PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior In Need Of Advice

Necrosti
04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey all,

So here's where I'm stuck. Guild just told me I'm taking too much damage on fights like Sindragosa and I don't have enough threat compared to the MT. Heres my armory...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Argent+Dawn&cn=Necrosti

I know im missing a gem on my ring and an enchant on my bracers; just got them. But I had the issue before the gear switch. Anyone have any ideas? I'm a frequent visitor to the site. My rotation is the basic as is stated here (Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Heroic strike when rage dumping, mixing in Shockwave and TC on certain fights/trash). The only other thing I haven't been doing but will start doing is throwing vigilance on a DPS. Any other ideas?

krc
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
For your gear 225 armor to cloak, 275 hp to chest, get Cataclysmic Chestguard, 18 stam to bracers and 55 stam enchant to your legs, get the Pillars of Might and Boots of Kingly Upheavel. Get the Glypg of Blocking. You should be fine for Sindragosa, mind posting a combat log?

Merkava1
04-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Personally I would prefer http://www.wowhead.com/item=44947 on bracers on bracers

Reev
04-20-2010, 08:13 PM
You're a little short on armor. Try to get yourself an armor trinket to replace the Black Heart. That said, armor isn't that big a deal on Sindragosa. I actually usually tank that in a frost resist set, just because her melee hits like a limp noodle. The FrResist makes a huge difference in incoming damage on that fight, and while it's not really necessary, it certainly helps.

Necrosti
04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey thanks for the advice all! Ill get a combat log, I run ICC 25 tommorow so we'll see what happens

Kurtosis
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Personally I would prefer http://www.wowhead.com/item=44947 on bracers on bracers
He might have meant 18 stam to gloves (http://www.wowhead.com/item=38376), but either way, OP could probably use both, depending on the threat/survivability tradeoff.

And I understand that Glyph of Blocking is essentially useless on boss fights. Block mitigates only a minor amount of dmg vs raid bosses, and Glyph of Blocking only makes it marginally less minor. That for progression raid tanking you want Glyph of Devastate, Shield Wall, and Last Stand...

krc
04-22-2010, 07:09 AM
He might have meant 18 stam to gloves (http://www.wowhead.com/item=38376), but either way, OP could probably use both, depending on the threat/survivability tradeoff.

And I understand that Glyph of Blocking is essentially useless on boss fights. Block mitigates only a minor amount of dmg vs raid bosses, and Glyph of Blocking only makes it marginally less minor. That for progression raid tanking you want Glyph of Devastate, Shield Wall, and Last Stand...

If anything I would say Glyph of Blocking is far more useful on progression than Glyph of Devastate. Glyph of Devastate adds threat, when is the last time you needed more threat? Glyph of Blocking on the other hand adds mitigation and damage and trust me more damage is always useful on progression.

Amaranthine
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Maybe it was mentioned and i just missed it, but are you using all the frost resist buffs you can get? don't forget flasks of lesser resistance

Crick
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Vigilance on the right person will make a huge difference, just find out who is being a threat monger.

Do what was listed above for enchants, that will help you out.. and then you can do my favorite part which is telling the healers to man up! haha

ironsides
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skullcrusher&cn=Ironsides

Thats what I wear for the most part on sindraggosa, I don't go crazy with frost resist, tanks should be swapping frequently and too much frost resist gear will really lower your stats making you vulnerable to melee damage. As said this isnt that important because she doesn't hit hard on 25 man normal mode but still should be considered. I just wear the frost resist belt, the ony ring, a resistance flask, and frost resist buffs. This puts me at like 300 Fr which makes a huge difference. I suggest stam strinket stacking if you have them, and yes copy my enchants or what most people here have said. All the biggest stam/armor enchants are best. I personally use armor to gloves but it's debatable with 18 stam.

I also agree with devestate/shield wall/ last stand glyphs. Most survivability and devestate is much more threat. You said you were having threat issues, that makes devestate even more important and as for progression fights, I find maximum dps important on those, the faster I can stack sunders when a boss drops from the sky or when a new phase starts the better. And if it helps me hold threat off my guildies as well, then we have a winner.

Make sure you guys are switching fast, and when blistering colds go out make sure you get a guardian spirit/ pop a cooldown, that is what kills me on hard mode. It is hard for healers to reach you to heal after running out and on hard mode blistering cold hits very hard. Even on normal mode I would say this is the most likely time for a tank death.

Lastly yes vigilance is key, preventing your highest threat guildy from being up your butt on threat is always nice and 10% of his threat going to you is even better. I personally put it on our fury warrior, they pull ridiculous amounts of threat and sometimes it is hard to keep aggro off of them, but with a quick vigilance they don't even come close and I get nearly a 10% threat increase.

Aggathon
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
If anything I would say Glyph of Blocking is far more useful on progression than Glyph of Devastate. Glyph of Devastate adds threat, when is the last time you needed more threat? Glyph of Blocking on the other hand adds mitigation and damage and trust me more damage is always useful on progression.

^ This, glyph of blocking isn't just for regular block damage, it really shines when you have shield block up because it translates to: block 20% more damage when shield block is active and do 20% more threat with shield slam.

Shield block with glyph of blocking is close to the amount of physical damage reduced by shield wall glyphed. It is surprisingly good and should NOT be underestimated.

Kurtosis
04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok, cool thanks, I'll be replacing Glyph of Devastate w/ Blocking next time I log in.