PDA

View Full Version : Tanking I am building a new Tank/DPS set...

leesdawgs
04-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I am building a new set and going for speed runs on icc trash and all other heroics and VoA stuff. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like I have scrolled down the first 15 pages on this tab in the forums and I cant find anything about this subject. I know I have seen it before on here but I just cant find it or anything pertaining to it. Here is my armory link...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Haomarush&cn=Ibroughtguns

I already have a decent Arms dps set as my offspec and dont want to respec just for trash dps pulls...I am just looking for a few tips on dpsing in my current tank spec to help out when i get into that random that everyone is at 3500gearscore and noone gets over 2200 dps except me.

Please help me...anything is better than nothing!

thx,

guns

Passive
04-16-2010, 09:32 AM
You do pretty much what you are doing, just swap out tank pieces for dps pieces while maintining a healthy amount of hit and expertise and staying crit immune. Note that you only need 535 def skill for heroics to be uncrittable, and if you used the 30 stam 15 resilience shoulder enchant you'd infact be able to go to 532. Another way to stay crit immune while dropping a lot of defense pieces is to go and get the latest pvp cloak. Not only does this have good threat stats (attack power and hit or crit), but also has the resilience to keep you crit immune at lower defense levels.

If you can afford one, Darkmoon Card: Greatness is fantastic for threat in this kind of set. Or if you could get into a ToC/ToGC 10 run and grab yourself an expertise trinket that would bring your expertise up to soft cap (which is less than 26 as the bosses are only level 82 in heroics - someone care to post the exact numbers?).

In your spec i would personally use 2/5 shield spec and 3/3 focussed rage for what you're doing. This extra rage to spam cleave/hs is very useful for damage and threat, and blocking 3% less of the time actually gives you more rage! I would spec Improved Heroic Strike in the arms tree instead of Iron Will, as Iron Will is too situational. I can however see its uses - King Ymiron in Utgarde Pinnacle for example. It is generally accepted to put the remaining 2 points into 2/5 Cruelty, but if you find you have spare points (for example why spec Improved Disciplines in a purely threat/damage orientated set up?) then you can happily put more point in Cruelty.

Your glyphs seem like the correct choice. Enchant your weapon with something like Berserking.

If you're really into it, use a Flask of Endless rage and most likely expertise food as yours is a bit low.

Thats all I can think of for now, hope it helps somewhat.

Kazeyonoma
04-16-2010, 09:40 AM
moved to HALP!

leesdawgs
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I dont really want to change my spec as I am mainspec tank and main tank in my guild...I am only doing this to help out in trash pulls up to marrowgar and for fun in heroics...

Thanks for the halp passive, I have the ocean 264 cloak from frost badges and will prob try to put that in there for some extra dps if i can figure out how to get a little more def to help me stay capped...

if anyone else has any more advice on any dps pieces that they use that would be very helpful!

thx

leesdawgs
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Just added a new ring to my tank/dps set...pls let me know if I should add anything else or just go with this...

guns

Arikak
04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Honestly, I tank in my Fury gear with a sword and shield and prot spec all the time without complaint. Most healers wouldn't know I was if I didn't always ask if they were comfortable with that choice. I can pull any where from 4-8k dps on trash. It makes an instance go by so much quicker.

So to directly answer your question: If you get about a full set of T9 badge DPS gear you'll probably be fine for speed tanking Heroics, except for ICC Heroic 5 mans. The damage can be pretty brutal in those. Just be ready to use your cool-downs if you happen to take a couple boss crits in a row. And make sure your really know the instances and each fight. Sometimes you're just best off putting the tank gear back on to avoid a potential wipe.

You're glyphs look fine. Though you could add in sunder to replace blocking for more AoE DPS goodness. Also spec into Deepwounds or out of Impale. Points in Impale or Cruelty without Deepwounds is just not worth it.

Try a spec like: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZcItrx0didfzsGo

leesdawgs
04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanx man...I just dont know if I should dip under uncrittable cause i use this same spec and gear to do all trash in ICC to help out with speed for our runs...

My account is currently getting hacked so if anyone decides to look at my armory please dont laugh at me :(