PDA

View Full Version : 25man Sindragosa Heroic as Tank Warrior

Strongbow
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Hello,

question to all of the Warrior Tanks here, who tanked Sindragosa 25HM successfully.

Acutally my raid is triyin Sindragosa 25Man Heroic. The Problem I see as a Warrior Tank
is that on the one side you have lot of frost damage, on the other hand the Boss does parry haste.

If Boss parries it's very realistic that this will kills me as tank as Its nealy not possible to heal approx
70k melee damage within 1-2 seconds.

What is your strategie to tank this boss, do you wear Gear with Frost Resistance and mix in as much of Expertise as possible, or do you wear EH Gear with Expertise Cap (56)

Would be gread if somebody could give me an idea how to handle this the best way.

I know that this boss might be easier with Paladin or Druid as Tanks.
Paladin is able to get 16 Expertise by Skill + Glyphes, and Druid normally has so many live that it's no problem to get 70k Damage within 1-2 sekonds.

I do not think that it's good if the raid is addicted only from 2 Tank Classes to fight against this boss, as 2 form our 5 Tanks are Warrious and our Paladines and Druids do not have 100% raid attendants.

p.s. please excuse my worse english, i'm not a native speaker ;)

Casper7526
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
As I've now successfully tanked this fight quite a few times, I can tell you in my personal opinion it is 100% much safer to wear normal tanking(armor) gear in regards to this fight. Now, I will say that you will be unable to tank the boss during phase 1. Trust me, no matter how much I want to be able to, it is 100% too risky for a warrior to be tanking her without cd's.

First I'll give you my armory, so you can see my current gear.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Coilfang&cn=Notghostly

Second I'll explain how I personally deal with tanking during phase 3.

First block lands... I prepare to taunt...
Ghostly taunting in 3 2 (LAST STAND POPPED) 1 - Taunt
Now I will most likely take a breath during this first tanking situation and since I only have last stand up, I proceed to pop my sind trinket to lessen the blast.

Second time I tank... 3-2-(Shield Wall)-1
Third time I tank 3-2-(PS)-1
Fourth time I tank 3-2-(GS)-1
Fifth time I tank --- Ghostly 0 CD's available (This means 3 healers will stay out and bomb heals on me.
6th time I tank - Shield wall is backup
7th time (if we reach this point) I have a GS available again as well as Last stand most of the time.

In short..

You are unable to fight sindragosa as a warrior without CD's being up on you at all times (especially during breaths).

Blitzago
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
That is false.. Warrior's can tank just fine without cooldowns, our warrior tanks phase 1 just fine. And doesn't blow a cooldown right before taunting, and saves them for frost breaths.

Tinytankz
05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
As I've now successfully tanked this fight quite a few times, I can tell you in my personal opinion it is 100% much safer to wear normal tanking(armor) gear in regards to this fight. Now, I will say that you will be unable to tank the boss during phase 1. Trust me, no matter how much I want to be able to, it is 100% too risky for a warrior to be tanking her without cd's.

First I'll give you my armory, so you can see my current gear.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Coilfang&cn=Notghostly

Second I'll explain how I personally deal with tanking during phase 3.

First block lands... I prepare to taunt...
Ghostly taunting in 3 2 (LAST STAND POPPED) 1 - Taunt
Now I will most likely take a breath during this first tanking situation and since I only have last stand up, I proceed to pop my sind trinket to lessen the blast.

Second time I tank... 3-2-(Shield Wall)-1
Third time I tank 3-2-(PS)-1
Fourth time I tank 3-2-(GS)-1
Fifth time I tank --- Ghostly 0 CD's available (This means 3 healers will stay out and bomb heals on me.
6th time I tank - Shield wall is backup
7th time (if we reach this point) I have a GS available again as well as Last stand most of the time.

In short..

You are unable to fight sindragosa as a warrior without CD's being up on you at all times (especially during breaths).

You don't have glyph of last stand and are forgetting engaged regeneration as well. This means there is always a CD for you to use 100% of your fights Enraged is like a whole nother healer on you dont discount it.

kherberos88
05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I just wear about 220 orso Frost res. Using a 245 helmet with frost res enchant (also has exp) And the 258 cloak with Frostres enchant(also with exp) and like 2 frost plate items + onyxia25 ring.
This is more than enough to give me plenty HP + decent avoidance and I frequently fully resist a breath.

Btw , you can also use a paladin's aura mastery with frost res to add another way of surviving breaths.
Sindra trinket is golden ofc.
4set tier bonus might be considered as well. The roughly 15-16k absorb you should be able to get is lifesaving on a breath+melee combo
Combined with glyphed SW/LS I dont rly have alot of problems with surviving a breath , I usually die due to freak debuffs on healers or just weird shit. To prevent early death upon swap just only taunt, dont actually hit it (you wont lose it anyway) Also taunt from say 1 yard to the opposite side of the tank vs melee group. That way it wont turn slightly and allow melee to parry haste. If blocks get killed smoothly + efficient movement/swapping of 2 tanks you are likely to get about 3 stacks at most and only more if either the tank didnt reset correctly or the pull ability is used at a unlucky time.

Keep up the effort and believe in us, we can tank this fine !

Gnurken
05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
As for parry haste we had some issues with melee being too spread along the side so some of them got parries. As for me when tanking last phase I simply stop attacking to avoid getting parry-haste-gimped. Threat lead is soo big from phase1 that I don't need to spam and risk it. I just keep sunders stacked and the occasional shield slam.

gacktt
05-07-2010, 03:37 AM
I wear my normal tanking set + FR boots and ring, I'd use 245 onyxia on but it never drops.

70,500 hp and 283 frost resist(that's with FR aura), I don't tank her in p1 even though it is possible, it's just a lot easier with a DK/druid who has short 1 min cd's they can rotate.

