PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Unholy DK Well Geared Poor DPS. WHY???

LostProphet
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Hello all at Tankspot Forum

Unfortunately I have had to bring my self to post this thread because I am struggling with Death Knight Unholy DPS. I cannot seem to put my finger on why this is. I use the appropriate recommended rotations. apparently I Glyph and spend my talent points correctly. So why is this ?
I have read so many talent builds and DPS improvement Guides that show so many different builds and glyphs and different rotations that I think I have become blind to what really is the best one.

What is the best Unholy DK Talent Build for MAX Raid and Dungeon/Instance DPS inc Glyphs and rotations ?

I am relatively well geared. I know I should be doing way more DPS than I am. In VoA25 I am putting out 4.6K DPS with full Raid Buffs. This is unacceptable. I have respeced my character so many times by following numerous web site recomendations inc Tankspot. Elitistjerks Even Ensidia's DK Guide found on their Forum.
But nothing seems to improve my DPS above around the 5K mark.

Can some Experienced Death Knights try to help me out with this ?

Here is my single boss rotations: IT=PS=SS=BS=BS=DC=SS=DC=SS=SS=DC
I keep HoW up at all times and use Gargoyle when AoE is acceptable

As you can see I am Dual Spec, and the two spec's I have are supposed to be the best DPS Talent Builds for Unholy DK at the moment (Patch 3.3.3 June 2010)
If I use the Unholy/Frost Talent Build should I be using dual wield weapons or stick with 2Hand Wep?

Can anyone suggest any improvements to my builds. Or any other way I can maximize my overall DPS

Toushiro
06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I found myself being really crap DPS as Unholy, gave up and went blood, and my DPS skyrocketed up. Not sure if its what you wanna here but I recommend blood DPS or frost DW.

Selene
06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Your 0/17/54 spec is supposed to have Glyph of Icy Touch not Glyph of Disease.

Also your rotation is incorrect depending on which spec you use.

Here is a good place to look for information: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-unholy_dps_wish_right_now/

Something else is maybe go back to the 245 relic, the 264 relics from Frost are fairly MEH to me, at least the DK ones are.
Biggest thing is you need to find out if you are geared for a Reaping or Non-Reaping spec.

LostProphet
06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Thank's for your reply.
I have been toying with that idea for some time now (Changing spec back to Blood) But I really want to know where i'm going wrong with Unholy.
I have seen Unhly DK's doing 42K dps in ICC25 not much better geared than myself. I have even asked them what and how they are hitting so high DPS. I get reply's to try rotations etc etc that I have actually already tried myself.
Either there is some massive Unholy DK DPS secret.
I like playing DK and I like unholy spec. I also want to master my class.

By the way what is the best Blood DPS Spec to use with glyphs and rotations ?

Selene
06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
By the way what is the best Blood DPS Spec to use with glyphs and rotations ?

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t61176-blood_simple_day_music_died/

Jojomofo
06-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Try my spec, I push around 7.5k in VoA25 and 8.2k to 8.9k.
My rotation usually is: DS-HS-HS-DS--Wait about 2 seonds till rune recharge-- pop HYST+DRW-HSx8-Empower rune weapon-rinse and repeat except without the cd's.
I push massive dps my gear and spec is at http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&cn=Kroe
My dps spec is my secondary the first is my pvp spec it seems to work fairly well if at all you are interested. Peace

Jojomofo
06-08-2010, 02:14 PM
8.2k to 8.9k in ICC25* sorry

Jojomofo
06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
and obviously RP dump when ur waiting for runes

LostProphet
06-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have managed to up my dps significantly. But the issue I am now having is that it drops quite a lot when I change to different boss or Mobb's
An example of this is in Trial of the Grand Crusader. The Lord Jarraxus fight. When I quickly switch from Jaraxxus to the Fel Volcanoes or the portals that appear. My DPS drops a lot. why do you think this is. I'm pretty sure its to do with my rotation.

What is the Best rotation to use with this Talent Build ?
And. when I swith targets in an encounter such as ToGC25. Do I need to begin my rotation from the beggining. ie IT=PS etc etc.

Can anyone clarify this for me please ?
Any help and advice on my Talent Build and how I can up my Unholy DPS. Is much appreciated

LostProphet
06-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Also. What are god mudt have death Knight addons.
I have searched and looked for myself. But I would like any suggestions from people who have had first hand experience with them.

LostProphet
06-28-2010, 05:51 AM
What rotation should I use on a melee advantanged fight such as Rotface etc. Using my talent spec which I posted above?
And what is A good AoE rotation to use on multiple Mobb fights.?

Is it possible to make a macro to so that I can fire off Icey Touch and Plague Strike using one button. Is this possible ?
This would free up valuable time and also free up keyboard space.
If this is possible. what would the macro be?

