PDA

View Full Version : Healing Mana Issues as a Disc/Holy priest

Epira
05-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Hello theree.
My character is an 80 NE Priest - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&cn=Xiantra
Recently I've been going oom as holy AND disc faster than usual. I go oom as disc when Lady Deathwhisperer goes into phase 2. Of course I still have hymn of hope + shadowfiend, but I used to be able to go the whole fight without using anything.
Is it just because fights are more demanding of healing therefore more mana usage? Or is my mana regen just bad / Do I need to regem?

Metasynaptic
05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I have an ICC raiding disc priest and I can't say I have mana issues, and I think I know why you are.

As a disc priest, you love int. More int = bigger mana pool, and bigger returns from kings. Also, when you drop a fiend, every 5% hit they make is giving you more mana per hit than if you had less int.

Of course, deathwhisper relies on good dps getting the job done, and if they are taking too long dropping adds and the shields then yeah, it will draw out and tax your healing. Also, might be worth making sure all the frost and shadow resist buffs are up.

Nicki
05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Most likely you aren't with either a resto shaman dropping mana tide in your group or lack 1 or 2 replenishment buffs.

Most likely no shaman and the raid only has 1 replenishment resulting in some rather unpredictable benefits...

ICC25heroic(excluding lich king) is perfectly healable in 245(most)/258(2-3 pieces) as a priest...Just learn to pay attention to mana.

On a side note your holy spec breaks my eyes...

Mačl
05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Yes, the spec is somewhat interesting. You either go all out Renew(which is viable IMHO) or you don't. Healing Focus isn't that useful. You can debate the usefulness of Test of Faith and I wouldn't neglect Divine Fury.

But none of your spec choices should cause your mana problems.
I'm assuming you are mainly Holy since you have gemmed haste.

At 25% haste you are going thru your mana like no tomorrow. No amount of gemming/enchanting will get you out of this.
You will need to rethink your healing. While it IS worth to send a ProM on CD on any fight(while in doubt, choose a tank) you
shouldn't use CoH when it isn't needed. SoL procs are free, so use them when you have use for it. You'll have to work on your
mana usage.

On the other side of the scale you need to work on your mana intake. Use your shadowfiend when you first hit 50% mana(or
even sooner so you can get two of them), sneak in a Hymn of Hope. Use mana pots, use MP5 flasks(or equivalent elixirs).

If you already do that then your raid either:
-takes too long to kill stuff
-takes too much damage
-has not enough replenishment

Looking at your spec and your gear you shouldn't have severe mana problems. You might want to pick up Inner Focus and tie this to Divine Hymn. But that too isn't a biggie.

Epira
05-28-2010, 05:11 AM
I have an ICC raiding disc priest and I can't say I have mana issues, and I think I know why you are.

As a disc priest, you love int. More int = bigger mana pool, and bigger returns from kings. Also, when you drop a fiend, every 5% hit they make is giving you more mana per hit than if you had less int.

Of course, deathwhisper relies on good dps getting the job done, and if they are taking too long dropping adds and the shields then yeah, it will draw out and tax your healing. Also, might be worth making sure all the frost and shadow resist buffs are up.
Thank you

Most likely you aren't with either a resto shaman dropping mana tide in your group or lack 1 or 2 replenishment buffs.

Most likely no shaman and the raid only has 1 replenishment resulting in some rather unpredictable benefits...

ICC25heroic(excluding lich king) is perfectly healable in 245(most)/258(2-3 pieces) as a priest...Just learn to pay attention to mana.

On a side note your holy spec breaks my eyes...

My holy spec I was just testing stuff out. xD It's not my actual preferred spec, another holy priest told me to try the spec out.

Yes, the spec is somewhat interesting. You either go all out Renew(which is viable IMHO) or you don't. Healing Focus isn't that useful. You can debate the usefulness of Test of Faith and I wouldn't neglect Divine Fury.

At 25% haste you are going thru your mana like no tomorrow. No amount of gemming/enchanting will get you out of this.
You will need to rethink your healing. While it IS worth to send a ProM on CD on any fight(while in doubt, choose a tank) you
shouldn't use CoH when it isn't needed. SoL procs are free, so use them when you have use for it. You'll have to work on your
mana usage.

On the other side of the scale you need to work on your mana intake. Use your shadowfiend when you first hit 50% mana(or
even sooner so you can get two of them), sneak in a Hymn of Hope. Use mana pots, use MP5 flasks(or equivalent elixirs).

-takes too much damage

Looking at your spec and your gear you shouldn't have severe mana problems. You might want to pick up Inner Focus and tie this to Divine Hymn. But that too isn't a biggie.

Thanks so much.
Do you think I should resocket to decrease the amount of haste I have and increase the amount of crit?

