PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior struggling with spirits on LK25

Dasverlassen
06-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Tonight in ICC I was having a terrible time picking up the spirits that spawn in phase 2 and subsequently caused several wipes.

I made a macro for targeting the spirits and I tab around when they're about to spawn to try and get to them faster but I don't seem to be fast enough.

Are there any tips you guys can offer me aside from that or do I just need to work on my reactions time?

Griff
06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Most boss mods tell you who's getting the spirit so you can start off by intervening them. That'll get you into the neighborhood. Then, there is usually a heartbeat or two before they actually start whacking on the person in questions if youre right on top of them spamming shield slam/thundeclap or whatnot, you should be good to go.

Mert
06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Get a Hunter to MD the first and third and a Rogue to Tricks the second (or some other combination depending on how many Hunters and Rogues you have available). Also, get anyone who's going to spawn a spirit to run to about 1-2 yards behind the melee and face you - if done correctly, that will ensure the add spawns right in your range so you can hit it the moment it spawns. Play with nameplates on if you don't already (I suggest an addon like TidyPlates: ThreatPlates) so you can see straight away where they are and target them easier. Finally, their Shriek silences - I don't know how much of an effect that has on Warriors (a lot less than Paladins I'd imagine) but at the very least it'll probably stop your taunts from working so ask a healer or DPS to cleanse the silence off you whenever it arrives so you can always be putting more threat on the adds.

Good luck :)

MellvarTank
06-10-2010, 07:56 AM
The shriek will make it so that you can't taunt, however there are several other things you can do. Every ability other than thunderclap, taunt, shouts, etc. still works. Did you forget about heroic throw? Yeah, that will out-aggro anything anyone can do to that spirit. Also: People need to get the hell away from it.

Most importantly though: MARK YOUR TARGETS. If the spirits drop fast enough, the pickup is easier. Focus fire them down one at a time, and it is much easier. Hunter MD's and rogue Tricks will also help as Mert said. For the most part though, I found I wasn't silenced for taunts, and if I needed to do something else, battle charge/heroic throw were always ready.

Crommi
06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Most boss mods tell you who's getting the spirit so you can start off by intervening them. That'll get you into the neighborhood.

We found it better to have targeted player run to designated tanking spot and spawn spirit there, that way your melee doesn't have to run around chasing mobs and whole raid can pretty much stay stationary to keep "Pain and Suffering" damage spread and consistent.

As for that silence, I believe it's magic debuff and probably dispellable, although warrior tank can still use Mocking Blow while silenced to make it a non-issue.

Dasverlassen
06-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys, I downloaded Tidy frames and it seems to be a very good addon.
Any idea on what the spawn timer is on them? DBM probably has it but I didn't notice it. A couple times we had a spirit still up when the second/third would spawn and that made it more difficult, would it be safe to charge the second if the first is still up?

Crommi
06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes, you just need to lay as much threat as possible on first spirit so you can switch to second one soon as it spawns, but it usually doesn't happen during first transition phase because of the longer spawn timer.

MellvarTank
06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
As long as you can safely charge without the spirit turning on the raid and shrieking them to death, it's all good.

Mert
06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
The way we usually do it is position ourselves so the MT and OT are at a right angle to one another with the melee inside the "pocket" area between the two. The MT takes the first spirit and the OT takes the second then, when the third spawns, the MT taunts it and the OT picks up the third (and fourth on second transition). This stops any one person from having to tank too many Raging Spirits at once if your DPS isn't high enough to burn them down without some overlap.

Our setup looks something like this:

OT - RS melee Healers Other Ranged
RS Hunters
|
MT

So you never have two Raging Spirits facing the same way at any one time.

Passive
06-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I would recommend setting the scale on Threat Plates to something like 65% for all, 70% for mobs you don't have agro on. And opacity to about 70% too. This is a great addon but the default size can seriously get in the way of seeing other important stuff.

In terms of picking up the spirits, yeah its gona be pretty tough. If your job is to tank them all then make sure you are at least auto attacking it or it can easily run off and one shot a healer. I usually spam right click where its going to spawn and then try to get off a shield slam/devastate. It is important that your healers cleanse the silence asap. It can get a little bit tricky here and you should always make use of misdirects and tricks of the trade. If you don't have those, I would tell your dps to hold back a lot until you're comfortable with the best way to pick them up.

If you're only picking say the last add up in the first transition, you should make sure you're standing behind the other raging spirits and only move in front just before the last one spawns so you can pick it up easily.