PDA

View Full Version : rotface question

ironoar
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
hello all i have a quick question on the rotface incounter
we use 2 prot warriors for our 10 man icc raid and no hunters.
any suggestions on how to kite the big slimes and hold agro on big slimes?
If the tanks vigilance each other that will keep up taunts but is that enough agro?
has anyone completed this encounter useing 2 prot warriors?
im open to suggestions as long as there not to pickup a different ot. ty

Kloon
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
A prot warrior is very sad to kite the oozes and i'm no expert on a prot warrior, but don't they have some ranged abilities like Heroic Throw? or maybe they can shoot with their bow/gun or throw with their thrown weapon.

Another way could be with either shockwave of thunderclap depending on their range, because lets say that the ooze melees you within 5 yards and thunderclap reaches all enemies within 10 yards, I don't know if thats how it works, but worth a try.

Another thing, just after two small oozes merge together, there is 2-3 seconds where it just sits so you can get off a high aggro attack and run away.

Schmevan
04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
it is almost physically impossible for a druid or warrior to kite the big ooze. I've seen paladins even have trouble. Only classes I've seen especially good at it are DKs (dnd ftw) and hunters (best kiters ftw). And you can't vigilance the other tank because you are going to need that to be on the healer(s) because they WILL getting healing aggro on the big ooze. I'm not saying pick up a differnt OT, I'm just saying this is going to be very very difficult for you. If you have a non-tank dk in your raid he/she can still kite the ooze, just use frost presence, icy touch, and dnd, and you will have no threat issues, just like the hunters kiting it though you go squish if it touches you, so you have to be perfect. As for a warrior trying to kite it the post above seems like the best bet, though concievably you could charge in, shield wall, shield block, shield slam, and run, using shockwave whenever it is up. That MAY work but if you get an ooze in the group you are going to wipe every time.

bling581
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
im open to suggestions as long as there not to pickup a different ot. ty
What is your current group makeup? If you can, have the OT swap to dps instead of picking up a new person and having someone else in the group OT. A DK or Ret Paladin in tank or pvp gear would do the job. All you need is someone with higher stam that can survive the ooze floods and Rotface spew easier that can keep ranged threat on the ooze. If by pure luck one of the warriors is an Engineer they could use bombs and hand rockets to get ranged threat.

The best thing to do would be trying it first to see if there's problems. I don't know the range on thunderclap or shockwave but if it's short I wouldn't risk getting too close. If both tanks Vig each other the ooze might go taunt immune if that's all you're gonna do to keep threat. The only people that would possibly pull aggro is healers, but I think between heroic throw, using Thunderclap/Shockwave as they spawn might be enough. I've also heard that Commanding Shout provides healing threat. The only problem with all this is that they're not going to have much rage if they're not being hit or dealing damage. Blood Rage wouldn't supply enough rage to consistently use all of these abilities.

Onyxstar
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
it is almost physically impossible for a druid or warrior to kite the big ooze.

This depends on the skill - yes, it may be harder, but I would disagree as every kill we've had on 25 has been with a bear OT.

Back to the original poster, if the issue is oozes, is it specifically with the big ooze? do you have a good kite pattern (my OT regularly tells our raiders to do a drive by next to the big ooze unless it's the first set to form "big ooze"). He also makes sure the raid understands they just need to go to that outer ring mark (this saves random raid members from being caught in slime floods).

Duvon
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
As a warrior tank, I've consistently kited teh big ooze succesfully.
It's not very hard at all, as long as you:
1. Shieldblock-slam newly formed Big ooze (they dont go active until you're out of range again, if you're quick)
2. Use demoshout and thunderclap as a range-checkers; ideally, you want to be inside of demo-shout range, but outside of thunderclap except when applying the TC, and when you're about to run through slime you also want a headstart.
3. Shockwave and thunderclap liberally. Aggro nor survival will be NP, as long as you don't get hit more than once at a time.
4. SAVE HEROIC THROW!!!!! You will need it if some clumsy bum spawns a second big ooze. If this happens, taunt it, Heroic throw, and try to merge it with your current one. If it's far behind the main-ooze, make the kiting-circle smaller until they merge.

Vree
07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
As a warrior tank, I've consistently kited teh big ooze succesfully.
It's not very hard at all, as long as you:
1. Shieldblock-slam newly formed Big ooze (they dont go active until you're out of range again, if you're quick)
2. Use demoshout and thunderclap as a range-checkers; ideally, you want to be inside of demo-shout range, but outside of thunderclap except when applying the TC, and when you're about to run through slime you also want a headstart.
3. Shockwave and thunderclap liberally. Aggro nor survival will be NP, as long as you don't get hit more than once at a time.
4. SAVE HEROIC THROW!!!!! You will need it if some clumsy bum spawns a second big ooze. If this happens, taunt it, Heroic throw, and try to merge it with your current one. If it's far behind the main-ooze, make the kiting-circle smaller until they merge.