Fetzie
05-28-2010, 06:54 AM
I find that 30% crit (raid buffed) is a good value to aim for to get holy concentration pretty much always up. This will at least stave off OOM time for a bit longer.

Mačl
05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks so much.
Do you think I should resocket to decrease the amount of haste I have and increase the amount of crit?
Nope.
Your heals come faster. That's a good thing. But nobody say you have to heal on every GC when it isn't necessary. Your figures look fine to me. You could optimize a little bit(I would never gem for haste, but then again, I don't play Holy), but it shouldn't be such a huge difference.

This is not a gear issue. It's more about what you DO. What your raid DOES. Gear is important, but not that important.

Hedda
05-28-2010, 07:24 AM

mana usage.

-takes too much damage

Why?
1 point in Empowered Renew is acceptable to proc Holy Concentration.

-Xh

Mačl
05-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah, but when you pick up the Improved Renew for 3 points then you are implying that you plan to use it a lot. Then you should also go for the rest of empowered renew.

Just my opinion.

As I said. The spec is interesting and I can see the reasoning behind it. It's not at the core of the mana problems.

Satorri
05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Have you been spamming Prayer of Healing at all?

I've seen this happen in disconcerting amounts from random priest healers, and it has been irking me. Prayer of Healing is a strong group healing spell, but it is *very* expensive, relatively speaking. If you are not getting a high effective value out of it (read: 5 people receiving most of the healing), it is substantially less efficient than all your other heals. If you are using to heal 2-3 people, you can almost certainly get better efficiency with a couple spot heals, hots, or a good Binding Heal if you are one of the people in need of healing.

Mačl
05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Nah, IIRC the magic number of healing hitting for PoH(vs. individual FHs) was 3. You rarely hit 5 players with it. Well, ok, if they are melee locked in a deadly group hug.

Fetzie
05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
isn't PoH the big cast time heal that hits party members? CoH is the one you can count yourself lucky to hit 5 players with.

NewfieDave
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
isn't PoH the big cast time heal that hits party members? CoH is the one you can count yourself lucky to hit 5 players with.
PoH heals only people in the same group as your target, as long as they are within 30 yards of the target. CoH isn't limited by group, and will hit 6 targets with the glyph. In 25mans, CoH on melee is pretty much guaranteed to hit the full 6 targets.

Of course I still have hymn of hope + shadowfiend, but I used to be able to go the whole fight without using anything.
Hymn of Hope and Shadowfiend are there for a reason. If your strategy is to gear for so much regen that you don't need to use your regen abilities, you will be giving up throughput.

Harmacy
05-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Hymn of Hope and Shadowfiend are there for a reason. If your strategy is to gear for so much regen that you don't need to use your regen abilities, you will be giving up throughput.

This. I find that a good balance is to gear so that, for long healing-intense fights, you go through fiend and HoH but not your mana pot. This gives you some room for error without sacrificing a lot of throughput.

Nitpicking time! YAY

- Tuskarr's Vitality goes on the boots, the move speed is fantastic for any raider (even if you have several instant casts, it will help you get out of the fire or what have you). 18 spirit is a negligible amount.

- If you're having issues, use Darkglow not Lightweave. Darkglow is worth something like 30-35 MP5 (I forget the exact number).

- I see you changed your gems a bit. If you're still having mana issues with Darkglow and with changing up your healing style a bit (some good advice in this thread so far), then replace those handful of sp/haste gems to sp/int or even pure int.

Yes, the spec is somewhat interesting. You either go all out Renew(which is viable IMHO) or you don't. Healing Focus isn't that useful. You can debate the usefulness of Test of Faith and I wouldn't neglect Divine Fury.Agreed on all the rest (Renew spec is very good for aura fights, which there are plenty of in ICC - Healing Focus is filler - Divine Fury is very nice, especially if you're a portal healing on Dreamwalker), but I'm curious to hear the argument against Test of Faith. The fact that it's a throughput boost when it's absolutely needed and that it contributes entirely to effective healing makes it required.

Maybe it's not so stellar on aura fights, if you have several Rejuv/WG-blanketing Resto Druids to keep everyone topped off at all times, but I would still take it just for general raid utility (just in case someone dips low).

Disc spec: You hit the required talents, but if you're using this spec for tank healing and not bubble-botting, I would pick up Divine Fury at the expense of Healing Focus and Improved Renew. GHeal is expensive, but higher HPS than Flash Heal making it better for extremely heavy tank damage, or just combine it with a BT proc to get the tank back up quickly.

A nice tip that you may already know: Penance is affected by BT's 25% haste but does not consume the proc, so PW:S + Penance + FH or GH is a great combination to get someone's health up quickly.

Also, Pain Suppression is a PvP glyph. There are several options for that slot - the obvious is Flash Heal, which is a nice amount of mana conservation, but there are others like Prayer of Healing.