PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Player Burnout

Ciderhelm
03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
EVrIZq3niMo

http://www.tankspot.com/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

vhaarr
03-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Do you read the comments to these threads?
Like I posted on the last weekly marmot, "Is Cataclysm Making Warcraft Easy?", you must have changed some encoder settings, because the sound is no longer working while playing them with gmplayer (ffmpeg/mplayer) on linux.

All previous weekly marmots have worked, and still work, fine. On these last two there is no sound.

Ervanna
03-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Awesome as always. Minor thing, it's listed as episode 21 on the premium page.

Mangea
03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
A pretty good way of preventing burnout is rotating people through roles and spots. Have your tank go dps or your dps be a healer for a bit if they need a change of pace, or if they're tired of raiding in general, swap them out for a few raids until their batteries recharge.

Jaen
03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
We have this happening (again) atm.
GM and wife (co-gms) just vanish with no notice. :(
The rest of us are left to try to keep things moving because everyone else still really wants to raid. However, only the GM has guild invite ability and Vent admin.
It is upsetting some of the best members to the point that they will likely find new guilds soon. Argh!
We were working on Lich King, too. /sadpanda

Darksend
03-26-2010, 12:23 AM
TIME OFF!!!!

With the current schedule for ICC we clear 10 if not all 11 of the hard modes in 25 man ON TUESDAY NIGHT! a few weeks from now with the 10 and eventually the 30% buffs we will be clearing every single fight in hard mode in a single night. Top guilds clear stuff so much faster when it is on farm that some guilds might take a 5 day a week raid schedule to clear 25 normal LK the first time even with the 30% buff. That time off towards the end of progression cycles is vital to keeping raiders happy and healthy. It is also part of the reason top guilds have such little turn-over. Players know that the time will come before the next raid content patch that they will only raid 1-2 nights a week. During ulduar we had an app leave on his own because "we did not raid enough" simply because all of ulduar 25 man with everything except 0 watcher yogg took 1 night, even for as physically long the instance was.

<Insert wow is to easy joke> No, this is not proof that wow is to easy. Back in sunwell we killed KJ well before even the first muru nerf went in (not counting the pushback one) and after the first time we killed him we killed all of BT and sunwell in 2 nights the following week (people did hyjal after sunwell came out?)

Funny thing, what do most people do with the days off? Level alts and raid with them the other 5 days of the week, but ya know what its an alt and its not as tedious because most likely you will be playing a different role which helps A LOT, but also just the pressure of a main raid vs an alt raid is such that it can be much more enjoyable.

also, lore's face on a 46 inch tv screen is creepy. (I JUST HAPPENED TO BE WATCHING HULU RIGHT NOW WHEN I DECIDED TO WATCH THIS jesh people)

Ulushnar
03-26-2010, 01:14 AM
What the feck is going on with that shirt?

Lore
03-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Do you read the comments to these threads?
Like I posted on the last weekly marmot, "Is Cataclysm Making Warcraft Easy?", you must have changed some encoder settings, because the sound is no longer working while playing them with gmplayer (ffmpeg/mplayer) on linux.

All previous weekly marmots have worked, and still work, fine. On these last two there is no sound.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I will double check some settings and see what I can find.

What the feck is going on with that shirt?

My shirt is awesome!

Ayeree
03-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Pretty sure your shirt is a war crime under the Geneva Convention, Lore.

Yggdrasil
03-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Burn out is one of those things I have pretty much accepted as part of progression. Some people cannot stand wiping while others cannot stand clearing farm bosses over and over. Like you said Lore something that you cannot really help. But the ones I cannot really stand are the drifters. You know the people that stop raiding and then 2 months later are dropping you a PM on the forums about "Hey my secret mission with the CIA is over and I can get back to raiding with you guys now!!" and of course this almost always happens right after you managed to find a suitable replacement, equipped them, and broken them of all which is unguildly for your squad. Then of course you have 2 camps of people that either want the guy back or are shooting him the middle finger for bailing in the first place.

