PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tanking with a dps weapon

Destrier
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
So I have the worst luck getting that mace to drop from Marrowgar. I'm still tanking with Rimefangs claw, and our guild is only clearing up thru Rotface at the moment.

However, I did wind up with gutbuster, as nobody else wanted it and it got me to thinking. Would this potentially be an upgrade tank weapon (over Rimefang's)? Losing the defense will still leave me well into the high 550's and it doesn't seem to drop my avoidance much at all. I'm really drooling over the extra hit since I have been somewhat hit starved in my current gear. Having a little trouble with threat as well. No problems keeping ahead of dps, but can't keep up with our warrior tank who is less geared than I am.

Am I crazy? I think this would be an awesome tank weapon for heroics, but would I be silly to use it in progression?

Jericho
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Short Answer: Tanking with one of the many DPS weapons out there is not necessarily a bad thing for certain encounters and trash.

Long Answer: I can not begin to compare Gutbuster TPS vs Rimefang. You should gain the natural DPS of the weapon, crit and some hit. While just about washing out on AP and Avoidance. What you lose is SBV, a scaling stat with Strength and ~45 stamina. If your EH is good enough for you to routinely survive the encounters you complete without any oh shit moments, then by all means use it. Pick and choose the encounters where you use this. If you aren't having many issue with your TPS with Rimefang (which honestly, you shouldn't be), then its a weapon you use on trash and the occasional encounter where increasing your DPS a slight amount even by dumping 45stamina is going to help (ie Saurfang).

Metasynaptic
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I decided to test this theory today. I threw on 2 pieces of high level dps gear and changed my weapon for 7 fingered claws. My defense was spot on 535, but none of the bosses were over level 82. I was throwing out about 30% more damage and overtook a couple of the dps. I imagine it can only get better with higher level gear.

i asked the healer if he was getting stressed healing me and he said no problems.

Harmacy
04-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Pick and choose the encounters where you use this.

This. A DPS weapon, for a Paladin tank, is a great tool in many situations but for content where tank death is a real issue, it's not something you should use.

Dreadski
04-21-2010, 05:01 AM
Short Answer: Tanking with one of the many DPS weapons out there is not necessarily a bad thing for certain encounters and trash.

Long Answer: I can not begin to compare Gutbuster TPS vs Rimefang. You should gain the natural DPS of the weapon, crit and some hit. While just about washing out on AP and Avoidance. What you lose is SBV, a scaling stat with Strength and ~45 stamina. If your EH is good enough for you to routinely survive the encounters you complete without any oh shit moments, then by all means use it. Pick and choose the encounters where you use this. If you aren't having many issue with your TPS with Rimefang (which honestly, you shouldn't be), then its a weapon you use on trash and the occasional encounter where increasing your DPS a slight amount even by dumping 45stamina is going to help (ie Saurfang).

The 40~ str is only equivalent to 20 block value, hardly gamebreaking, especially when we don't have a lot of gear with block rating on it, and the shield block ability just doubles it anyway. The only thing he'd REALLY be losing is a small amount of avoidance, but it's so small it's hardly noticeable.