QFT
I would also add, that I put Vigilance on the top-threat healer. Usually the opening Shield Slam, and regular re-application of Thunder Clap are enough. My silver bullet was figuring out that the outer edge of Thunder clap will hit the slime without getting in its lethal 'melee+' range.

Also, remember, you don't have to kite it forever - only until it explodes. Ironically, it actually means that aggro gets a bit easier as the fight progresses, because they explode sooner. If you see a second one spawn, quickly Charge+Shield Slam, and immediately kite away. TC both of your slimes, and weapon throw if someone rides up their threat.

If you have to kite through a big goo lake, save yourself some health and Intervene to another person on the other side.

I haven't tried MT tank-vigilance, I suspect it would be kinda dangerous. Your taunt is a last resort here - I've seen the slime turn and insta-kill a healer in less time that it takes for me to put my finger on the 'taunt' button.

Bocek
07-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Why would think it is impossible for a druid? FF ftw, its more than enough to stay above the healers.

Done it as both a prot warrior and a druid. Like everyone above, just shield stam & shockwave the big ooze when it first forms & vig a healer. Thats is pretty much all it needs. If healers are catching up on threat use TC & Demo Shout as well. I found that they were not needed. Save your taunt / heroic throw for the others who fail at running and joining oozes and you get 2 big oozes.

uglybbtoo
07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
it is almost physically impossible for a druid or warrior to kite the big ooze. I've seen paladins even have trouble. Only classes I've seen especially good at it are DKs (dnd ftw) and hunters (best kiters ftw). And you can't vigilance the other tank because you are going to need that to be on the healer(s) because they WILL getting healing aggro on the big ooze. I'm not saying pick up a differnt OT, I'm just saying this is going to be very very difficult for you. If you have a non-tank dk in your raid he/she can still kite the ooze, just use frost presence, icy touch, and dnd, and you will have no threat issues, just like the hunters kiting it though you go squish if it touches you, so you have to be perfect. As for a warrior trying to kite it the post above seems like the best bet, though concievably you could charge in, shield wall, shield block, shield slam, and run, using shockwave whenever it is up. That MAY work but if you get an ooze in the group you are going to wipe every time.

ROFL ... I along with everyone else here agree most stupid comment in ages. Guess we have been doing what you can't for weeks.

I play all 4 tanks so here is my actual how to .. and pluses of each class

Warrior -> Heroic toss and it's completely tauntable if you lose control of it you should be DPS as you cant tank. You can also shockwave
it if you know what you are doing. Vigilance on the highest healer.

Pluses for warrior is if they need to get across the green slime pool in a hurry they can intervene a raid member on other side.

Pally -> Shield toss, 2 taunts and drop consecrate and drag slime over it.

Plus for pally is hand of freedom enables you to run thru slime puddles if needed. Can cleanse people coming over themselves.

Druid -> FF as stated and taunt you can switch up to caster and cast at it if needed.

Plus is speedy cat form with swifto if needed to cross the slime.

Dk -> D&D, death coil, IT, taunts .. easy to hold

Not sure if Anti magic bubble works on slime .. never done it

Blacksen
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
it is almost physically impossible for a druid or warrior to kite the big ooze. Definitely not impossible for either class.

For a Druid, it's not that hard at all. In fact, it's very easy. Faerie Fire spam is more than enough to keep an ooze off the healers. If you're really struggling, you can also switch to caster form and throw up Moonfire.

For a Warrior, you need to make sure that you have Vigilance on the highest healer (paladin or Shaman). Use Heroic Toss after you've started kiting it. You can also use Shockwave to keep threat from range, but you need to be careful. If one of the healers does get close on threat, you can intervene to them to drop their threat by 10%.

Theotherone
07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I've seen paladins even have trouble. Only classes I've seen especially good at it are DKs (dnd ftw) and hunters (best kiters ftw).

I've done it on my DK and Pally and you're right, DK (espeically in Frost with HB) makes it so easy. I've seen a warrior do it once, and I was on my hunter tossing an MD every now and then. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Loganisis
07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
It's definately feasible on a warrior, I stink at kiting and just succeeded last week (I'm usually MT for Rot, but we are looking for an OT right now so we had a 'make-do' OT on Rotface since it's pretty easy).

The trick is Vig on the highest output healer and then learning how to stay at max TC range while spamming it, every so often turning back for SW. Never though of Demo shout. Doesn't usually click as a threat-builder in my head, will have to start with that.

It's tricky, but it's definately possible.

Kitting clockwise while those with the small ooze run counter-clockwise means you never have to go more than 1/2 a circuit to merge them except when that DPS doesn't pay attention and runs the same way as you, excatly 1/2 a lap ahead of you..... grrrrrr....

