PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Expertise vs. Upgrading

Metrobull
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I've been tanking ICC for a little while now and I've geared up rather well, my main concern now is what to upgrade (other than my trinkets because they're terribad). I'm trying to stay at 26 Exp, which I can do easily with an enchant on my bracers or by gemming the t10 shoulders when/if I get the vanquisher's mark.

Looking at my gear, etc. Do any of you have any "ideas"? I have a few other weapons in my inventory including http://www.wowhead.com/item=50798

IIRC I have about 44 EoF (just bought the cloak) I can easily get 11/12 in 25 and 12/12 in 10 worth of badges, I'm more or less after the vanq mark to get sanctified.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Detheroc&cn=Runeforged

Question 1:

Should I save up to 95 badges to get the sanctified helm and lose expertise or should I just get the sanctified shoulders?

Question 2:

Any constructive criticism towards my gear? I do well as MT/OT in ICC but I always feel as if there is a large room for improvement.

Thanks in advance!

-Runeforged (a.k.a. Metrobull)

Selene
06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
if you are going to go with an Expertise Enchant, enchant your gloves with it, enchanting your bracers is a HUGE stamina hit.

Change your weapon for http://www.wowhead.com/item=50798 it is a much better tanking weapon.
Also http://www.wowhead.com/item=50968 might be an option for your chest.

Metrobull
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks Selene :)

I was thinking about changing my weapon (which would put me over 26 exp) which would in turn open some more doors for possible upgrades, thanks for clarifying it :)

Any other suggestions out there?

Loganisis
06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I've been tanking ICC for a little while now and I've geared up rather well, my main concern now is what to upgrade (other than my trinkets because they're terribad). I'm trying to stay at 26 Exp, which I can do easily with an enchant on my bracers or by gemming the t10 shoulders when/if I get the vanquisher's mark.

How's your threat? Another option would be the expertise food (40 rating). But if your threat is okay, I'm not sure you need to be too worried.

Metrobull
06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
How's your threat? Another option would be the expertise food (40 rating). But if your threat is okay, I'm not sure you need to be too worried.

My threat on single target is incredibly high, so much so that I rip threat from our better geared tanks and need to drop to Blood Presence on some fights.

My AoE threat in ICC is near non existent... No matter how hard I try I just can't grab threat from the druid's swipe, pallies lol abilities and our warrior's shockwave + tclap :( (We have 4 tanks, available, but usually only have 2)

Gutfang
06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Keep in mind, you're a blood tank. With "Veteran of the Third War" you're automatically granted some bonus expertise, so the "26" number that floats around isn't necessarily gospel for you. It gives you a little more flexiblity in your decisionmaking and could help you keep a little more effective health.

Loganisis
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
My threat on single target is incredibly high, so much so that I rip threat from our better geared tanks and need to drop to Blood Presence on some fights.

My AoE threat in ICC is near non existent... No matter how hard I try I just can't grab threat from the druid's swipe, pallies lol abilities and our warrior's shockwave + tclap :( (We have 4 tanks, available, but usually only have 2)

If your raid-boss threat is fine, I wouldn't worry about dropping expertise.

AoE threat - I'm not a DK tank (warrior tank) so take it with a grain of salt, that all I know is I'm sort of in the reverse of your position, I can keep boss aggro over our DK tank, but he ends up with all the adds in ICC. DKs have 3 AoE threat generators, right? DnD, blood boil, and passing out the STDs like frost fever?

Selene
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
If your raid-boss threat is fine, I wouldn't worry about dropping expertise.

AoE threat - I'm not a DK tank (warrior tank) so take it with a grain of salt, that all I know is I'm sort of in the reverse of your position, I can keep boss aggro over our DK tank, but he ends up with all the adds in ICC. DKs have 3 AoE threat generators, right? DnD, blood boil, and passing out the STDs like frost fever?

I don't bother trying to hold AoE threat as a Blood Tank in a Raid. If it is too much of a concern for me (depends on what the other tank(s) is), I just go Frost.

Metrobull
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
We have AoE threat generator for the most part - Death And Decay. It does a great deal of threat, but it's gradual, not instant, and by the time it generates enough threat... the other tanks have it.

Blood Boil can generate threat but its damage is based upon diseases which is even slower (Icy Touch + Plague Strike + Pestilence) leaves only one blood rune for Blood Boil.

Gutfang, I understand I get an extra 6 expertise from VotTW however that 26 I have includes it, so I'm really at 20. I guess I'm over analyzing everything, I'm doing well, I get many compliments on my abilities so I'm happy :)

Thanks for the replies everyone ^_^