PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Paladin

ygar
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anub%27arak&cn=Darthygar

Hey all,

I know this has been done a thousand times but I was wondering if someone could take a quick glance at my gear and talents. And if you can let me know if there are any tweeks I need too do. I know the 2 blues need changing and I am working on that I just don't want to go down the wrong road lol.

I appreciate any help.

aresius
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Spec looks ok to me, though i just speced so far down the ret tree when i started tanking icc.
-never did like dropping one of the spiritual atunements. Its not missed in icc, but i alweys run out of mana even with both in heroics or easier raids. But thats just a personal quirk of mine, its common to just spend on talent on that.
And as you mentioned your needing to replace some items. in particular that cannoneers fuselighter - crit and spellpower. Its not jsut low level, its not for prot at all. Icc heroics/regs can get nice replacements for weapons/shield/cape.

Mert
05-25-2010, 09:47 AM
No doubt you hear this all the time and are already working on it but get JC levelled to 400 for the gems - it'll also allow you to craft a nice trinket that'll serve you well until you get a raid drop.

I assume you're saving your Frost Emblems for the cloak? If not, the Platinum Mesh Cloak for Valor is really nice still.

All generally seems to be fine though - you might want to move that point from Conviction to Seal of Command while you're doing Heroics still just because it's nice for trash but it's really splitting hairs by that point. Good job so far and welcome to the wonderful world of Paladin tanking :)

ygar
05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys. It is appreciated. And nice to know that I am not screwing it up other than the obvious lol.

On the trinket. It was a left over from my lvling stuff lol. As soon as I get a drop it is going to be out of there lol.

And you are the first to mention the JC thang cos I only picked it up last night about an hour before I logged off lol. But you are right. It should be way up there tonight.

Mend
05-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Your gear is perfect as a starter raiding and heroic gear.

Now you'll just need to grind heroics every day to get as much triumph emblems as you can for gear and gems.

Good luck!

ygar
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks all for the help. Since I posted I got my JC to 450 so I have the gems now. Also using the trinket which is nice and good enough to get me through for now. Also managaed to get pillars of might real cheap which was cool.

But with all this I am still having a few issues. Not sure if this is down to me being so used to ranged dps and healing but I am really having mana and threat issues. I go ooom alot untill I get to a boss and them there is no issue. Also I am struggling with keeping large groups of trash with me. My TPS on the charts is ok and not seeing them pull that way but always loose one or two mobs. They go after dps normaly or the heals sometimes. I am not sure what I am doing wrong which gives me the issue of not knowing how to fix it :-(

Again any help would be great. And thanks again for the earlir comments

sifuedition
05-28-2010, 02:09 PM
To help with threat issues, we would need to know your rotation. I am assuming you are familiar with, and use, the 969. If not, google it and read the article from maintankadin.com.

969 is flexible, however. You can start with any 9 second cd ability, followed by any of your 6 second cd abilies, etc. The question then becomes, "when do you lose threat?"

If you lose threat in the first seconds of a pull, front-load the highest threat abilities. So you can have something like Judgement->Hammer of the Righteous as the lead off. If you have Seal of Command, your judgement will likely hit multiple targets as will your HotR which is your highest burst threat ability. Another way to front-load threat is modify by rotating 696. The overall rotation is the same but you are starting with a 6 (HotR) and therefore more threat in the very first seconds.

Holy Shield requires the mobs to hit you and is sustained threat rather than burst. Consecration is also sustained rather than burst, and has the added caveat that it takes three seconds for the first ticks to hit the targets.

If you are losing mobs after they are half dead, there are two possible fixes. One, use Seal of Command to hit them with more than Holy Shield reflective damage and Consecrate. Also, Pallys can tab target too in order to increase their AoE threat.

As for mana issues, if you are in heroics, judge wisdom. Light should not be necessary. Make sure that Divine Plea is up at the start of every pull. You really need to have 100% uptime on DP whenever it is possible, even if it means waiting for the cd (at least until you get more experience managing your mana as prot). The exceptions are VH and maybe CoS. For VH, memorize which portals are 4 mobs and which are one mob followed by a weak late spawner. On the single mob pulls, do not use DP so you can save it for the four mob portals. Use Judgement of Wisdom on the single mob portals and drop consecration from your rotation. Then, on the four mob portals, you can pop DP and go all out with your normal rotation. If the healer can handle it, don't use Sacred Shield. Taking slightly more damage = more heals = more Spiritual Attunement mana return. For CoS, all those wussy skeletons everyone runs past....just hit them with a regular melee (not even a spell, just right click them as you are running by). The melee strike(s) will keep DP up between pulls.

EDIT:
I want to point out that Seal of Command is NOT necessary. It does, however, make AoE theat laughably easy.

Added tip: If you aren't already, then use Tidy Plates and Tidy Plates: Threat Plates. Threat Plates requires the base Tidy Plates. This will give you an easy visual way to watch which mobs are dying fastest and should get the most of your "love". It also changes the name plate colors based on your threat on each mob. It also doesn't hurt to have a way to see everyone's target. I use VuhDo to heal and have found that it works great for tanking as well. I can set up Righteous Defense as a cast macro (instead of a heal) to make taunting SOOO much easier. I also turn on Target of Target and can tell if anyone is not on my target based on remaining health or even raid marks which show up right on the target frame for any mobs with a mark.

massacrejons
05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
my suggestion is when pulling more then 3 mobs at a time to pull with avengers shield and target one that was not affected and use hor to the remaing guys throw a holy wrath just to be safe and u should have instant aggro on everyone. if dps attacks before u even pull say something. if it persists vote to kick. if that fails DI the healer wipe the group and when u turn into a ghost leave the group and you dont get the debuff.

ygar
05-28-2010, 07:21 PM
First off thank you very much for the help... I appreciate it.

I currently use the 696 rotation... I need a little more practice with it as I still seem to watch my bars like a hawk and sometimes click instead of tapping the buttons.. I will try the points made tonight and see how I get on... there are a few things that you have mentioned that are different from what I am currently doing so that should help I hope :-)

Mert
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Hehe don't worry, 969 will become second nature soon enough. Try to think about how you lay the spells out on your keys as you'll be hitting those buttons a lot in your tanking career. So for example you could have:

1. Holy Shield
2. Shield of Rightesousness
3. Judgement of Wisdom
4. Hammer of the Righteous
5. Consecration

And then you do a nice little finger dance, going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3, 2, 5 etc. Don't worry, it sounds complicated but my main recommendation would be lay them out now in a logical order and stick with it - pretty soon it'll be commited to muscle memory so you'll want it to be perfect now so you don't have to relearn it.

In the meantime, while you're still waiting on that epiphony moment where you suddenly just pull off flawless 969s without thinking, consider using an addon called clcret. It's mainly for monitoring cooldowns in the Retribution "First Come First Served" rotation but more recent versions have added support for Protection as well - it'll give you a big icon of what your next spell will be and how long is on the cooldown, as well as allowing you to track cooldowns on Wings, Bubble Wall etc. The icon for "next spell in your rotation" is large but the addon itself is relatively unobtrusive so you can place it somewhere central and not have to take your eyes off your character to watch cooldowns etc :)

ygar
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks that sounds like what I need. Awesome input will have a look at that.

I guess it is like my shot rotation on my hunter. Odd at first but now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Thanks again to all that helped. It is greatly appreciated

ygar
05-30-2010, 09:23 AM
You guys rock.. the add ons have helped me out in a big way... all the advice has helped so much... Want to say thank you to you all as you have stopped me from shelving my Paladin.