I should also use last stand glyph but things turn out decently well anyway, wall-stand-guardianspirit-wall-stand. the frost breathes are nothing to be worried about, it'll never kill you unless something stupid happens and you take a 60k breathe with 9 stacks.

Crommi
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Seems like less FR is definately better, I ran with ~350 buffed on our first kill and tanking only during P2 I took 851k melee damage and just 77k Frost Breath damage. Even her average melee swing hit harder than average Frost Breath (3 hits of 25k avg + 2 full resists).

Gearset was FR enchant on helm, FR belt, FR boots and 245 Onyxia ring.

Dragaan
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Wear mostly normal gear, gemmed for stamina. If you have the onyxia25 ring, wear that. For our first kill I also wore the frostresist+stam helm enchant and the frost resist back enchant, but I don't think it's necessary. Expertise is definitely nice to have on this fight, so wear any solid expertise pieces you have w/o gimping your stam or losing your 4p.

As for a warrior not being able to tank her in p1... that's a silly thing to say. When we first did the fight, there was no huge icc buff. P1 was pretty scary at first, and I did get gibbed a few times. Then I realized I should probably be using my cooldowns preemptively each ground phase, as it's a fairly long fight and the air phase allows them a lot of time to reset. Use glyph of last stand and shield wall, and use 1 of them every ground phase. I usually burn it as soon as I see myself dip to an uncomfortable level of hp, and if that doesn't happen I just use it when there's 20 or 12sec left till she takes off (depending which cd it is). If both paladins get unchained, I'll use enraged regen too. Never had any problems again. Oh, and obviously you should use your 4p and trinket for breaths.

Blacksen
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmD_Wrnbe0c - Our first heroic Sindragosa kill (using a Prot Paladin / Warrior). Vent included

As the original poster noted, Sindragosa is only hard because of her melee damage. Her frost breaths, while painful, aren't exactly difficult to heal through. You get a 1.5 second heads up for it coming. The Sindragosa trinket can also be a fantastic way to lessen the blast. Our tanks rotate *minor* tanking cooldowns for the Frost Breaths (like the Skeleton Key). Don't use major cooldowns for Frost Breaths. As a warrior, your 4pc bonus is a fantastic way to mitigate the Frost Breath damage. Focus on *minor* cooldowns (shield block, skeleton key, bloodrage, etc.) for the Frost Breaths.

You should make sure you aggressively use major tanking cooldowns. Most raids come to this fight with over 10 tanking cooldowns available. Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression, Bubble Sac, and the individual tanking cooldowns. Phase 3 only lasts 3-4 minutes, so you could realistically have a cooldown up the entire time. It's also worth putting a soulstone on the warrior tank. A tank death doesn't necessarily mean a wipe.

Communication is critical for tanking her. When Unchained Magic goes out, that's a great time to pop a cooldown. Have your tank healers speak up when they get unchained magic so that other healers know to switch over.

The big reason that a warrior tank is so inferior is the health pool in combination with no Will of the Necropolis / Ardent Defender (the passive bonus, not the proc). Because nearly every melee swing takes a tank from 100% to under 30%, these talents mitigate a LOT of damage.

Tyliam
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Here is our video for the H 25 man fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPo674jfSm0&feature=player_embedded

Stack as much armor as possible, I have over 40k before procs, in P3 you must keep an eye on your stacks and save your big cooldowns for if you are going to take a breath with 5+ stacks. The ony ring is uber for this fight.

You don't need to worry about parry gibs in this fight, The frost breath gives you a big attack speed debuff which helps a lot.

Dragaan
05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
The big reason that a warrior tank is so inferior is the health pool in combination with no Will of the Necropolis / Ardent Defender (the passive bonus, not the proc). Because nearly every melee swing takes a tank from 100% to under 30%, these talents mitigate a LOT of damage.

Her melee and cleave hit a very well-geared warrior for 20-30k, usually on the lower end of that. Saying that nearly every melee swing drops a tank from 100% to under 30% is not very accurate. The only fight where those talents really shine now is heroic LK. Sindragosa isn't nearly as tough as heroic LK as far as the melee goes. THAT's the fight where many of the melee hits will drop a tank from 100% to under 30%, and that occurs VERY often.

Also, @Tyliam, I don't really think stacking armor over stamina is a great idea on sindragosa. There is a ton of magic damage coming at you, and it's not all from the breaths. I say stamina all the way on sindragosa. Also, parry-gibs really do occur frequently. The debuff slows your white swings down, but we're still using our specials just about every single GCD. I've gone over many logs of the fight, both my own logs and other guilds. I've seen many, many parry-gibs (on all types of tanks).

Tyliam
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Also, @Tyliam, I don't really think stacking armor over stamina is a great idea on sindragosa. There is a ton of magic damage coming at you, and it's not all from the breaths. I say stamina all the way on sindragosa. Also, parry-gibs really do occur frequently. The debuff slows your white swings down, but we're still using our specials just about every single GCD. I've gone over many logs of the fight, both my own logs and other guilds. I've seen many, many parry-gibs (on all types of tanks).

I don't gimp my stam either, i have ~67k buffed with the current ICC buff which is plenty, our first kills where before the most recent buff.

Here is a log for a kill from a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-bjxv77tvinmy59a6/details/10/?s=10523&e=11057

You can see average melee hit is down to 27k ( presuming this is why I dont get parry gibbed) , average frost breaths 35k, during p3 I always pop a armor potion which puts me at 45k+ armor with pally aura and totem. I picked this route based on feedback from our healers, they can deal with the frostbreath spikes via cooldowns, they much prefer lower overall damage from stacking armor, I lose 4k hp at 67k thats not a huge amount for a 5 or 6k armor increase from 35k to 40k.