PDA

View Full Version : Tanking What gem for Socket Bonus/Meta Gem Requirements

thebda
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
I have Breastplate of white knight (1Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue 12 stam bonus) and Faceplate of the Honorbound (1Meta, 1 Yellow, 12 stam bonus) and I'm going to use the 32 Stam 2% armor gem that requires a red gem. What gems should I put in to hopefully fulfill the socket bonus on the helm and the meta gem requirements? I've heard it's usually best on white knight to gem for stamina only but if someone has a different opinion please state it. I'm thinking resolute amertrine in the helm would be the best way to go (orange gem, 10 expertise, 10 defense).

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&cn=Thebda
I may not have helm equipped in armory because without gems/enchants it's worse than the one I currently have.

Kazeyonoma
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
just shove em all with 30 stam, maybe you canput a 10hit/15 stam into the helm since you're trading 3 stam for 10 hit, and find another piece of gear somewhere that has a red socket that you can shove a purple gem into. whiteknight chest is best for all 30 stam.

MellvarTank
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
^^ Truth.

You sacrifice 33 stam to get the socket bonus. Not a smart move generally.

Eisen
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
That generally (note the word generally) applies to all 3-socket items.

Even pillars of might (which give you a +12 socket bonus) only will give you 72 stam if you pick a blue/purple/green set of gems as opposed to the 90 stam from all blues. Unless you REALLY need that other stat, triple blues is best.

thebda
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I was more looking for advice on the helm gem selection. I figured it wouldn't be worth giving up the two +30 stam gems to get +12 stamina.

Binford
04-01-2010, 01:34 AM
maybe you canput a 10hit/15 stam into the helm since you're trading 3 stam for 10 hit

there is the answer already
if you want the stam socket bonus from the helm, you want stam in that yellow gem too, otherwise you could just go for a blue

Dreadski
04-01-2010, 04:22 AM
I'd probably go for def/stam before hit in ICC.

Aggathon
04-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I'd probably go for def/stam before hit in ICC.

I tend to agree with this, but not because it's ICC, just because survivability should take the front seat to threat and defense is actually the most avoidance per point of any of the ratings for warrior as I recall.

Kazeyonoma
04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I actually used a def/stam gem in that helm until I replaced it =P But so many people lately have been complaining about low hit, i figured eh, avoidance isn't phenomenal, and if you want help with threat, why not! ;P yes, green gem in helm is acceptable because you're only losing 3 stam for +10 of some yellow stat.

thebda
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
To hit the helm bonus (+12 stam) and the meta requirement I would need an orange gem. From what everyone is saying it seems like I should ignore the 12 stamina bonus and put in a purple gem that has some stamina in it and just worry about meta gem requirements (expertise/stamina to get closer to expertise cap?)

Dreadski
04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
To hit the helm bonus (+12 stam) and the meta requirement I would need an orange gem. From what everyone is saying it seems like I should ignore the 12 stamina bonus and put in a purple gem that has some stamina in it and just worry about meta gem requirements (expertise/stamina to get closer to expertise cap?)
If you're only going for the meta bonus then put a 30 stam gem in the helm and find a red socket with a decent stam bonus to fit a purple one in. Don't bother with orange gems...