PDA

View Full Version : A great American Hero Died this morning

Aggathon
05-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Guenter Wendt, the pad leader for all of the manned spaceflights in the 1960s and early 1970s with the exception of Apollo 1 passed away this morning. He was a great man, the stuff legends are made from. I had the fortunate opportunity to meet this great individual in real life twice. He had an aura of sheer brilliance about him, even when I saw him this last time only 3 weeks ago.

If you have never heard of this man before today, then you should read about him. This article is a good start, but if you really want to know a lot then you should buy his book, "The Unbroken Chain."

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-050310a.html

Braindamage
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
What server did he play on?

Banterloft
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Are you kidding Brain...Wow

Agga - Good read man

jondube
05-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Rest in Peace Guenter Wendt....

have found out also at amazon affiliate forum (http://bizmarketingideas.com/113/amazon-affiliate/)...

raynman
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
As a fan of the space program I have read most books regarding the Gemini, Mercury, and Apollo programs. I read his book about three years ago and found it to be a great read. It's a shame he passed away, I was supposed to go up to Kansas for the 40th anniversary of Apollo 13 with a friend, but a family emergency kept me from attending. It would have been a thrill to meet the man.

Aggathon
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Ya, I got to go, and I went on a personal tour of some of the museum exhibits led by Jack Lousman and Alan Bean. It was remarkable. I was simply awestruck. If you want to know more I guess either post here or PM me.

Quick thing though: they were selling bottles of decent wine (not great, but decent) that was made in Kansas but was especially made for Apollo 13 and they were labeled as Apollo 13 and all this fancy stuff. I bought one and am saving it to be opened when we land on the moon again. I figure at that point in time it will be like a 50 year old wine and it will be exquisite.