PDA

View Full Version : DPS So my hunter friend

iliveonarainbowcloud
06-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I recently switched servers with my fiance and a friend of mine, and hosted an ICC 10 PuG the day i switched and got 9/12 bosses down. Immediately when i logged on the next day i had mail from the GMs of the top 2 guilds on the server and another from a little known ICC 10 HM guild. (I promise i'm not tooting my own horn here, and there is a point.) But i moved over with people, so i feel inclined to make sure wherever i go, they should be able to go too.

So heres the question. My fiance will get in (she's a Holy/S. Priest and will function as the DPS/healer in ICC's). My hunter friend i am not so sure of.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dawnbringer&cn=Kazooie

He ranges from 6-7k, sometimes 8k in 25 mans. He's only been playing since Jan, so IMO he's doing pretty good. Now, i know nothing of hunters really, but does anyone have a general idea of how much DPS he should be pulling if he's playing his toon correctly? Also, what are some tips i could possibly give him? He's up to try anything, so yeah =D

Ignore the fact that he's in a guild XD. I think it's a friend of his'.

Volador
06-08-2010, 08:29 AM
The problem with DPS markers is they will change based on group composition, other DPS in the raid, and which fight you're talking about.

Just looking at his gear (and for some reason, everything on Armory isn't pulling up properly), I've noticed a couple things:

1. His off-hand has expertise on it. This is not a show stopper, but it's wasted itemization.
2. His two trinkets have +hit on them. He's over hit cap by enough that he could probably drop BOTH of them.
3. He has gemmed ArPen in almost every socket. His base ArPen rating is 2-300 points lower than where it needed to be to make the switch from Agi to ArPen.
4. His helm and shoulder enchants are not as powerful as they need to be. He should run heroics for the rep (equip an Ebon Blade tabard, and buy Sons of Hodir rep items with emblems OR buy the items from the AH with gold).
5. His glyph choices are off. I used Aimed, Serpent Sting, and Chimera.

All in all, he can clean up his character by running it through http://www.femaledwarf.com/ (don't let the website's name fool you, it's the hunter calculator)

Theotherone
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
He should drop some of the hit 483 plus a point in Focused Aim is too much. Also, why one Crit gem? He's Ar Pen all over but one Crit; it can't be for the Meta since he has a Nightmare tear.

His dps is quite good for his gear; plus ICC is not great for hunter dps on most fights, lots of movement, and lots of other things to do. However, check out his damage done next time in there with him, he'll be fine.

Harmacy
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Your friend is way over the hit cap - the hit cap for a hunter is the same as for a melee class, 8%. He even has a point in the +hit talent, which would bring the hit cap down to *does napkin math* I think 230 hit rating. He has twice that.

Tell him to lose the hit enchant on his axe, and seek out new trinkets. There is a very nice trinket in H FoS, if he wants to be a serious raider he should be running that whenever he gets the chance. I'm not much of a math guy but I'm absolutely 100% sure that the crit and ArP will do much more for him than either of the trinket's he's currently using.

Also, get some proper helm and shoulder enchants. He has the rep for the Hodir enchant, and all he needs to do is wear the Ebon Blade tabard while he does his randoms and H FoS trinket runs to get enough rep for the helm enchant.

I have a hunch that he doesn't have enough base ArP on his gear to be gemming for it, but I am not much of a theorycrafter nor do I play a hunter specifically. Also, that might change once he gets a hold of the H FoS trinket (have I mentioned that there's a nice trinket in H FoS?).

One more nitpick: boot enchant should probably be runspeed for serious raiding.

I'll leave the talent spec critique to the actual hunters.

Tinytankz
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Right off that bat i can tell you he is so over hit it hurts (this is a reoccuring theme with alot of DPS in need of help right now) He gemmed ArP but isnt at the point where it is his best choice. HOWEVER. you will see his mubers go through the roof with one change.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50198
I hope he knows how to play ArP MM (he is looking at using readyness and spamming steady anytime that trinket proc's) Tell him to do a few things
1 get NES and swp it for the 128 Hit trinket
2 read up on what you do for ArP marksmen hunters
3. Gemm so he is at or only a little above 1400 when that trinket proc's
4. Lower his hit (replacing the second trinket with something like http://www.wowhead.com/item=47214 wuold workexcellent here and the BoV is repeat farmable)

If he only replaces both trinkets he will be barely under 8% hit and can roll with his current spec with no problems. With his current gear no re,gems he sits at to much ArP for when NES proc's he can ungem 3 ArP to Agility if he gets it and ungem 4 more gems if he gets BoV. Those alone will push your friend to huge hieghts and hopefully keep him right where you want him by your side.

This is my Officer i reffered to for some info on this bad boy
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Deathwing&cn=Warcrimez

He is running almost exactly what your friend should be doing.

Harmacy
06-08-2010, 08:39 AM
So I see a recurring theme in this thread.

- Lose hit rating.

- Get ArP trinkets.

Tinytankz
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
True story in all reality it is more your friend has bad trinket choices and coupled with good gear trinkets are a LARGE chunk of DPS nowadays.