PDA

View Full Version : Weird behaviour of Soul Reaper in LK25 normal

Helistar
04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Hello,
we just did some chain-wiping in our LK25 normal attempts, and in ALL cases, the log (recount, grimreaper), reports a double application of Soul Reaper on our main tank (we don't do a tank switch, the MT eats the reaper using CDs). The re-application occurs exacly 5 seconds after the 1st application, which ends up one-shotting the MT.
Has any of you observed something of the kind? Is this a hotfix to force a tank switch?

Nez
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
We did not have that problem last night in our run that I noticed anywise. Normal Mode. But that is without looking at logs. Never lost the MT that way though.

Kinch
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
That's how it's supposed to work. Fifty percent weapon damage then five seconds later a glob of shadow damage.

gacktt
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Uh soul reaper hits twice, 30k at the start and another 45k after 5 seconds. Still, our DK tank can live through every reaper without any cd's from the looks of things, even if I don't safeguard him he still comes out ok.

Kloon
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Soulreaper is applied to the tank tanking The Lich King, and after 5 seconds it deals 60000 damage to the afflicted tank, and after that it increases the Lich Kings haste by 100% for 5 seconds.

Helistar
04-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for your answers. 50% weapon damage is computed how? (i.e. it's 30k with mitigation?) I'll have to ask for the logs, but on one of the tries I remember 45k + 45k. What surprised us is that we rarely do tank switches, but use one tank with CDs to deal with the 50k+haste and it has always worked ok.

Dragaan
04-24-2010, 07:43 PM
It's 50% weapon damage as shadowstrike (i think - it's some hybrid type) damage for the application, then 60,000 shadow damage when it ticks 5seconds later. The initial hit/application is either shadow damage or physical damage (NOT mitigated by armor). If the shadow damage, after resists, is still higher than the unmitigated physical damage, then it will be shadow. If not, it will be physical. The "tick" 5seconds later is pure shadow damage and is not affected by resist (although I believe abilities like AMS still absorb some of the damage). I'm not sure if AMS technically would absorb any of the damage from the initial application, but if it did it wouldn't really matter because it would force you to take the damage as physical anyway (since AMS would lower the potential shadow dmg).

A bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Fetzie
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
It's 50% weapon damage as shadowstrike (i think - it's some hybrid type) damage for the application, then 60,000 shadow damage when it ticks 5seconds later. The initial hit/application is either shadow damage or physical damage (NOT mitigated by armor). If the shadow damage, after resists, is still higher than the unmitigated physical damage, then it will be shadow. If not, it will be physical. The "tick" 5seconds later is pure shadow damage and is not affected by resist (although I believe abilities like AMS still absorb some of the damage). I'm not sure if AMS technically would absorb any of the damage from the initial application, but if it did it wouldn't really matter because it would force you to take the damage as physical anyway (since AMS would lower the potential shadow dmg).

A bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

so the first damage works rather like Frostfire Bolt (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=47610)?

Dragaan
04-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes.

Well, I guess I worded it a little strange. The application won't actually hit for physical damage or shadow damage, it will hit for shadowstrike damage. It just hits for the same amount as whichever you're weakest against (unmitigated physical or shadow after resist).

Helistar
05-03-2010, 01:48 AM
After going though the logs with more detail, I can confirm that Dragaan's interpretation is 100% correct. The first hit can do some massive damage, since it bypasses armor. We did it again with no problem, so it must have been healers being asleep on that eveining.... :)

Superworm
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Even with the currently gear and buff level, generally you still need to blow cooldowns to live through this. When I tank 25LK, the spike damage from soul reaper is around 70k: 25k normal melee+ 45k shadow explosion. So you need to get past 70k hp to survive this without a cd. Also you should notice that during the 5 seconds LK attacks 100% faster, which may cause you to be not of full health if your healers are not on the ball.
This is the place where WotN of the blood dk really shines. AMS also absorbs the shadow damage, reducing the spike damage a lot. However soul reaper is on a 30 seconds cooldown so you still need another cd to fill up. Blood dks could use VS. For dks of other spec, and other tanks, you would want the support of raid cooldowns, like GS, PS or DG. With the current gear level, maybe a trinket like Skeleton keys would suffice to survive a soul reaper, but it's still much better to use or call for a cooldown, to reduce the randomness.