Martie
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
The ooze moves very slowly. I saw a warrior tank it once without issue.
He claimed that shockwave and thunderclap give good initial aggro, and when the ooze is casting stuff, you can get in melee range without being gibbed.
It also moves slow enough to be able to shoot at it, though I don't think he ever used that.

Loganisis
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
The ooze moves very slowly. I saw a warrior tank it once without issue.
He claimed that shockwave and thunderclap give good initial aggro, and when the ooze is casting stuff, you can get in melee range without being gibbed.
It also moves slow enough to be able to shoot at it, though I don't think he ever used that.

Maybe throw at it. Guns have a longer cast time than throwing weps. It does move slow, but not that slow, if you're getting out that far ahead you're not hitting it with TC enough. SW is the aggro grabber for sure, then TC to keep it up. After about the 3rd TC you really don't need to worry about aggro any more unless someone does something... well... not smart.

And TBH - if you're throwing/shooting at it, you're bored. The threat from that little 200 damage throw wep or gun (okay, it's *slightly* more than that) is probably akin to a healer mooning the big ooze.

uglybbtoo
07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Serious agro is a none the issue it's totally tauntable anyhow and you can just taunt and heroic toss again. The real issue usually is getting stuck in slime and it catching you resulting in your death.

The real issue for me with a hunter kiting it hell it could be a mage boomy anyone really is that its a massive DPS loss unless your warrior tank had a really good dps offspec.

In 25 man it prob wouldnt make huge diff but in 10 man the longer this fight goes on the messier it gets. Why would you waste a good dps like a hunter to do a kiting job?

damnpatch
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever read on Tankspot.

Back to the OP.... here's how I do it.
Ooze 1:
Pop shieldwall right before the first Big Ooze spawns, then shield block + shield slam, run away. With vigilance on a healer that's about all you will need to do, but I equip my throwing weapon and throw at him from max range for grins. Basically run away, spam your throw button till he comes in range and you can throw, then run away again. The gun seems a bit slow for it, but that's almost assuredly how used to the timing I am with the Blades.

Ooze 2: Last Stand and Enraged Regen, repeat step 1

Save your Heroic Throw for the inevitable second / loose Big Ooze.

I never even bother guessing at ranges for things like TClap or SW, stay at max distance.

Fledern
08-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Pop shieldwall right before the first Big Ooze spawns, then shield block + shield slam, run away.

I disagree. A newly formed big ooze doesnt hit very hard. You can even stand in melee range and smack it a few times before your hp starts dropping. Basically i stand there building threat until my hp loss is about one big pala heal then i move out. Use warrior mobility to get out of range, shockwave to keep aggro.

You might lose aggro towards the end, like 4 ooze stacks. Normally, if you maintain a large enough kiting circle, taunting then will give you enough time for the ooze to reach 5 stacks & explode. If it really goes south around that time, then you can go into melee while popping those big cooldowns (shield wall & last stand) that you saved for this purpose.

TLDR:
- Melee at start. Minimal healing requirements wont make your healers sad
- Use shockwave to kite
- Use taunt towards the end when you lose aggro
- Use Shield Wall & Last stand as last ditch melee aggro crutches
- Save Heroic Throw for picking up a 2nd ooze or as another 4 stack crutch.

I've kited oozes on my dk, warrior & paladin. Dk kiting is sooooooooooooo eazy, icy touch & deathcoil spam ftw. Pala is tricky (need to time those consecrates well) but otherwise easy with a ton of backups, warrior is probably the hardest. Havent played a druid but i'm guessing faery fire spam should work well for bears.

damnpatch
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I disagree. A newly formed big ooze doesnt hit very hard. You can even stand in melee range and smack it a few times before your hp starts dropping. Basically i stand there building threat until my hp loss is about one big pala heal then i move out. Use warrior mobility to get out of range, shockwave to keep aggro.

You might lose aggro towards the end, like 4 ooze stacks. Normally, if you maintain a large enough kiting circle, taunting then will give you enough time for the ooze to reach 5 stacks & explode. If it really goes south around that time, then you can go into melee while popping those big cooldowns (shield wall & last stand) that you saved for this purpose.

I think you're making it more difficult than it needs to be. Popping a CD at the beginning allows you to get a huge threat lead without any spike damage or stress. I would hate to rely on a taunt and perhaps CDs once he is hitting hard, at the point where you concede he is likely to lose aggro.

Also, using shockwave to kite isn't 'entry level' advice, in my opinion. It requires pretty spot on guestimation of his hit box (which is deceiving) and the range of shockwave. Sure, it's perfectly doable, but for someone having trouble kiting the add, it's flirting with disaster.

I can't speak for any of the other classes, but I've done this on my warrior dozens of times, and this is the safest, easiest way I can imagine.

YMMV, but I prefer a strat where you aren't putting unnecessary strain on anyone, flirting with unnecessary risks, or, most of all, assuming you will lose control at the most dangerous time.