PDA

View Full Version : Mage Getting mage raid ready after not playing her

Hügs
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I was a fire mage, I would like to switch to arcane and try that out. What do I need to do gear and spec and gem wise? Also what is the rotation? Are there any addons that I will be needing?

Here is my armory

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kalecgos&cn=Eversictal

Thanks for the help in advance!

Eversictal

Xodiv
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
You might like to start with this thread (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?67490-PVE-Magecraft-for-3.3.3-in-5-minutes).

Hügs
06-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks. I thought fire wasn't really viable anymore? Did that change?

Bashal
06-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks. I thought fire wasn't really viable anymore? Did that change?

Blizz tweaked it a bit in the last patch, iirc.

Hügs
06-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Woot! I get to stick with fire, I love fire <3

Deedles
06-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Fire is not only viable, but also more fun, and from my experiences better than arcane.

Since you are going from fire to arcane you need to alleviate alot of your hit, too far over cap.

Gear for haste. Abyssal Rune is an awesome farmable trinket, you should get it. You should also craft the ToC bracers, they're amazing. Use frost badges on tier gear first. The set bonuses are a huge dps increase.

Start farming triumphs, you have alot of work to do!

Deedles
06-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Woot! I get to stick with fire, I love fire <3

Not sure if you want to do that. Fire is shadowed by arcane until you have amazing gear.

Hügs
06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
This is an alt so I probably will stick with fire. Just for the fun factor. Is the Tier 10 gear good for fire as well? One post didn't seem to list Tier gear for gearing up.

Deedles
06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Its great for fire. However, to get the full benefit you need enough crit to get a hot streak within 2-3 casts to have good uptime on the 12% haste proc.

The 4p is just another awesome cooldown.

It's all a matter of play style. Arcane is very fast casts, but it can nom your mana very quickly. Fire is big hits and burns, great on the run too, great AoE as well. It simply doesn't shine without great gear.

I'd give arcane a shot if I were you, I wouldn't go back to it now that im fire (regemming is 'spensive), but missile barrage is one of the coolest (and coolest looking) talents.
pewpewpewpewpew!

Edit about your last comment:
They probably didn't list it as you need T9 first, and frost badges dont really come in fast enough until you're going fairly deep into ICC.

Hügs
06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Not in any hurry. I don't play much anymore, this might give me a reason to play though.