PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tanking weapon

Areto
05-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I have the 251 mace from icc10. I have 554 defence. Is it worth getting a "non tank weapon"? I don't have problems with threat. For some reason I can't link my armory.

Name: pānic
server: blackhand US horde

Selene
05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
As a Shield Tank you should almost always use a Tank Weapon. They have more stamina and tanking stats.

If you are a DW DK, then tanking weapons if no threat issues, dps weapons if you do have issues with threat.

Areto
05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I've never really played a dw dk. But wouldn't they want to use tanking weapons also. Just due to how much stamina the weapons give? With the icc debuff wouldn't they need the stamina?

Selene
05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
There are several ways for a DW DK Tank to do weapons.

2 Tanking Weapons - more stamina and more tank stats.
2 Slow DPS Weapons - more threat, but less stamina/tank stats.

1 Slow DPS Weapon/1 Tank Weapon - mix of both.

I have done it all, and I personally perferred 2 Tanking weapons when I DW tanked, but part of it could be is when I did use DPS weapons, even with nothing but melee strikes, the other tank sometime had issues with keeping threat from me. Hell I had recently did ToC25 and I had to stop attacking completely, because with just auto attacks I was pulling threat back from the other tanks after they taunted (when I was using dps weapons).

swelt
05-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Think this is your armory? - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackhand&cn=P%C3%A2nic

So I don't know why we are talking about DK mechanics, the OP is a warrior. To answer the question - it's up to you. You do not have to use a tank weapon all the time, personally I typically have 3-4 weapons in my bags like a golf bag. For any encounter where survivability is a factor, you'll want a traditional tanking weapon. DPS weapons (especially slow ones) are handy for situations where burst threat is useful (e.g. trash, add fights like VDW) because they make devastate hit hard, and because of the dps stats on them.