PDA

View Full Version : Tanking bear threat =/

eekee
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
okay I've never done this before but as of late it seems harder and harder for me to get threat and keep a steady hold on it.
how i pull verys on what I'm pulling be it aoe/single/melee or casters (damn i hate casters...)
but basicly i want to know what others use for their rotation, single target i guess
(aoe i hold my own fair enuff in to not worry to much)

myself on an avg, i open with FF charge in mangle lacerate x about 3 FF mangle demo roar lacerate more keep mangle and FF on CD lacerate up and swipe when able to
(keeping in mind lacerate and swipe are macroed in with maul)

idk if there's something I'm missing... i haven't done look ups on bears in a long time so what i got for stats i thought where rather accepable (tho I'm short like .55% hit) that shouldn't make that big a diff

if anyone does something else please please feel free to comment I'm kinda at the last of my ropes and being told my threat sucks cause I'm a girl is NOT something i want around even tho i out tank many people, i just wanna be the best i can be =(

GŁth
04-06-2010, 06:04 PM
keeping in mind lacerate and swipe are macroed in with maul

That was the only thing that struck me as strange. You're not trying to use Lacerate and Swipe at the same time with one press of Maul, are you?

Example:

/cast Maul
/cast Lacerate
/cast Swipe

If that's the macro (or some similar variation) you're trying to use, it will not use Lacerate and Swipe as they both require a global cool down to use. It may use one, most likely the ability listed second, but not the third unless you use a shift modifier.

Terpene
04-07-2010, 12:13 AM
What are you running currently? Are you 80? Doing Heroics or Raiding? All of this has an effect.

Personally I don't think macroing maul to your other abilities is the way to go - unless you're in a raid situation it is easy to get rage starved that way. However, other people seem to have no problem with the abilities macro'd together. Regardless, your maul macros should look like this (substituting the ability names where appropriate):

---------------------------

#showtooltip lacerate
/cast !maul
/cast lacerate

---------------------------

Other than that - in packs, switching targets and swipe are your friends. I find I lose mobs most often when I get lacerate happy. Also, you don't need to charge right away (it might be taking away form your initial TPS by using some of your rage) - I use it most often on packs with split casters; group up the mele mobs on one caster and occasionally charge the other caster, so you can keep aggro on both (friggen casters...).

Finally, I reccomend the addon Tidy Plates. There is a threat bar widget that lets you seen which of the mobs needs your attention the most. I suggest this over tab-target switching as it is more precise.

eekee
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
no no no
they are not all three together but two different macros
one for lacerate the other for maul

eekee
04-07-2010, 02:40 AM
sorry i didnt see your post after your other and 5m tanking is not my problem its single target threat for long fights
macros i know how to do and have no problem with rage.
i am 80 and have been a tank for a lil over a yr now, but it seems lately its harder and harder for me to hold agro for long periods on single targer raid fights. im wondering if i need to try a new rotation or something to keep up with times in the up rise in dps =/ they see to get so many buffs to increase their dps but i get no buffs to increase my threat lol

other then that i am a fair good tank (i would hope to think)

Skaggi
04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Could you possibly specify the situation where you have threat issues a little more. Is it always with certain classes for example? Is it always after a certain amount of time? Is it always on certain bosses?

All those dps buffs you're mentioning are also affecting your own dps and by that your threat. From my experience bears simply have no threat issues at all at the moment. It's more like other tanks have issues with bears pulling something off them.

Cheers!
skaggi

Darksend
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.tankspot.com/article.php?id=113807#threat

Halrloprillalar
04-07-2010, 11:24 AM
sorry i didnt see your post after your other and 5m tanking is not my problem its single target threat for long fights
macros i know how to do and have no problem with rage.
i am 80 and have been a tank for a lil over a yr now, but it seems lately its harder and harder for me to hold agro for long periods on single targer raid fights. im wondering if i need to try a new rotation or something to keep up with times in the up rise in dps =/ they see to get so many buffs to increase their dps but i get no buffs to increase my threat lol

other then that i am a fair good tank (i would hope to think)

Imp Mangle is an all or none talent, I recommend moving a point to fill it out. Also get the glyph of mangle (replace SI glyph, if you are dying without it there's a bigger issue IMO) .
Try to get your 4pc T10 and fill out KoTJ, you can lose a point or both in primal precision (your exp is fairly high, shouldn't suffer much) and OoC which isn't needed for tanking ICC since rage isn't an issue. If you have a prot war, frost dk or prot pally specced into JotJ you can spec out of IW instead. Overall these are minor changes and shouldn't affect your threat that greatly - I'd recommend getting a weapon upgrade but other than that you shouldn't be having issues except against highly superior-geared dps. Just have them get a salv if they have no innate threat drops.
Any raid buff that increases your dps (might, kings, windfury, HoW, Imp. ret aura, sunders) will also increase your TPS. Oh yea and TidyPlates/Threat plates is prob. the best tanking addon of all time (besides maybe Omen?).

hope that helps.

felhoof
04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
What weapon do you have?

eekee
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
ty halrl <3

yes i hate my weapon im trying to get an upgrade but since im not a main raider anymore cause of RL happening im trying to upgrade threw pugs and other means. grateful for the buff for 10% makes it easier for pugs lol. untill then im working on getting the 1800 staff from pvp. its a upgrade to what ive had for a long while and this summer want to get back into raiding so ive been trying to upgrade where i can ^^-