PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior needing advice?

Hilll
05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey guys, here's my armory link.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rexxar&cn=Hill

Does anyone have any advice for what I should change or is my spec/gear okay?

I seem to be doing okay ish tanking but I'm soo paranoid o_o I do sometimes have trouble holding aggro, especially if I'm tanking a big group.

Also.. does anyone have any tips on being the abom in the putricide fight? I can't eat the slime fast enough.

Derkenne
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey Mate
Just had a nosey at your character sheet (Nice Gear =D ! )
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman'Thul&cn=Derkenne
Here is my link while not quite as geared =P I find my Primary spec great for single target threat and the secondary spec is very effective at "AoE Tanking"
Hope this helps mate!
Happy Hunting!!

Dreadski
05-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Hill, couple quick things. First, your meta gem is doing nothing for you, put a 10 dodge/15 stamina gem in the other socket so you can activate it! Also, the 30 stam pvp enchant for shoulders is a must, for the gloves put either 18 stam or 240 armor, the one you have does very little for you. 18 stam to shield would be my choice as well. Good call on the crit scope on your gun!

Now, spec. No reason to go that many points into arms without getting Impale and Deep Wounds. Use this one instead:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo:TciMom
It's heavy threat, heavy survivability; you get the best of both worlds.

Also, please see http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?60155-Agg-s-Prot-War-Tanking-Guide which will fill in many of the blanks I missed. Good luck!

Dreadski
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Mate
Just had a nosey at your character sheet (Nice Gear =D ! )
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman'Thul&cn=Derkenne
Here is my link while not quite as geared =P I find my Primary spec great for single target threat and the secondary spec is very effective at "AoE Tanking"
Hope this helps mate!
Happy Hunting!!

Follow what I told the OP on gemming and enchanting, because yours is off. Change out the red gem for a better one and get rid of the hit gem in your helm. Also enchant your weapon with mongoose or blood draining, get the pvp enchant for shoulders, 225 armor to cape etc. The secondary 3/14/54 spec you have is not optimal for anything, you'd be better of with 5/15/51 for shouts or 15/3/53 for threat.

dgen
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, here's my armory link.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rexxar&cn=Hill

Does anyone have any advice for what I should change or is my spec/gear okay?

Helm - change the 30 Stamina gem to a 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina Gem, it's called Regal Dreadstone.

Shoulders - change the Enchant on shoulders to 30 Stamina / 15 Resillience, it's better as a whole, as a tanks' main focus should be EHP, which stands for Effective Hit Point, or Effective Health; the 15 Resillience also helps with reaching the Defense cap, which can be quite annoying while you're in Resist gear for fights like Sindragosa and Lich King HM(for when you get there).

Gloves - personally, I don't like the 2% Threat from Armsman, but it seems you're having trouble maintaining aggro 100% of the time (correct me if I'm wrong) - so Armsman is probably your best bet until you've learned to AoE tank properly, when you've reached that point, 240 Armor is the way to go.

Belt - personally, I'd use a 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina gem there, as it's a +9 Stamina socket bonus. I try to maintain the rule of gemming 30 Stamina for Blue, 30 Stamina for Yellow and 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina ONLY in Red slots that award +9 or more Stamina - this 'pointer' is personal preference, and won't really change much.

Legs - those legs are really bad, if I were you I'd try getting either the Legguards of Lost Hope or Pillars of Might, depending on how much gold you have access to, the reason being is cause they're both very beneficial pieces cause you can use Legguards of Lost Hope for threat and Pillars of Might for mitigation because of the high armor - another upside to using them is Prismatic Gemming, as you can put all 3 Solid Dragon's Eyes' in them, making gear switching that much easier, as you'll only ever need to choose from one of the two pair of legs.

Boots - they enchant isn't exactly 'wrong', but Tuskar's Vitality is a lot more beneficial, as the increased mobility is amazing and can't be passed up in my opinion - you'll find yourself noticing this soon after changing it, if you do decide to.

Trinkets - they're fine, though I would consider using Glyph of Indomitability for fights where physical damage is the only incoming source of damage, as Armor provides amazing levels of mitigation. If you do decide to use Glyph of Indomitability, keep Satrina's Impeding Scarab, as the health-on-use is more beneficial than absorb-on-use.

