View Full Version : Tanking Orc Prot Warrior, 3 week old, gearing up

SeptimX
06-12-2010, 01:23 AM
dgen, my own thread now, :)

current armory link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bonechewer&cn=Septimx

the guide's i follow:
Agg's of course, and
Tinytanks: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?66111-Tankertots-Gear-your-Tank-in-LFD&highlight=trial+of+crusader

still gearing up, as funds come along, and AH bargains pop up now and then.
planned for next week or sooner: Boots of kingly upheaval, then those pillars of might.

got myself the HoR helm last night's drop :) lucky after 4 takes... still waiting for falric's axe....
and this 60 frost emblem belt: http://www.wowhead.com/item=50991

gemming +30 stam everywhere, 7 now, and soon to replace glove and bracer gems with +30 stam too...

currently at 230 hit, with 2 gems (20,16) and enchant helping (20)...

if i re-gem and re-enchant and re-armor padding for more stam, hit will be less than 180, is it ok with just that....:confused:

Passive
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Sure, you can tank just fine with much less hit than you have. Good use of your abilities will take you much further than 50 hit or so.

I noticed some of your gemming is slightly off however. You should never use parry/def or dodge/def gems (they have no stam!). You dont need to gem defense above crit immunity, which with the pvp shoulder enchant is 536. I wouldn't ever bother gemming or enchanting full +hit gems but you could consider replacing all your hit gems and your def/stam gems with hit/stam gems if you really wanted the hit.

Same goes for expertise enchants. I wouldn't lose 40 stam on bracers for the sake of 15 expertise. You're much better gemming red sockets with expertise/stam gems.

Remember that hit and expertise are dps/threat stats and your primary job as a tank is to stay alive. As long as you use your abilities well, mobs should stick on you just fine even with no hit or expertise gems or enchants.

Of course, gemming pure stamina is best for current progression raiding, however you're gearing up a new character in heroics, with dps who likely don't care to wait for threat, so going for some more hit or expertise is not such a bad thing.

Crommi
06-12-2010, 03:40 AM
planned for next week or sooner: Boots of kingly upheaval, then those pillars of might.
Get Pillars first, they are best-in-slot for most encounters until Cataclysm. Boots on the otherhand quite expensive to craft considering that they are probably the worst 264 tanking boots out there and most ICC25 pugs can complete Dreamwalker encounter who drops better itemized boots.

Tinytankz
06-12-2010, 11:30 AM
A few things to start
Dont worry about gemming or enchanting threat proper use of the prot priority system and glyphing devastate will be more than enough to help (glyph of blocking is also a nice glyph it is more block value and threat from SS)

Gear wise not sure if it is a mistake from half logging while looknig at gear but you are using a DPS ring (bloodshed band) if i were you i would use the ICC Rep ring (it is a 251 so if your GS padding it will be a boost) use your DPS spec to scrub in on some rep runs (you just kill trash to marrowgar then run out and reset)
Icks rotting thumb is nice to have in the bags (you will use it see the suarfang fight) but, black heart with 126 stam and a 7k armor proc is much much better. After you get a tank ring i think you will be able to drop most of your DEF gems as well and start putting straight stam on everything.
Thanks for using the guide and best of luck to you.

Harmacy
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
A few things to start
Dont worry about gemming or enchanting threat proper use of the prot priority system and glyphing devastate will be more than enough to help (glyph of blocking is also a nice glyph it is more block value and threat from SS)

Gear wise not sure if it is a mistake from half logging while looknig at gear but you are using a DPS ring (bloodshed band) if i were you i would use the ICC Rep ring (it is a 251 so if your GS padding it will be a boost) use your DPS spec to scrub in on some rep runs (you just kill trash to marrowgar then run out and reset)
Icks rotting thumb is nice to have in the bags (you will use it see the suarfang fight) but, black heart with 126 stam and a 7k armor proc is much much better. After you get a tank ring i think you will be able to drop most of your DEF gems as well and start putting straight stam on everything.
Thanks for using the guide and best of luck to you.

Mostly good advice, but... why would you use an avoidance trinket on Saurfang? He hits the mark when he performs a melee attack, regardless of whether it hits the tank or not. If you want to reduce the stress on your healers, use an armor trinket. Preferably two armor trinkets (if you're lucky enough to have UO) but one armor and one stam trinket will help too.

