PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Starting to Look Towards ICC...

Viper114
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Greetings. First time poster here looking for some more advice for my Blood Death Knight Tank.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area%2052&n=Saerna

This is my current setup after a month-and-a-half of playing WoW after getting back in from a 13-month break. Back when I resubbed, I has nothing but Blues on my character that I got from quests and normal dungeons. Thanks in part to the new Frozen Halls dungeons, I've been able to start climbing up the gear ladder to finally do Heroics and some Raids.

According to WTF Is My Gear Score, I currently sit at 4901 GS. According to WoW Heroes, right now it's considers ICC10, Onyxia 25 and TotCr 25 to be Optimal bordering Trivial, and JUST considered optimal for ICC 25. According to Be Imba!, it's pretty much the same except it still considers ICC 25 to be Challenging.

Right now, I'm starting to consider trying to join in some ICC 10 groups in order to keep climbing the gear ladder, because I've pretty much plateaued. No dungeons or heroics give anything I want anymore. And from what I've determined, the only Raids that can give me better equipment is Onyxia, TotCr, VoA and ICC. Onyxia and TotCr, however, are almost never done anymore, and VoA is almost never an option as the Horde on my realm can't seem to wrest control of WG from the Alliance (which is making me think of a server change...). The only thing I do plan to change is getting the Tank Cloak for 50 Frost Emblems when I get enough (I have about 39 right now) which should hopefully then put my GS up to 5K. Except for that, it seems that since everyone's really only interested in ICC, that I should start there and hope to get the equipment there.

What do you guys think? Am I ready to start jumping into ICC 10 groups and start tanking? I'm really only interested in doing the first four to start and try to get what I need there.

Viper114
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh, and I also know about the extra sockets for the Bracers and Gloves that I can put in whenever I get the points needed in Blacksmithing. Those are a work in progress as I level up Mining and Blacksmithing. But man, does that get boring when I'm Lvl 80...

Selene
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
its a trivial issue but for the "cost" of 3 Stamina you could get 10 Hit or Def, but replacing the stam gem in your helm with Hit/Stam or Def/Stam.

just get that BS and Mining up to get the extra 120 stamina.

Should be able to do the 1st wing in ICC10 without any issues.

Davih
05-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Couple of minor changes i recommend. You only need one red (or purple or orange as they count) gem to activate the meta. your using 4 10 dodge 15 stamina gems, 2 of which are only giving you a 6 Stamina socket bonus which isn't really wroth it. i would change the gem in your shoulders and gloves to 30 stamina.
Also you could have 18 Stamina (Heavy Borean Armor Kit) on your gloves instead of armsman. Other than these minor changed the wont make much of a difference you definitely ready for icc.

Viper114
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally I had the Enduring Eye of Zul (http://www.wowhead.com/item=40167) in there, but it had to be removed as I already have the Def Rating met for Heroics and Raids, and having extra isn't worth it. And I don't know if I really need the Vivid Eye of Zul (http://www.wowhead.com/item=40166) as I don't think I need the Hit Rating.

On the side I'm working on the professions. I've been following the lists given on wowprofessions.com on how to get the levels up quickly, and getting to where I am now only took a day or two. A bit more effort and I should be able to max them out. And just think, I'll actually have to go back to OUTLAND to level them up. Yeesh, never thought I would ever go back once I hit 68...

And is my meta gem off? It doesn't say if it's on or not in-game, I've assumed that it's been on this whole time! If not, I'll need to get that fixed. As for the Gloves, some people have said to get the Stamina, but I figured the extra threat from Armsman would help with my keeping enemy aggro and tanking. Is it really not worth using?

Davih
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Your meta's fine, sorry if i mislead you but you have 4 "red" gems, when you only need 1.
2% threat aint that much. and if people are watching there threat, souldhattering/fading/totting when theyre meant to threat wont be an issue so 18 stamina will be better in the long run.

Viper114
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM
OK, I'll look into changing the glove enchantment. I hope the threat lost doesn't affect me too much. I'll also look into the gem changing.

Viper114
05-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Did the changes as recommended. Also recently did a server change, so I had to update the link. It will take a bit to update, but it should be able to view soon.

And because of my server change, I had to change my character's name from Faendra to Saerna. Not a big deal.

Viper114
05-27-2010, 10:01 AM
OK, the link is working again, so if anyone else wants to throw their two cents in, go ahead.

Before I did the server move, the AH didn't seem to have the upgrade for the Gloves to add Stamina. I'm hoping Area 52's has a better selection to pick from. And now that I'm in a server that holds WG a lot, I can start looking at going through VoA a few times and try to get the Frost Emblems from Toravon and hopefully the Scourgelord Plate pieces he can drop. That way I can get my GS up even more.

Selene
05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
OK, the link is working again, so if anyone else wants to throw their two cents in, go ahead.

Before I did the server move, the AH didn't seem to have the upgrade for the Gloves to add Stamina. I'm hoping Area 52's has a better selection to pick from. And now that I'm in a server that holds WG a lot, I can start looking at going through VoA a few times and try to get the Frost Emblems from Toravon and hopefully the Scourgelord Plate pieces he can drop. That way I can get my GS up even more.

AH isn't the only source to get "enchants" make friends with people, or ask your guild if you are in one.

Viper114
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Sadly, I'm not in a guild. I'm a free agent right now (I had to be in order to move servers). I would like to join one, preferably a more laid back casual raiding guild wanting to do things like ICC/VoA/TotCr/Onyxia, but don't know if any will take me as I am right now...

Selene
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Check the WOWForums for your server, often guilds will have a recruiting thread.
Otherwise pug raids, and try to make friends, beyond that no clue :(