Weapon - enchant is fine, though I didn't really use Blood Draining much until ICC hardmodes, where my health began fluctuating a lot during combat. I find Mongoose provides a more of an avoidance boost, and is also better for threat, though not by much. Blade Ward would be your #1 threat enchant, but I think it's pretty crap as a whole personally.

Shield - change this enchant to +18 Stamina, again, it's more of an EHP boost and you don't 'need' the Defense that you currently have enchanted.

Also.. does anyone have any tips on being the abom in the putricide fight? I can't eat the slime fast enough.Practice makes perfect, just keep trying - make sure your group let you face pull, and they taunt off you, this will buy you a good 3 seconds. You can also move before you actually turn into the Abomination, so make sure you start moving as soon as you've clicked the table - other than that, spam until your fingers fall off and prioritize eatin' dem oozes over absolutely everything.

Lets move onto your spec.

Going by the information that you've provided, threat is a problem but single target threat currently suffices, correct? If so, I'd recommend changing your spec to this (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo:TicoMm) for general tanking and this (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZGxcZVItrx0didczsGo:iMToMm) for AoE tanking only IF it's -required- .. sometimes simply re-glyphing will improve your ability to AoE tank - also, the glyphs are provided within those links.

The reason behind the use of Glyph of Devastate is cause is helps single target threat a lot, and seeing as you're not yet raiding ICC hardmodes, you don't need the reduced cooldown on Last Stand from the Last Stand glyph, and the mitigation from Glyph of Blocking isn't high enough to make it more valuable than Glyph of Devastate in mine, and a lot of other experienced Warriors' opinions

The reason behind Glyph of Taunt is that ICC gear doesn't provide amazing levels of hit, so you'll need this glyph to ensure your taunt always succeeds, to ensure the survival of your fellow raiders. ^^

The reason behind Glyph of Shield Wall is cause it provides amazing flexibility with regards to cooldown selection, having Shield Wall on a 2 minute cooldown means you can use it a lot more often in boss fights and it means you don't have to be so careful with your cooldown management in the sense that there should always be an option when you're about to experience a rise in incoming damage.

The minor glyphs are pretty self spoken for, and if I remember correctly you had the same selection minus the Glyph of Bloodrage. Glyph of Bloodrage is pretty nifty, though the health lost from the use of the ability is no more than that of a Paladins Flash of Light or a Priests Renew tick, so I find my choices to be slightly more valuable, it's just my opinion however.

I hope this has helped, you can PM me via. these forums and I'll give you my MSN / character name incase you need a more in-depth explanation for anything regarding Warrior tanking or Warrior DPS.

Dreadski
05-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Helm - change the 30 Stamina gem to a 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina Gem, it's called Regal Dreadstone.

Shoulders - change the Enchant on shoulders to 30 Stamina / 15 Resillience, it's better as a whole, as a tanks' main focus should be EHP, which stands for Effective Hit Point, or Effective Health; the 15 Resillience also helps with reaching the Defense cap, which can be quite annoying while you're in Resist gear for fights like Sindragosa and Lich King HM(for when you get there).

Gloves - personally, I don't like the 2% Threat from Armsman, but it seems you're having trouble maintaining aggro 100% of the time (correct me if I'm wrong) - so Armsman is probably your best bet until you've learned to AoE tank properly, when you've reached that point, 240 Armor is the way to go.

Belt - personally, I'd use a 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina gem there, as it's a +9 Stamina socket bonus. I try to maintain the rule of gemming 30 Stamina for Blue, 30 Stamina for Yellow and 10 Dodge / 15 Stamina ONLY in Red slots that award +9 or more Stamina - this 'pointer' is personal preference, and won't really change much.

Legs - those legs are really bad, if I were you I'd try getting either the Legguards of Lost Hope or Pillars of Might, depending on how much gold you have access to, the reason being is cause they're both very beneficial pieces cause you can use Legguards of Lost Hope for threat and Pillars of Might for mitigation because of the high armor - another upside to using them is Prismatic Gemming, as you can put all 3 Solid Dragon's Eyes' in them, making gear switching that much easier, as you'll only ever need to choose from one of the two pair of legs.

Boots - they enchant isn't exactly 'wrong', but Tuskar's Vitality is a lot more beneficial, as the increased mobility is amazing and can't be passed up in my opinion - you'll find yourself noticing this soon after changing it, if you do decide to.

