PDA

View Full Version : Tank training

Swam
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
OK this is a just for fun thread aimed at giving tanks challenges. Set in heroics or wherever The goal im aiming for here is tasks in tanking that sharpen and hone tanking skills.

For example: Kiting: chain pulling: mob control: caster control: etc

Ways of doing pulls or multiple pulls or bosses in different ways that improve skills and challenge your tanking skills.

For example: Threat and control:
Halls of Lightning. Run with 2 tanks and race to bosses. your goal, to pull as many mobs as you can without loosing aggro or dieing. Leapfrog pulls so that you do not stop the entire instance. If you have a decent healer you can pull the entire instance non stop.

Kiting: This can be done in almost any instance. To improve kiting skill you simply are not allowed to stop moving. every pull, every boss. you must be in motion at all times when fighting. this will require you to pay attention to your surroundings so you dont run out of room or pull extra mobs.

Anyone else want to throw up tanking challenges or games I will take them all on and encourage others to do the same.

Bodasafa
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Try this for fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-sACzzmIs

To up the ante, we went back, 2 of us with 3 pugs and cleared the trash to the last boss while I was tanking Drek. We also attempted to kill the last boss first, however Drek died to splash before then..

The hunter and kitty druid were the friends of mine from an old guild. They both recently quit playing, I miss them already...

Swam
03-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Now that is awesome, Im thinking of trying other multi boss adventures.

Bodasafa
03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
One we had on the slate before they quit playing was Mind Controlled Mushrooms!!

Go into old kingdom and pull the mushroom boss to the last boss... and kill the last boss first! Not sure if it would work but sounds fun...

Eravian
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
As simple as it seems, have a tank duel against a healer that just continually runs, healing themselves. They'll have to learn all sorts of moves they never knew they had.

Prucilak
03-27-2010, 05:33 AM
One of my guildies is always giving me a "Skills Challenge." Of sorts.

Kite Patchwork across Frogger, while maintaining aggro. Several times.

Same night I took Grobb all the way to gluth, up the pipe and all.

Nthre
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Its fun to do that crazy stuff in heroics, when you are brutaly overgeared doing it normal way its little boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ28CCRKry4

Zaitochi
03-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I've had one guy in my class do this, he is a feral tank btw. But what in one heroic run he told the DK to stay in Frost presence and the Pally to use RF and he was going to see if he could hold aggro from both of them for the whole instance. :)

Krays
04-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Hmm yeah I hate to spoil the fun :P but the problem is newish tanks will see this and try it also, and make a mess out of it, completley. So many times in my HC pugs i see conquest badged or blue geared tanks chain pulling or running through packs, trying to be pro, but fail at it badly, they cant hold threat on anything, and wont check where healer is , and will quite often also die from running on too far ahead from healer. They wont even tell anyone what they are doing . They need to get better by just doing the dungeons normally , without messing that up first imo.

The worst offender i seen of this was a DK tank. He was all in blues , maybe one ilevel epic, and maybe one other epic of higher ilevel that allowed him to que up (oh his weapons would have been high ilevel epics, or should i say weapon ....). He had on one Nightime(1 hander), how he got that I have no idea, nothing in his offhand, rest alll blues.

Somehow he eneded up in My HC Forge of souls run. before i have even properely zoned in i see a nightelf running off in the distance. I assume ok will be a pro tank , that gonna make it a fast run. Boy was i wrong. I wont go in to full detail but he was terrible, he would die ofetn, couldnt hold threat ran of alone great distances without checking where healer is, and lastly he started swearing at the healer cause he died at that ghost that does massive aoe before last boss. He started going on about how he was a pro and and likes torun through fast, but the healer was completley oom, from trying to keep this jerk up, and i was all tricksed out from trying to keep aggro on this bufoon. On that first boss he kept moving the boss around the room for some reason, doing eff all tps, even after i kiled corrupted soul he moved around... On last boss he didnt move at all and stood in that purple stuff. You could hear the noise quite clrealy of his soul being ripped from his flesh, the healer i dunno how somehow managing to keep the guy up through all that all (maybe cause i was kicking phantom blasts too), but then he of he eventually died, and I killed boss through evasion, from which he started swearing at the healer again...

woodyman
04-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Hor hc with a bunch of retards.....thats challanging for any tank :)