Man.. I really don't like those drifters. Because most of them a month or two after getting back, if they do weasel their way back into the fold get, another secret mission that requires them to bail again. Sometimes lessons are hard to learn with these because sometimes, no a lot of times, they can be outstanding players and people that cannot decide if they really want to play this game or not. :(

Rykan
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I'll admit as a healer I'm starting to get a little burnout, but for other reasons. Basically a solid chunk of the healing core is consistently under-performing, so I find myself having to pick up (a large amount) of the slack. Then people die, healers get blamed, you know the rest. I don't mind wiping on progression, but I do mind the stress of effectively 3-healing most fights.

Example: I get picked up by valkyr? BAM 6 people dead to infest.

Bashal
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM
But the ones I cannot really stand are the drifters. You know the people that stop raiding and then 2 months later are dropping you a PM on the forums about "Hey my secret mission with the CIA is over and I can get back to raiding with you guys now!!" and of course this almost always happens right after you managed to find a suitable replacement, equipped them, and broken them of all which is unguildly for your squad. Then of course you have 2 camps of people that either want the guy back or are shooting him the middle finger for bailing in the first place.

We have a couple of those in our guild; we're fortunate in that they are good sports and don't think they'll just start getting insta-raid invites. But we've had others which just expected us to instantly make room. They usually drift off again. ;)

Luanmali
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with you having a scooter. I used to have one, too!

As always, an excellent Marmot. Though I have a question that is completely unrelated to burnout. Which, since I don't really want to take up space, I'll save for messaging you with or something, if that's deemed to be alright.

Anyway, yeah. Good stuff!

Masterkiller
03-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Great topic! Something I think everyone experiences at some level. Getting it into the open so it's not the "B word" is a great first step to recovery! haha

Maritime
03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I just hit the burnout point and gave notice to my guild that I was retiring from raiding a couple weeks ago. I've been raiding since vanilla so I guess I'm due for a break. I've always tried to limit my playtime to raid days only (3/week) but the ease of running random heroics with patch 3.3 had me logging in every day to gather frost emblems on two toons. Its safe to say that was a contributing factor in burn out.

Personally I was unhappy that we didn't run more old content. In vanilla we ran MC right up to BC, and we often killed Gruul (never did get my DST!) even after Sunwell opened up. But unless its the weekly no one wants to run Naxx or Ulduar, even on alts, when the gear is so much inferior to what can be had from running 5 mans. I don't blame the players for this attitude, but Blizzard for inflating loot so much. I don't think expansion content should become invalid until the NEXT expansion.

M

mavfin
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
When I start feeling burnt out, I step away, and only do what I have to, and 'have to' doesn't include daily frost badges, either.

I've been playing this game with only a couple 2-month breaks since 1/28/2005, so I've dealt with burnout, but I keep coming back to it.

Also, if what I'm doing simply isn't fun, I'll stop doing it. Work is something I do before I come home and play WoW instead of watching TV. Sure, I put effort into my raiding, but that's fun effort. When it starts to feel like I should be getting paid for it, then it's not fun anymore.

Knighterrant81
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
We have a similar problem. We raid 3 nights a week. We have a solid core, and we just got through a recruitment phase, so we also have a lot of new people hanging around. Our poor GM spends all friday night (our first raid night) switching people out for rep on trash, or for various drops on various bosses. People get bored and take little afk breaks so after the group is set for each new boss we have to wait around a minute or two for people to get back. We could just blast through with the same group, but we need the extra players to fill out our team. Unfortunately, it means we don't have time to get to progression bosses because we spend all of our time playing musical raiders.

This was similar to how we did TOC - but of course TOC was only 5 bosses, and there wasn't much of a run so we never had to wait too long. The later ICC bosses, and trash respawns, make this raiding style very annoying. I am in the "progression" camp - I couldn't care less about the early bosses, I just hate wasting time that we could be using to work on progression, but I recognize that we need the new people to have gear too. There just has to be a better way.

