PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Focus Macro

Osue653
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi, Im new to using the set focus function. I was wanting to make a macro that will cast hos on the focus target. But im having trouble making it work. Im not real sure how the set focus works to start with. This is my first tank so try to take it easy on me with the commits please ..lol

Musclebound
04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
the basic syntax to cast a spell at your focus target is /cast [@focus] (spellname)

to set your focus all you have to do is target them and type /focus (or right click on their portrait and select focus from the drop down menu)

Quinafoi
04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
How I'd recommend writing your macro.

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus,help,nodead] [] Hand of Salvation

If you set your focus to hostile targets sometimes or don't have a focus set, this will skip it and follow normal Hand of Salvation targeting rules (trying to cast it on your current target). As an alternative you could also use a modifier on it.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,help,nodead] [@focus,help,nodead] [] Hand of Salvation

This will either use your focus or default targeting rules like the one above, but if you hold a modifier (alt in this case) it will override the focus part and use your current target instead. This is a little more complicated but gives you an option of overriding your focus if you decide you don't want to use it.

Destruyen
04-19-2010, 06:23 AM
#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus; modifier:alt] Hand of Salvation

will cast salv on your focus when holding down alt (or change for any modifier) and for your current target with no modifier.

Quinafoi
04-19-2010, 08:19 AM
#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus; modifier:alt] Hand of Salvation

will cast salv on your focus when holding down alt (or change for any modifier) and for your current target with no modifier.

There is no point in using a modifier on a macro with no cases. If you hold alt it will cast on your focus. If you don't hold alt it will not cast anything. So what is the point of having a modifier if it doesn't change how it functions?

The correct way to write the macro would be:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,@focus] [] Hand of Salvation
You have to include a second case, [], where the ability can at least use its default rules when the modifier isn't held. There is no point to a modifier unless it actually does something different when the modifier isn't held. If it's the only possible case it doesn't make any sense to use a modifier.