SeptimX
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Get Pillars first, they are best-in-slot for most encounters until Cataclysm. Boots on the otherhand quite expensive to craft considering that they are probably the worst 264 tanking boots out there and most ICC25 pugs can complete Dreamwalker encounter who drops better itemized boots.

agreed for the Pillars, but my armorer still has some REP (needs revered soon) farming/more icc runs to obtain them plans...
unless he has them over the weekend, haven't seen him yet today...

i don't have access to higher icc content, as i am still sizing up marrowgar... those kingly upheaval boots seems best for now, very tempting, also the hit looks nice...
and also only just started ashen rep farming myself (just 8 of us, core group), 1263/3000 to friendly to get my ring... then re-gem and re- enchant for more stam and armor on my gears...

our main backpack should be 24 slots, my bags are full of armor pieces... maybe a 32-slot armor bag should be made (wishlist)...
collecting bits and pieces, pack rat mode...

glyphing, i have taunt and cleaving slotted for now. devastate quite nice too, but simple mob and simple boss (upto HoR) rarely last more than a min or 2 or 3, always have time to devastate 5x...

Crommi
06-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Mostly good advice, but... why would you use an avoidance trinket on Saurfang? He hits the mark when he performs a melee attack, regardless of whether it hits the tank or not. If you want to reduce the stress on your healers, use an armor trinket. Preferably two armor trinkets (if you're lucky enough to have UO) but one armor and one stam trinket will help too.

Doesn't he gain BP from all abilities, including successful melee hits?

Griff
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm also guessing you have better mittens than the ones from regular blood furnace with a gatherer 'chant on them?

SeptimX
06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
of course i do, :) i am just usually mining in outland, when i have the time..
or trolling the AH for bargain primordial saronite..
or doing some icecrown and argent tourney daily/s for upto 100 or more gold per day.

still no luck with my armorer for the pillars of might :(

Harmacy
06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Doesn't he gain BP from all abilities, including successful melee hits?

Only if he hits you while you have Rune of Blood, which only occurs if the other tank is sleeping at the wheel.

SeptimX
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bonechewer&cn=Septimx

hmm found it quite hard if you have 4 melee 1 healer when facing of tyrannus... especially when i need to kite him to some ice patch :)

SeptimX
06-14-2010, 11:18 PM
hmm, got them Pillars of Might made, +90 stam gem, +55 frosthide, hmm but lost my defense cap and hit...

need to change out some other gear, less can't wear my new pants! :(

oh, found Usuri Brightcoin, moneychanger http://www.wowhead.com/npc=35790#sells
gonna get me some emblems of valor and try out that platinum mesh cloak http://www.wowhead.com/item=40722

Dobraine
06-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Yea I had the same problem when i got my pillar and boots as they are lacking on the defense side they just assume you get the defense from other gear the same ilvl which in most cases once your other gear catches up you will be fine

SeptimX
06-15-2010, 05:09 AM
found this signet of impregnable fortress http://www.wowhead.com/item=40718

solved my defense cap, upto 538...

now HIT is another problem...

Kyoki
06-15-2010, 05:46 AM
if your looking for more hit you can always get the accuracy or weapon chain on your weapon. Your chest also isnt enchanted right now but get the 275 health for it, neither is your cloak that i can see unless you replaced the 200 one already.

Also do some reg 5 man toc runs for the black heart and heroic fos for the tanking boots if your are not already going for them. I would consider going for the frost badge cloak and getting the hit on your weapon since it seems like the bigest upgrade from frost badges (yours is still 200). I know reg hor has a 219 tanking shield aswell. Do your voas every week and praying for that lucky glove drop also works.

On one more note if you put 20 def on your shield instead of the plating or def instead of armor on your cloak you can replace your def/stam gems with pure def.

SeptimX
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
On one more note if you put 20 def on your shield instead of the plating or def instead of armor on your cloak you can replace your def/stam gems with pure def.

pure +30 stam gems, and a nightmare tear or puissant dreadstone, whichever will be needed.

FoS and HoR so long as it's not training run for first timers...
ToC5, don't know why no one wants to do this with my group, probably afraid of horses/worgs...

SeptimX
06-17-2010, 11:11 PM
hmm finally got my kingly upheaval boots now.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bonechewer&cn=Septimx&gn=Big+mistakE

well to up defense, i had to juggle some enchants/armor kit to get defense to 538...

will be adding rowan's rifle in the mix, estimated net defense of 536, together with the pvp shoulder enchant of 15res, should still make me a def capped tank.