Samius
03-27-2010, 05:20 PM
one thing I think would be interesting is for you to talk more about burnout via WIPES on same shit! that's often a big issue also?

Fiasco
03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
I know it's been brought up already, but... That shirt man! What are you thinking?

Vong
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Wow lore that shirts sucks! Looks like my grandmas curtains

ermik
03-28-2010, 06:35 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4469183701_462e19c211.jpg

I am shut. :P

ermik
03-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I LIKE HIS SHIRT BTW. It's awesome. I'm serious btw. btw, this message is not 'bout "BTW" shit. Perhaps, btw, you'll like his shirt if YOU'D BUY A SCOOTER.

Xiangfang
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
OMG!! Someone please call the Fashion Police!!

http://www.explodingdog.com/drawing/uglyshirt.gif

vhaarr
03-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Alienas WM022 worked fine, Lore. Your 021 and 022 does not, however the ones before that, like I have said before, still work fine.
http://pastebin.com/aQR5tJdx

As you can see from this paste, Aliena uses the DivX audio v2 codec for her audio, but you are using the Windows Media Audio 10 Professional codec, which is not supported on 64-bit Linux systems.

Lore
03-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Opened up #19 and #22 in GSpot. Both are using the same codec (WMA v2).

vhaarr
03-29-2010, 03:45 AM
WM018: "Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))". (works)
WM019: "Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))". (works)
SC001: "Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))". (works)
WM020: "Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))". (works)
WM021: "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x162." (does not work)
WM022: "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x162." (does not work)
WM022Aliena: "Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))". (works)

I'm not sure what other details I can give other than what I posted at http://pastebin.com/aQR5tJdx

Lore
03-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Hrm. I haven't changed any render settings, and gspot is showing 022 as 0x161 (which is the DivX codec) for me.

vhaarr
03-29-2010, 04:47 AM
I tried running it as
$*mplayer -ac +ffwmav2 WM022.wmv
which forces mplayer to use the ffwmav2 audio codec to decode the audio stream no matter what it detects it to be, and the result was just garbage coming out of the headphones.

I don't know what GSpot is, but I googled it and tried running it under WINE, and it crashed immediately on startup.

I tried the videos in the videolan client now, and it can't play them either, saying:
[0x7f6f5400a878] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `wmap'
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
Type: audio
Codec: wmap
Channels: 2
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 440 kb/s

However, for the videos that do work (WM018, specifically, I didn't test the others), it says:
Type: audio
Codec: wma2
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16

Beefyt
03-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Sorta looks like one of the shirts Michael Cera wears in Arrested Development... http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/george_michael_bluth.jpg
In fact, Lore sorta looks like Michael Cera because of this!

Turelliax
03-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Lore:

I enjoyed this marmot as I myself just recently had to step down because of burnout. What I would have liked to hear though was how do you (as a guild leader/raid leader) deal with it when that person might want to come back at some point? Do you make them reapp? I have been desperately trying to get back into the "want" of raiding but am finding it hard to do so. Our guild never got a night off (though we only raided 3 nights 25 mans 1-2 nights 10 mans). How do you get out of burnout mode when you know you like the game.. but aren't enjoying certain aspects of it?

Kazeyonoma
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
sit down with your guild members/raid members, and see if others are feeling the same, possibly readjust the raid schedule (our 10 mans at night are starting to get burnt out as well and we're considering cutting back on raid nights since we can clear most of ICC fast anyways). Also, try playing other things, step down from raiding and re-app later (it's how my guild does it, if people stop raiding they get moved to member status and if they want to raid again, they re-app like everyone else).

Pale
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
it almost appeared that there was a Max Headroom theme to this episode.

1) The Shirt
2) The constant transitions
3) The most important Max Factor......3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3...3