PDA

View Full Version : Tanking professions and the differance they can make on tanking/dps

massacrejons
05-21-2010, 04:16 PM
my question is that on every post I have put up asking questions about how to gem, gear advice, and problems I have had people always bring up professions. do they trully effect the tanks life and a dps' dps that much that you should change your profession. I have played since pre bc and professions did not give stats till wotlk so was just wondering if they are just something to change like gear now.

Selene
05-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Yes and no.
When it really comes down to it, have the professions that you want, it is your character and tell off anyone that says your profession suck.
However to get the most benefit out of your professions, certain professions are better than others when it comes to the bonus you get from them.

Areto
05-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I have found that any two non gathering professions will give the biggest bonus. You just have to decide what two you want. A lot of tanks do blacksmithing and jc. That being said I like gathering so I mine and blacksmith.

Mert
05-24-2010, 07:22 AM
It doesn't make a huge difference necessarily but it does make a difference all the same. For tanking, the "optimal" enchants will net you either somewhere in the region of 120 Stamina or 60 Stamina + 600 Armor. The reason many choose to pick up a non-Mining profession is for flexibility in using other specs as the Stamina bonus is really only of maximum benefit to a tank (in PvE, at least). If you run dual-Prot and will always only use dual-Prot then maxed Mining will grant you no difference to Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Jewelcrafting, etc.

It really depends on your own playstyle and your desire/need to get the absolute maximum you can out of your character. If you intend to tank a few instances, some previous-tier raids or even ICC on Normal at a relatively casual pace then no, min/maxing your professions is not really necessary. If you expect to get into a high-end progression guild, however, then maxed non-gathering, class-relevant professions are often an essential part of getting in purely for the reason that it shows you're dedicated to getting every ounce of productivity out of your character that you can and for the content that they're progressing through that additional 120 Stamina or whatever absolutely will make the difference.

In many ways it's like the Sons of Hodir rep grind - can you DPS effectively without the enchant? Sure, of course you can. Would it give you more DPS to have it over not having it? Of course.

Really it comes down to how you want to play the game and what you want to get out of it - if you want to do enough then don't worry about it, pick what you like having. If you want to do the absolute best you can then having role-appropriate professions are right up there with gemming, glyphing and all the other ways Blizzard allow you to customise your character to get the most out of it.

EDIT: Besides, there were some benefits from professions in TBC though they may not have been as pronounced as they are now - how many raiding Healers did you see with the Alchemist's Stone or DPS with Enchanting for the ring enchants or Leatheworking for the haste drums etc. Blizzard expanded on that concept for Wrath of the Lich King with more BoP items and an inherent and broadly-equivalent (from an iLevel budget point of view, at least) benefit to all professions but the benefits were already appearing even back when you played in TBC.