PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior tanking with DK

04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi All,

I am having an issue in ICC on Saurfang where at say half way though a fight I cannot taunt off my fellow DK tank in the party, I have also had issues where a afflication warlock has also noticed my agro is getting easier for him to overtake, any adivce please, my charatcer link is below so if I need extra gems etc please let me know :) thanks

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anachronos&cn=Cronta

Sentas
04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll overlook your armory in a second, but first this: Since the DK buff, it's harder to loose aggro as a DK, as when you see your aggro going down, you can Icy Touch/Rune Strike and you're going back up. It might not be your fault, it might just be the DK hitting Icy Touch at the same time you spam Taunt. So maybe you'd need to have a talk with him, check his rotation and such.

Edit: Just checked your armory, you seem to be 0.90% under the hit cap, which may make your taunt miss/and other moves miss @ the warlock gaining aggro.
Other than that, your other stats seem fine.

I do not have a Warrior Tank myself, well I do, but its level 42. I'm just going with what I know from my friend's warrior tank. So you might want to ask the professionals.

crashxdjp
04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Your gear/gems is fine.

Are you not attacking Saurfang when the DK taunts off of you? Make sure you put Viglance on a high threat dps. Better yet, if you're desperate, put viglance on the DK to really help you out.

Make sure you're using omen and keep up your threat just enough (when DK has the boss taunted) to not pull the boss. That way when you taunt, you have loads of threat to work with.

Also! It's the DK's responsibility to stop attacking for 1-2 secs after you taunt. The DK (or any tank) must not go full threat building after you taunt. I hate when tanks keep going full go after I taunt off of them.

Honestly it sounds like the DK isnt letting off a little bit on the threat once you taunt off. This happens all the time.

Kurtosis
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Also! It's the DK's responsibility to stop attacking for 1-2 secs after you taunt. The DK (or any tank) must not go full threat building after you taunt. I hate when tanks keep going full go after I taunt off of them.
This, especially after the 3.3.3 massive threat buff to Icy Touch. I learned that the hard way the night after 3.3.3 when we did Festergut and I accidentally pulled aggro off the Druid tank right after he taunted just using my normal rotation. Didn't notice immediately, hit 10 stacks, wiped the raid.

Learned that lesson quick though. The new Icy Touch does insane threat, so much that it's almost like a second taunt. The DK can't use it for a good 5-10s (to be safe) after you taunt off him. He's also has the option to use Glyph of Disease, which lets you reapply Frost Fever with Pestilence instead of IT, so you can save IT for when you need a quick threat boost (like right after taunting off the co-tank).

04-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the advice guys I was def getting my hit cap up as I noticed I was soft capped.

Nez
04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
If it happens again you can also check the combat log to see if your taunt missed or if he is just pulling aggro back with IT spam. There are even addons that will do a shout for you if taunts miss etc. Helps with knowing what happened. If your still "missing" a lot you can glyph for it also on the fights that really matter.
Get used to using your vigilance, I always put it on one of the high threat DPS, that does not have a threat dump, even if they are not really in danger of catching me in threat. :D

Muffin Man
04-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Edit: Just checked your armory, you seem to be 0.90% under the hit cap, which may make your taunt miss/and other moves miss @ the warlock gaining aggro.
Other than that, your other stats seem fine.

Just remember that 1% hit won't make or break this issue. Especially since taunt can still miss at 8% hit (it's on the spell table, so you'll need to glyph it to be sure). Warlocks are high threat classes in general so it's not uncommon to have problems with them, and since Affliction is a dot spec they can't always scale back when they see themselves getting high on aggro other than soul shatter which is on a long cooldown.

Just practice tightening up your rotation and vig the lock is really all you can do (or start stacking hunters and rogues). For the DK it does sound like you need more communication for when you switch off on taunts.

anonim
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Honestly I don't think it's your fault, I am a dk tank and almost all the time when me and another tank go for a raid I need to "hold back" so I don't take his ago.

When we go in I usually hug the other tank and give him a head start so he can build some threat since if i do press IT in the 1st 5 secs I take the raid off him.

My main problem when me and another tank have to switch is that I always have to stop using anything other than normal attacks and throw in a BS from time to time to keep my barrier up.

Prolly your dk friend is still going all out on the raid when you do the swap and that's why you can't hold him on you.

Tell him to only normal attack when the swap is made and only use BS to keep his barrier up when he needs to and also to let you build some thread before refreshing his frost fever on the raid when it is on you.