PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK AoE aggro/threat problem, need advise for Festergut

lyok0929
05-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Hello, my name is Tharic. this is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gurubashi&cn=Tharic

I just had some threat issues with both of my talents ( only AoE), and some issues taunting as well in AoE fights, because there are too many mobs and I can't taunt them off before the aggro-pulling dps dies. Is there any way to fix it?

And..How far can I go in raids? Could I tank ICC25? or 10? Any gear suggestions?

Last question - when tanking festergut, when are the time to activate my cooldowns - and what should the cooldowns be? Army of Dead to take less dmg? Icebound Fortitude?

Thanks for reading, and more thanks..if you help, :)

Hvitserk
05-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Im not a deathknight tank. I just want that out there I have an 80 Warrior and Druid both tanks and my dk is level 72 working on him to be my 4th 80 3rd tank. A few things I want to say and I might be totally wrong with them but Im sure if i am they will soon be corrected.

Firstly, while it is my understanding DW frost tanks are still somewhat viable they need to use slow weapons for threat not fast ones, however, it is also my understanding that blood is the best tanking spec as far as overall progression tanking. You have more reliable cooldowns and things just go more smoothly. If you want to respec blood there are many forums and things on the subject that will help you out. It doesnt have the slap aoe aggro that frost has with HB crits but if you D&D IT PS Pest BB BB then you will have 4 death runes you can use for more BB and that might help with your aoe threat over all. If threat is still an issue talk with the dps and see if they can ether give you a second to pick them up or have some MD/TotT ready for you.

As far as festergut goes it would really depend on when you are tanking him as to how you blow your CDs. 0-2 inhales i wouldnt really worry about CDs unless you seem to be taking way to much dmg but once he is on that 2nd inhale start using the ones with the lowest CD and work your way up. If you have just taunted and he is on the end of the 2nd beginning of the 3rd inhale ... pop the CDs that are going to keep you up the best. The trick with that fight is timing the CDs so you dont blow them all at once or back to back but so there isnt a huge gap with no CDs. If you are raiding with a disc priest make sure to work out when he is going to be using Pain suppression so you dont blow a CD there as well to give you a bit more spread out mitigation.

Most of your gear looks fine. I would change a few things like gemming your ring for one. Id use the 30 sta shoulder enchant from PVP and the 240 armor to gloves other then that try and see if you can work in some more hit rating (if you are going blood) and expertise.

Hvitserk/Místrunner

Selene
05-25-2010, 12:54 AM
First get rid of that Falric's Wrist Chopper that is made for a Paladin or Warrior tank, just about anything else is better than that.
If threat is a major issue for you, get 2 slow DPS weapons. Nighttime from Heroic Forge of Souls is a good weapon from outside of raids.
Also what is your rotation?

Put a gem into your ring.

Either level up your inscription to get the shoulder enchant or switch to Blacksmithing or JC, especially since you are a miner.

Get the 245 tank chest made or try to get the drop off the first boss in ToC25.

Your hit rating is "okay" but as a DW tank you want to get your Expertise up to 26, I personally am an advocate for tanks having hit rating and expertise, I know a lot of others say no to that. So I am at 8% (not the 5% needed for DW) and 26 expertise. As DW you will be doing more swings than a 2H DK, having the expertise ensure that you hit more often (boss/mobs are less likely to dodge) thus producing more threat.

your Glyphs are wrong.
You want to use these:
Oblit (Mandatory for any Frost DK)
Icy Touch or Howling Blast
Frost Strike or Rune Strike

This (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EoZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0x) is the base spec I recommend for a DW Frost Tank. You will have 3 points, I recommend Epidemic (2) and Scent of Blood.

Death and Decay isn't used by Frost Tanks except to open on a group of mobs.
Army of the Dead does not reduce damage. It is only used as a DPS boost and only for certain fights or at certain times.
As to when to use your CDs and which ones to use, that's a bit harder to say.

ICC25 you should be okay as an OT for most fights in the 1st wing (depends on if a group does 3 tank or 2 tank).

Hvitserk
05-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Army of the Dead
1 Blood 1 Unholy 1 Frost
Instant 10 min cooldown
Summons an entire legion of Ghouls to fight for the Death Knight. The Ghouls will swarm the area, taunting and fighting anything they can. While channelling Army of the Dead, the Death Knight takes less damage equal to <his/Ghis>:her; Dodge plus Parry chance.

Selene
05-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Army of the Dead
1 Blood 1 Unholy 1 Frost
Instant 10 min cooldown
Summons an entire legion of Ghouls to fight for the Death Knight. The Ghouls will swarm the area, taunting and fighting anything they can. While channelling Army of the Dead, the Death Knight takes less damage equal to <his/Ghis>:her; Dodge plus Parry chance.

Okay so it does, never used it for that... But generally a DK Tank will use it when they aren't the main target for additional DPS on a boss in a raid.

Truthfully in Festergut the best time to use Army is when are you "DPSing" him or when you aren't MT on him if you don't get to "DPS" on him

Martie
05-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Army of the Dead
1 Blood 1 Unholy 1 Frost
Instant 10 min cooldown
Remember that while channeling, you don't dodge or parry either. I can see someone using it on Sindy's frost breaths, but on Festergut, taking every blow (even at reduced damage per blow) makes it a dangerous spell to use.

Selene
05-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Remember that while channeling, you don't dodge or parry either. I can see someone using it on Sindy's frost breaths, but on Festergut, taking every blow (even at reduced damage per blow) makes it a dangerous spell to use.

Which is why I probably never considered using it as a defensive CD since before anytime I did try to do so... I got spanked HARD...

Hvitserk
05-25-2010, 01:21 AM
I didnt say it was a good idea to use just that it does reduce dmg