PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Pillars of might?

Pmerkin
04-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm really not sure where to go next, I could make the pillars of might but my def would take a big hit and I think in the end it wouldn't be beneficial. Where do I go from here? Just keep running ICC 10 and try to get into 25's?

http://www.armory-light.com/us/Ysera/Pmerkin/#

Metasynaptic
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
The only leg armour better than Pillars of Might is in heroic ICC25, from Heroic Marrowgar, or by getting Heroic upgraded tier 10 legs.

As you said, if you do you'll take a defense hit and probably drop under 540.

If you are running ICC25, you could be in with a chance to get the boots from heroic Valithria Dreamwalker. If you get those, you could upgrade yoru Upheavals to boots with defense, opening the door for the Pillars of Might.

Dragaan
04-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Pillars of might are better than the 277 legs off of heroic marrowgar and the 277 t10 legs for surviving physical damage (the brunt of incoming tank damage), making them the best legs in the game for that purpose. They are a must for anyone serious about tanking in ICC, imo.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Pillars of might are better than the 277 legs off of heroic marrowgar and the 277 t10 legs for surviving physical damage (the brunt of incoming tank damage), making them the best legs in the game for that purpose. They are a must for anyone serious about tanking in ICC, imo.

This. There are no better legs in the game. Get them and you will never need another leg slot drop (unless some bonus armor piece drops in ruby sanctum, but that patch isn't out yet).

Pmerkin
04-07-2010, 05:21 AM
So let's say i go ahead and get them. Any advice on how to best reach 540 defense again?

Destruyen
04-07-2010, 05:25 AM
well, you only need 536 defense to be crit immune if you wear the 30 stam/15 resil shoulder chant available for 10k honor.

if you still can't hit that, go with the +16 def cloak chant.

Skaggi
04-07-2010, 05:46 AM
well, you only need 536 defense to be crit immune if you wear the 30 stam/15 resil shoulder chant available for 10k honor.

if you still can't hit that, go with the +16 def cloak chant.

Almost. Get armor on cloak and instead use def on shield.

Cheers!
skaggi

bluntobject
04-07-2010, 06:32 AM
You can also enchant your chest for +def if you are still needing some def. If you don't get the pillars you might want to look into re-gemming those pants as well.

Pmerkin
04-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I have a couple more questions, is crit immune 536 only if you have the 30stam/15 resil shoulder enchant? Otherwise it's 540. I don't think i have enough honor for that enchant.

So i played around with gemming to try and hit 540 http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21152921

when compared to my current gear http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.ysera.pmerkin

it appears to me I drop in agility, hit and stamina but gain strength dodge and parry

Would you recommend this set up? Or suggest any changes when i get the pillars of might?

Thanks to all for the great advice!

Frenzy165
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
My only problem with the Pillars is that i need to maintain expertise. I'm at 26 now. If i drop my t10 legs for them, i'll drop down to about 16 expertise. For a DK, this could have a severe negative impact on my threat.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 07:08 AM
You don't need expertise. It's nice, but it's not required. If you ARE having problems with threat, expertise won't help you, it means someone is doing something wrong, whether it's you, the DPS or whatever.

Frenzy165
04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
No, i'm not having problems with threat, for the most part. There are a few raid members i would like to smack occasionally, but nothing major. Of course, then we are looking at the problem of 8 saronite. That's a separate discussion.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
8k gold, done. When I had mine made it was closer to 15k.

Frenzy165
04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
must be nice to be on a server with a normal economy. They are still up at about 2k on my server, which has the worst economy. ever.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
If things are that expensive it should be cake getting the money together.

Frenzy165
04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
im not sure of the correlation...

bluntobject
04-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I played with your wowhead build.

Enchant changes:
+22 def to chest
Res + Stam to shoulders -10k armor is super easy to farm up these days, you may have enough Stone keeper shards for it, 150 is all that you need.

Gems:
All gems should be +30 to stam except
Agi + Stam in chest red socket (for meta)
+20 Res in feet yellow socket - I'm really not sure how the tanking community as a whole feels about gemming Res, but this will get over the uncrit cap and let you keep wearing your Pillars of Might.

Another option would be to save badges for the Cataclysmic Chestguard or get the chest off Lady Deathwhisper-10, It looks like your gear is going to have a hard time supporting two main pieces with no defense (chest and legs). The build I suggested above will not be able to use the Gargoyle Spit Bracers when you get them and at that point will require some more tooling with your gear.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
im not sure of the correlation...

I can see that. Oh well.

Loganisis
04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a couple more questions, is crit immune 536 only if you have the 30stam/15 resil shoulder enchant? Otherwise it's 540. I don't think i have enough honor for that enchant.

Do you have 150 stonekeeper's shards? If so you have enough honor. Buy the honor commendations (2k honor) for 30 stonekeepers in WG.

gacktt
04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
You will have ridiculous amounts of defense later on as you get geared up(580-600+), so don't worry about it. I am still going to use 277 marrow pants over pillars. If only because it hit caps me and it's free.

Frenzy165
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I can see that. Oh well.

Cute.. some kind of veiled insult because i don't see how things i DON'T have being expensive makes it easier for me to gather the money to buy said things i DON'T have. Regardless, i don't do the ah, and i barely do dailies. I have my nest egg stashed away for when i need it. I'll just wait for the next couple to drop for the guild and buy them when we distribute the lot. Not like another 2k armor when i'm already way up will cause some miraculous save. My t10 currently work quite well, not like i'm falling over at the first sign of a boss.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Cute.. some kind of veiled insult because i don't see how things i DON'T have being expensive makes it easier for me to gather the money to buy said things i DON'T have. Regardless, i don't do the ah, and i barely do dailies. I have my nest egg stashed away for when i need it. I'll just wait for the next couple to drop for the guild and buy them when we distribute the lot. Not like another 2k armor when i'm already way up will cause some miraculous save. My t10 currently work quite well, not like i'm falling over at the first sign of a boss.

Not an insult at all. And you don't need to play the ah or do dailies? There's plenty of easy cheap things to craft and sell from any profession it just takes a couple minutes on google.

Pmerkin
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I played with your wowhead build.

Enchant changes:
+22 def to chest
Res + Stam to shoulders -10k armor is super easy to farm up these days, you may have enough Stone keeper shards for it, 150 is all that you need.

Gems:
All gems should be +30 to stam except
Agi + Stam in chest red socket (for meta)
+20 Res in feet yellow socket - I'm really not sure how the tanking community as a whole feels about gemming Res, but this will get over the uncrit cap and let you keep wearing your Pillars of Might.

Another option would be to save badges for the Cataclysmic Chestguard or get the chest off Lady Deathwhisper-10, It looks like your gear is going to have a hard time supporting two main pieces with no defense (chest and legs). The build I suggested above will not be able to use the Gargoyle Spit Bracers when you get them and at that point will require some more tooling with your gear.

This is the first I've read anything about the effect of Res on uncrit caps. How does that work exactly? Can you point me in the direction to get more information on this? Again, thanks for the helpful info and time spent helping me out.

Dreadski
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
This is the first I've read anything about the effect of Res on uncrit caps. How does that work exactly? Can you point me in the direction to get more information on this? Again, thanks for the helpful info and time spent helping me out.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Resilience

Every 4 points of resilience skill is -.1% chance to be crit, works in PVP and PVE, the only thing that doesn't work in PVE is the damage reduction. If you have 15 resilience rating from the shoulder enchant, you have 16 skill which = .4% chance to not be crit. Add that to 536 defense skill which is around 5.2% chance IIRC, then add the .4% making it 5.6 which is the minimum needed to not be crit by a level 83 mob.