PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Threat issues

Reign
04-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Hello, iv been tanking on my paladin for quite some time now, and have never had any threat issues, until just recently. some people i have been talking to say its my hit, witch i know is kinda low, but i was always told, hit isn't super important for tanks, i know i need some, but do i NEED to be hit capped? and what else might be causeing my threat issues?

here is my armory, thanks :)
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Garona&cn=Reign

-REIGN

Dreadski
04-11-2010, 05:19 AM
You are completely fine on hit, and I *think* your spec is ok (I play warrior). What is your rotation like? I think perhaps if that was tweaked you could switch out that glove enchant for 18 stam or 240 armor.

Fayre
04-11-2010, 06:53 AM
I would definitely point the finger at your rotation. Make sure you fully understand the 96969 stuff.

Also check out the number of MDs and ToTT you're getting - there should be no issues for threat if you're getting those on cooldown like you should be.

Dreadski
04-11-2010, 07:24 AM
I would definitely point the finger at your rotation. Make sure you fully understand the 96969 stuff.

Also check out the number of MDs and ToTT you're getting - there should be no issues for threat if you're getting those on cooldown like you should be.

Disagree, should only need them at the start to ensure dodges/parries/misses are accounted for in the beginning and so that DPS can go balls to the wall. Afterwards it should be rotation that keeps your tps up.

Harmacy
04-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Your spec is good. I would actually recommend speccing into Seal of Command instead of Conviction, just for the ease of add tanking and heroics and stuff, but that's totally optional - if you're having sustained threat issues, the 1% crit may be better.

In fact, if you're having major threat issues you could spec out of Pursuit of Justice to get 2% more crit, and then just use the Tuskarr's boot enchant (8% move speed is OK, 15 is better obviously but it'll do). I would only do this as a last resort though, PoJ is extremely nice.

No Divine Plea glyph? 3% mitigation should be your first choice for a glyph, definitely replace HotR or RD glyph with that. A decent option is the Judgement glyph to replace HotR or RD as well.

Hit is not crucial to a raiding Paladin tank. Expertise, contrary to popular opinion, is our #1 threat stat up until the 26 mark - you're at 24 glyphed, which means you need to seek out a little more. I would suggest getting the Cataclysmic Chestguard from Frost badges next - not only would it give you a ton of threat from Expertise and Strength, but it also has lots of armor for more EH.

Also, replace the Blade Ward enchant, which is crap for a Paladin. Mongoose not only provides a fair amount more avoidance, but is significantly better for threat because of all the crit and haste.

But really, I only see minor issues with your armory (threat-wise - not using the Divine Plea glyph is major, though it doesn't relate to threat). Check and make sure you're doing the 96969 rotation properly. Also, make sure to save your wings until you already have a 5-stack on the boss - that extra 33% weapon damage does generate a significant amount of threat.

Reign
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
for my 969 i have been using HoR-HS-SoR-Judge-HoR-Consecration-and so on
is that wrong?