Selene
06-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have managed to up my dps significantly. But the issue I am now having is that it drops quite a lot when I change to different boss or Mobb's
An example of this is in Trial of the Grand Crusader. The Lord Jarraxus fight. When I quickly switch from Jaraxxus to the Fel Volcanoes or the portals that appear. My DPS drops a lot. why do you think this is. I'm pretty sure its to do with my rotation.

Unholy DPS is an overtime dps spec.
You stack diseases to do your dps, so anytime you are switching targets, so if your diseases wear off, you are going to lose dps.
Something to do for Lord Jarraxus is ask the Raid Leader if you can be an interrupter, then you can stand there and just smack the boss around as long as you interrupt his fireballs.
In ToC25s that I run, depending on group makeup, Rogues, DKs, Mages, Enhancement Shammies, are permanently assigned to him. They are solely responsible for Interrupting and Spellstealing him.

turoktwo
06-28-2010, 06:07 AM
selene, your right about the unholy dps being over time, but if you spred out the diseases, then unholy not a prolbem, so long as you have a rotation going.

Selene
06-28-2010, 06:10 AM
selene, your right about the unholy dps being over time, but if you spred out the diseases, then unholy not a prolbem, so long as you have a rotation going.

He is saying he is switching targets, and in a number of the fights where you switch, the mobs are out of range of Pestilience even glyphed.

turoktwo
06-28-2010, 06:21 AM
true, but you can get tanks to pull mobs closer if there pulling that way, but my frost dps spec would be the way to go for single target dps by far.

uglybbtoo
06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
And the magic DK simmulator says

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jfVMVZZfMbI0cdg0ux0uIqo:sLbM0V

Is the winner for your current gear .. Its usually pretty accurate

Newra
06-29-2010, 05:14 AM
My suggestion would be the following.

I believe in the gemming yellow sockets with +4 str and more bonus with 10str 10crit gems. It might only be a small gain but your crit does seem rather low. Also the arp trinket from FoS is not entirely that great for UH. You would be better off with Greatness Trinket and getting yourself the Haste Trinket from Frost Emblems. Also if you don't like gemming for crit Unholy does benefit a lot from haste* to gemming 10str 10haste in yellow sockets with +4 str and up sockets would also be a good idea.

Also Sub Frost UH spec is more suited if you have a Proc weapon (Brytoll/Shadowmourne). So I would rather go Sub Blood with your weapon.

Hope that helps :)

LostProphet
07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Hello guys thank-you for your replies.

I have changed my spec to unholy sub blood spec. because I do agrre with what Newra said about not using usb Frost spec until I have a proc wep.
My DPS Increased substantialy in Daily Dungeond/Instances to around 6K spmetimes. and I can do around 8.5K in VoA25.

But my fail is ICC10/25. for some reason I can only do around 7.5-8K DPS. Even on Saurfang.
I really could use some help and advice on how I can up my DPS on fights such as Saurfang. can anybody help me do with with any good ICC10/25 Multiple and single mobb encounters.
Now im using the unholy sub Blood spec with Reaping my rotation is:
PS=IT=BS=BS=SS=DC=HoW=SSDC=SS=SS=DC=(DC)
Also with this rotation on training dummy I can do around 5.1K DPS.
Im just struggling to boost DPS in ICC10/25.

Any help and advice here would be massively appreciated.

I have also gemmed 10str + 10haste on any worthwile yellow gem sockets I have all correct enchants. I am only just over the hit cap.

Do I need to learn how to use my runes correctly would this help. so what abilities should I be using when certain runes are available

danilche
07-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Unholy DPS is an overtime dps spec.
You stack diseases to do your dps, so anytime you are switching targets, so if your diseases wear off, you are going to lose dps.This sort of thing is why I use Disease glyph for single-target. the DPS loss in pure single-target is not drastic (I replace the Dark Death glyph, you lose the DC bonus, but you get to replace IT/PS/BS combo with Pestilence/SS, which does quite a good deal more damage), but the convenience afforded by that glyph is immense; and the target-switching is now a breeze -- just Pestilence, and voila! diseases refreshed, and everyone is infected. On fights like Saurfang, it's amazing. Not only does your DPS jump up if you Pestilence once the beasts spawn, but you also give your raid instant +13% magical damage on them.

Golmmaster
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
In your rotation try to use PS first then IT and try to hit BS first then SS the reason behind that is that PS will give all of your other abilities a 10% damage increase due to the talent rage of rivendare. BS should be the next one after IT so you can get your desecration buff 5% increased damage so your SS can hit harder.

by the way since you are a draenei I would recomend changing your gloves enchant and your +hit gem to something that will boost your damage (str) since Draeneis have a 1% free hit so instead of 8% hit you need 7%.

for your gargoyle when you summon it wait until you have all your buffs and Blood lust(if you have a shammy) It will benefit from all the buff you have when you summon it. But not after.

your gear is pretty fine and I didn't find some odd geming or enchanting on your part. So it must be a question of rotation. As someone told me the key to DK DPS is to know where your bulk of your damage is coming from.