Trinkets - they're fine, though I would consider using Glyph of Indomitability for fights where physical damage is the only incoming source of damage, as Armor provides amazing levels of mitigation. If you do decide to use Glyph of Indomitability, keep Satrina's Impeding Scarab, as the health-on-use is more beneficial than absorb-on-use.

Weapon - enchant is fine, though I didn't really use Blood Draining much until ICC hardmodes, where my health began fluctuating a lot during combat. I find Mongoose provides a more of an avoidance boost, and is also better for threat, though not by much. Blade Ward would be your #1 threat enchant, but I think it's pretty crap as a whole personally.

Shield - change this enchant to +18 Stamina, again, it's more of an EHP boost and you don't 'need' the Defense that you currently have enchanted.

Practice makes perfect, just keep trying - make sure your group let you face pull, and they taunt off you, this will buy you a good 3 seconds. You can also move before you actually turn into the Abomination, so make sure you start moving as soon as you've clicked the table - other than that, spam until your fingers fall off and prioritize eatin' dem oozes over absolutely everything.

Lets move onto your spec.

Going by the information that you've provided, threat is a problem but single target threat currently suffices, correct? If so, I'd recommend changing your spec to this (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0didczsGo:TicoMm) for general tanking and this (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZGxcZVItrx0didczsGo:iMToMm) for AoE tanking only IF it's -required- .. sometimes simply re-glyphing will improve your ability to AoE tank - also, the glyphs are provided within those links.

The reason behind the use of Glyph of Devastate is cause is helps single target threat a lot, and seeing as you're not yet raiding ICC hardmodes, you don't need the reduced cooldown on Last Stand from the Last Stand glyph, and the mitigation from Glyph of Blocking isn't high enough to make it more valuable than Glyph of Devastate in mine, and a lot of other experienced Warriors' opinions

The reason behind Glyph of Taunt is that ICC gear doesn't provide amazing levels of hit, so you'll need this glyph to ensure your taunt always succeeds, to ensure the survival of your fellow raiders. ^^

The reason behind Glyph of Shield Wall is cause it provides amazing flexibility with regards to cooldown selection, having Shield Wall on a 2 minute cooldown means you can use it a lot more often in boss fights and it means you don't have to be so careful with your cooldown management in the sense that there should always be an option when you're about to experience a rise in incoming damage.

The minor glyphs are pretty self spoken for, and if I remember correctly you had the same selection minus the Glyph of Bloodrage. Glyph of Bloodrage is pretty nifty, though the health lost from the use of the ability is no more than that of a Paladins Flash of Light or a Priests Renew tick, so I find my choices to be slightly more valuable, it's just my opinion however.

I hope this has helped, you can PM me via. these forums and I'll give you my MSN / character name incase you need a more in-depth explanation for anything regarding Warrior tanking or Warrior DPS.

I would have posted an incredibly long winded wall of text too, however since I hit all the bases in a previous post, and furthermore since all of the reasons behind those decisions are covered in the many guides posted all over this site, I saved myself some time. Redundant post is redundant, I wish you would have at least argued with me or something. Also I'd disagree on using the Glyph even for physical-oriented fights, as both of the current trinkets the OP is wearing are superior in terms of effective health.

dgen
05-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Redundant post is redundant, I wish you would have at least argued with me or something.Naw, not redundant - he asked for help, I gave him my views and opinions based on my experience and preferences, which are also the preference of many Warriors who are noteworthy; who are you again?

Also, I don't waste my time arguing with e-heroes, for lack of a better word, thanks for caring though.

Edit: Don't even bother replying Austeros, I'm not going to bother reading this thread again & you're going off-topic - someone asked for help, I helped them; stop taking shit personally and grow up.

Dreadski
05-26-2010, 04:44 AM
I wasn't going to bother replying until you asked not to, waiting for the lock. The only thing that your opinion seriously differed on was wasting an extra gem slot in the belt for 10 more dodge rating. Yes, redundant. For the most part it was the exact same information. Example:

Should I add deadlifts into my workout?

Yes, deadlifts are excellent for overall strength

Do deadlifts

I like deadlifts too, my strength has increased since I started doing them last year

Deadlifts are excellent for lower back and posterior chain strength

See how that gets not only annoying, but old?

Wow this thread got immature. I sound like a 12 year old.

EDIT: Oh snap, I didn't realize you were also a slayer of tanks, I take it all back O great one!