to pad your health pool? Granted, there is a dodge nerf debuff in ICC, but there is also a 20% hp increase. Which in my mind atleast, more then even's it out. Anyone's opinion on this matter would be awesome. Thx!

Raysere
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Hello TankSpot,

I have noticed as of lately that many high geared Feral Tank's are using straight +30 stam gem's as opposed to 10 agility & 15 stamina gem's. And to be specific I don't mean in a few slots. I mean every single slot is gemmed with stamina only. Now, my question would be is it really worth the sacrafice of midigation to pad your health pool? Granted, there is a dodge nerf debuff in ICC, but there is also a 20% hp increase. Which in my mind atleast, more then even's it out. Anyone's opinion on this matter would be awesome. Thx!

You simply get more bang for your buck out of Stamina. Agility gives a mix of avoidance (dodge) and mitigation (armor) but avoidance is a fairly weak mechanic in the current state of play, and Stamina (EHP) comes out on top. Refer to the theorycraft forum, there are some great references on the Stamina vs. Avoidance debate if you want to research the subject more.

Harmacy
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I hear a lot of misinformation regarding Bears, mainly how they have lower avoidance so they need to stack Agility in order to avoid being squishy.

The fact is that, except for tanking many adds or something that hits fast like Algalon, avoidance has very little to do with squishiness. You get plenty of dodge just from your gear alone - no need to augment it with gems and enchants. Better to aim for full stam to give your healers more room to work with.

Speaking as a mainspec healer, I always prefer a tank stacked with Stam and Armor (collectively known as EH, or Effective Health) compared to an avoidance-stacking squishtank. They require a bit more raw healing, but the damage is less spiky and you have more room for error. And at this stage in the game, healer mana can be taken for granted. (the only exception might be H Dreamwalker, and even then only if your DPS fails hard at interrupting frostbolts)

If you're concerned about your physical damage intake, seek out bonus armor. There is a fantastic armor trinket from Triumph badges, for instance.

Rune
06-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Hello TankSpot,

1 - Not sacrificing mitigation.....its avoidance you reduce
2 - 20% health increase isn't there to even things out. By nature of it's effect you get more hp per stamina and that means it makes that an even better stat. The avoidance nerf is ignorable in general.......its only real impact on maxing gear is to eliminate unhittable sets.