PDA

View Full Version : WoW from Afghanistan

Hanztoyerslf
06-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I will be deploying to Afghanistan in the near future. I will be taking my laptop with me and will have at least some connection to the internet. Has anyone had any experience trying to maintain an toon while deployed?

I actually started playing WoW because my wife picked it up during my last deployment, so I am probably the reverse of the normal guy bringing his girlfriend into the game mode. I have found that WoW is a great way to stay in contact with my wife and kids when I am physically far from them.

I will be 9 1/2 hours ahead of my normal server time, so that will be one interesting item to manage.

Krenian
06-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Eh, short of lag due to you being so far away from the US servers, I wouldn't see why not. Hopefully you got a pretty kickass Internet system down there and you guys can make use of it. I wouldn't see the huge difference, although it's purely stipulation on my end considering I don't serve.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Toushiro
06-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I've played with people that were over in Afghanistan and they had no problems. (other then there base being attacked)

Volador
06-09-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm not 100% certain about Afghanistan, but I know the folks in Iraq are able to play. They do end up with a few major issues. You've already mentioned one (time difference). The other two that you'll probably encounter while you're deployed are standard latency, and the general poor connection issues. The folks in Iraq weren't able to raid, but they were able to do instances and solo their toons.

If Cataclysm is anything like Wrath, you should still be able to keep up (probably at the 1 tier behind level) with the new currency from doing heroics. Levelling your toons should pose little issue.

Tinytankz
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
My Brother played for a bit (watch your laptop his blew up in his Humvee) slight lag but leatrix latency fix gave him only 400ms which meant he could raid. I wish you the best and hope it works for you

Destruyen
06-10-2010, 02:05 AM
my buddies in bagram said there was lots of lag and lots of disconnecting the last time i was over there in afghan (2006). although i didn't play wow, i just used the internet to check emails and stuff on the nipr so i didn't have to bother with the internet you'll have in your c hut in bagram or where ever you go.

its prolly changed alot since then so you might not have any worries.