PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warriors vs. Ranged adds?

mognovox
04-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm an ok tank and all but I never really got how to grab ranged adds other than using heroic throw every min and that don't really work that well >.< Taunt just grabs the aggro but doesn't bring them over and i cant do nothing if i don;t bring them over so any help would be appreciated

Lynnx
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Im guessing that you are asking about casters that will jsut sit back throwing some form of magical annoyance at you. In this situation i would recommend learning what mobs in a specific group are the ones that dont "move." Charge that mob and let the other melee mobs come to you. If you are dealing with more than one caster mobs in a single pack then charge one, shield bash it to silence without stunning it. Then either intercept the second, or if it is too close run over to it. This should drag the two mobs together to where you are able to pick up both with thunderclap shockwave and cleave.

With non caster ranged mobs like hunters, utilize disarm (which also removes ranged weapons). If in a raid and a dk is available then have him/her grip the mob to you, then follow it up with a taunt. There is a massive array of abilities to use in ranged situations, its just finding out the ones that work best for you.

The Hoof
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Lynnx pretty much nailed it.

It's all about learning the encounters and how to pull them. Thanks for the info on disarm, I wasn't aware it disarmed ranged weapons too.

MellvarTank
04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
You can also shockwave your group, charge the caster, shield bash him for 3 second silence, then charge back to the group.

Also, spell reflect is fun.

Bashal
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Although not all instances provide a suitable obstacle, Line-of-Sight (LoS) works wonders:

1) Hit a mob in the group from range
2) Duck around a corner
3) All mobs, including casters, run around a corner in a neat little pack.

The rest of your group also needs to be out of LoS and not attacking till you have real threat on the group.

If you can't LoS, then the advice from previous posters is good.

mognovox
04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Yea, thanks Lynxx got all the info I needed out of your post :D

Slaman
04-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Another useful tool that I don't know how I lived without is a mouseover intervene macro. Sometimes for quick back and forth charging, you either don't have the time or don't have the rage to switch to berserker, intercept, and switch back. With a charge to a mob, if you have a raid member back at where you want to be, just hit your mouseover macro and wave your mouse wildly over the crowd until you find someone. I have used this on so many fights, especially in situations where you really don't have much time to target someone and have to react. It takes a couple trials to understand how to use it properly, but if you can use it, it's glorious.

#showtooltip Intervene
/cast Defensive Stance
/cast [target=mouseover] Intervene
/targetlasttarget

When pressed, it will switch to defensive if not already and give you the pointer to pick someone to intervene. The next person that you mouseover in range will be the person you intervene. It will also keep your current target. This also has amazing use in pvp.

Crick
04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
If it's one caster I'll just hit it with heroic throw and charge a melee so that way the caster will be silenced and come to me, otherwise if its multiple it's the same thing.. heroic throw one caster and charge the other caster, shockwave when they're all together. If I can't do this for some reason then I will throw some heavy threat on the caster and just leave it.