PDA

View Full Version : Coffee suggestions

bling581
03-31-2010, 07:01 AM
I recently became a coffee drinker but I buy it at the BP because I don't own a coffee machine. I'm considering buying one and just wondering if there's any brands in particular that are good and any features I should get. Also any tips or suggestions on brewing coffee or what to look for when buying coffee beans? I plan on buying the gourmet coffee and not the stuff in the can.

Theotherone
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
I have a Cusinart that grinds the beans just before it brews the coffee - I've been pleased. Clean up can be a pain, but if I don't want the hassle I'll have the beans ground when I buy at Starbucks and just use it as a regular machine. I like Starbucks' coffee, I've tried others, but I think theirs has the most flavor; then again I drink my coffee black and like it strong; more European type coffee with the Arabian/African beans. However, nothing beats Kona (Hawaiian) coffee, but that's real expensive.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14873074&RN=2353

Helgi
03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
I actually still have a Mr. Coffee from the late 1980s, works great.

As for brewing coffee, if you want the most flavor then ground them right before you brew them. Like Theotherone said, cleanup can be a pain, but it'll taste the best that way. I personally get my coffee beans from a local coffee shop where I live, so I can't help you much in that department, but I have several friends that swear up and down on beans from Seattle's Best (which I think is a subset of Starbucks). I also have family from the east coast that love the beans from Dunkin' Donuts.

Swam
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
i drink tea

Aliena
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you looking for just a coffee brewer or an espresso machine? If you're looking to get an espresso machine, I can greatly recommend Saeco - especially the Odea series is very easy to handle but makes AMAZING coffee with whatever strength you want. For beans, I'd go with starbucks beans or this stuff (http://www.caftea.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=2). Starbucks beans come in different strengths and some different flavors but are really high quality and caftea has a lot of different flavors. Lastly, lavazza beans make very creamy espresso (http://www.lavazza.com/corporate/en/)

Starbucks also has the best syrups hands down if you wanna experiment. They're 7 bucks per liter bottle and no other syrup beats 'em.

Nephelai
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I recently became a coffee drinker but I buy it at the BP because I don't own a coffee machine. I'm considering buying one and just wondering if there's any brands in particular that are good and any features I should get. Also any tips or suggestions on brewing coffee or what to look for when buying coffee beans? I plan on buying the gourmet coffee and not the stuff in the can.

"I don't need you to tell me how f$%king good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys S%&T. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it."

No but seriously, I probably have the same Cusinart machine "Thoetherone" has. Its a good machine, but I agree that it can be "cleanup intensive."

Eisen
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
What I'd honestly suggest is spend some time in a coffee shop (NOT Starbucks, they're overpriced and sometimes use some cruddy beans) and try different flavors, see what you like.

My personal fondness goes out to Kenya AA or any other African blend. Kenya and Ethiopia/Eritrea grow the best beans in my view.

I agree with the rest that you should get beans as fresh as you can, grind them only on an as-needed basis, and use the grinds immediately. The flavor really changes fast after the beans are grounds.

bling581
03-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Probably just a regular coffee machine, though I'll have to look into all my options before I decide :)

Ion
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM
TBH, what machine you get doesn't matter nearly as much as grinding the beans right before you brew the coffee. Getting a stand-alone grinder works just fine and is relatively inexpensive. Make sure you get one that you can take apart and put back together relatively easily though...as mentioned, it can be a huge pain to clean if you don't. But you don't really need to do it every time, just when it builds up a bit.

bling581
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Feel free to keep posting your opinions or suggestions that haven't been made yet.

redneck6979
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Kopi Luwak coffee I think is the best when ground yourself. The biggest downside is the $350/lb price tag on it.

I drink Folgers, lol.

Theotherone
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I also have family from the east coast that love the beans from Dunkin' Donuts.

Yeah some people really like DnD coffee here in the east and, don't get me wrong it's good but I find it a bit on the weak side.

Thegreatme
04-02-2010, 04:18 PM
the cleaner the water you use, the better the coffee so if you have one of those brita filter things you can stick in your fridge they are great for that sort of stuff. as far the coffee its self goes I personally find Dallmayr coffee to me really really good. you can get it for like ~$5 per1/2 pound depending on where you buy it (my parents usually get it at TJ max I think)

http://us.dallmayr.com/index.php?&navID=12

Ponttan
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
go buy some Lövbergs lila coffe and it will all be good!

Ion
04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah some people really like DnD coffee here in the east and, don't get me wrong it's good but I find it a bit on the weak side.

Buying the piss they brew is pointless and awful...out here in LA, I have to say I've only really been impressed by groundwork coffee in hollywood...and apparently, as I found out when I went to the site to get a link, there's not one, but TWO just a few miles from where I live...within walking distance. Grats me. I'm good at life. Oh...the link: http://www.groundworkcoffee.com/cafes.html

Everything else has been fairly mediocre. I used to sort of like this local place that roasts their own, but either they got worse at it or I got pickier...I think they roast them too long now.

BruisedOoze
04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
the cleaner the water you use, the better the coffee so if you have one of those brita filter things you can stick in your fridge they are great for that sort of stuff. as far the coffee its self goes I personally find Dallmyr coffee to me really really good. you can get it for like ~$5 per1/2 pound depending on where you buy it (my parents usually get it at TJ max I think)

Yeah the water affects the taste a fair bit. However, if you don't mind the taste of your tap water (if it's an option) you may like it unfiltered.

As for coffee to try out I'd just take careful note of the coffee various cafés use, and continue to experiment. I prefer to always buy whole bean as the flavour changes after it has been ground for awhile and a certain richness seems to be lost.

bling581
04-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I haven't done this yet but one thing I've been wanting to try instead of using chocolate flavored creamer, melt a square or 2 of chocolate in my coffee cup. Personally I'd go for mint chocolate :) I'll let you know how that works out.

Eressëa
04-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd second the suggestion to start with decent water. I installed a filter on my faucet after tasting the water where I live. Bleh.

I used to work for Starbucks, and it's a great place to taste test and see what different beans taste like from different regions. Lately I've been buying their Columbian beans and getting it ground in the store (when you buy their beans you get a free cup of coffee, too). My all-time favorite kind from there is Arabian Mocha Sanani (http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=312969), but it's a little more expensive than the others and not always in stock.

I would not recommend DnD unless you like weaker coffee. I know people who do, and enjoy DnD because of that.

Kona coffee is pretty good, too.

If you're into flavored coffee, Godiva has some nice desserty ones http://www.godivacoffee.com/our_coffee.htm

Also good in coffee - a splash of Baileys, Kalhua, or a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the grounds in the brewer.

Fledern
04-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Damn you Nephelai, i logged to this thread for the explicit purpose of quoting Pulp Fiction :P

The stuff they serve you at starbucks, ie the stuff to drink, is craptastic. The unground beans they sell in packages, on the other hand, are pretty damn decent.

If you're really serious about your coffee, stay away from any & all south/middle americas beans. Kenya coffee as mentioned is one of the best but it's got a very strong flavor that you'd do best to enjoy raw (ie no creamer stuff). Arabica coffee is quite bitter and enjoying that is a developed taste.

As for the machine, paper filters bring about the best taste. But the whole thing is very messy. If your taste buds arent super developed go for a filter system that's easily cleanable without making a mess.

Bung
05-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Coffee is really bad for your stomach. limit it to 1 cup per day or quit imo. lol