PDA

View Full Version : How can I play DVD videos on my computer?

Valandris
06-05-2010, 05:40 PM
What do I need to dl? I want to watch Stargate SG-1 so much, but my dad typically controls the tv with westerns, news, or the TCM channel. I have to sneak in an episode when he passes out in the recliner:eek:

Brevity
06-07-2010, 12:48 AM
VLC media player. Plays everything, sucks, but it's free.

Helgi
06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
VLC media player. Plays everything, sucks, but it's free.

Agree. Well... the Mac version is pretty amazing, but yeah the PC version is somewhat fail.
Just google video lan, its the first result.

Destruyen
06-08-2010, 01:44 AM
http://www.hulu.com/stargate-sg-1

hulu has all the stargate sg-1 episodes...i've been watching it over the past few weeks...didn't know it was that good. the best thing is everything on hulu is free.

unless you live in canada and then you're screwed...

KuroiMitsukai
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hulu is great and the good new is their trying to work out the internatiol viewing which sucked (American on Overseas Military Base). Other then that you can try torrents and use Vuze to search for things.

Fledern
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd like to suggest two alternatives:

Miro, the free player does an amazing job and it's open source too.

and i've been greatly impressed with the KMPlayer. In fact, it turned out to be the perfect player i was looking for.
Here's the link: http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4094
It's got its own codecs too so you dont need to download a codec pack or anything (though some of them suck)

BlazeDale
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
My first question is: Do you have a DVD player on your computer?

Provided that the answer is yes then you just download a DVD codec. I think K-lite is pretty good but there are better to be sure. Once you have the proper codec installed you can just watch DVDs on Windows Media Player.

The quality of the video is often dependent on the codec you install so if you try one and it sucks just try another. I would do some research on the codec you are thinking about installing first because you can get viruses if you aren't careful. Try and stick with reputable sites. CNET comes to mind.