PDA

View Full Version : Tanking My BiS Lists

edeesis
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Hey all,

I'm extremely new to the TankSpot community, but I have been tanking for a while, and now I'm one of the main tanks in my guilds 25 mans (cannot manage to get to that main tank status, since our MT has tenure, even if he does have a horribly gemmed/talented toon).

None of the gear in this list is heroic mode, simply because my guild hasn't cleared up to heroic modes yet. I'll take another look at my sets once those options become available to me.

So during my offtime in raids, etc. I have created 4 BiS Lists:

1) EH -- Simply geared towards surviving, this set has a balance of armor, high stamina, and a little bit of threat stats in there.

2) Armor -- Attempted to get 49.9K armor (the cap for armor when fighting a +3 level mob (boss)). This is not possible with my current level of gear, but may be with Icecrown Heroic items.

3) Stamina -- Mainly for magical based fights, chose items that had the most stamina. (Sindragosa comes to mind)

4) Threat -- This set has hit/exp both capped, useful for threat and trash.

So here goes...

Set 1 --- EH

Helm: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Greathelm
Neck: Bile-Encrusted Medallion
Shoulders: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Pauldrons
Back: Sentinel's Winter Cloak
Chest: Cataclysmic Chestguard
Wrist: Gargoyle Spit Bracers
Hands: Gauntlets of the Kraken
Waist: Verdigris Chain Belt
Legs: Pillars of Might
Feet: Grinning Skull Greatboots

Ring1: Ashen Band of Endless Courage/Juggernaut Ring
Ring2: Devium's Eternally Cold Ring
Trinket1: Unidentifiable Organ
Trinket2: Glyph of Indomitabilty/Corpse Tongue Coin

Weapon: Mithrios, Bronzebeard's Legacy
Shield: Icecrown Glacial Wall
Ranged: Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets

Set 2 -- Armor

Back: Sentinel's Winter Cloak
Wrist: Gargoyle Spit Bracers

Ring1: Clutch of Fortification
Trinket2: Glyph of Indomitabilty/Corpse Tongue Coin

Weapon: Ardent Guard (Heroic)|Crusader's Glory (Heroic)

Set 3 -- Stamina

Helm: Broken Ram Skull Helm
Shoulders: Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons
Back: Cairne's Endurance|Magni's Resolution/Sentinel Winter's Cloak
Wrist: Bracers of Dark Reckoning
Feet: Grinning Skull Greatboots/Boots of Kingly Uphieval

Ring1: Ashen Band of Endless Courage
Trinket1: Unidentifiable Organ/Corroded Skeleton Key
Trinket2: Sindragosa's Flawless Fang

Weapon: Mithrios, Bronzebeard's Legacy

Set 4 -- Threat

Neck: Noose of Malachite
Back: Royal Crimson Cloak
Wrist: Dreadscale Bracers (Heroic)
Hands: Veincrusher Gauntlets (Red Socket w/ 20 Expertise Gem)
Legs: Sanctified Ymirjar Lord's Legguards

Ring1: Ashen Band of Endless Courage
Ring2: Abomination's Bloody Ring
Trinket2: Vengeance of the Forsaken

Weapon: Facelifter

Any comments would be nice! Thanks!

edeesis
03-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I should put Troggbane in there instead of Mithrios, since it's counterintuitive to say that I have the weapon off of LK but not the heroic modes unlocked. But you get the basic gist. (We're about to get LK10 down)

I would put either Troggbane or Facelifter in place of Mithrios, or just Ardent Guard (Heroic).

MellvarTank
03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm.... I see a few issues with your lists. For one, your EH list has 2 armor (and one dodge) trinket(s) listed. EH is about balancing armor and stamina, and 2 armor trinkets are hurting your health. You should look at Jugg's Vitality (and heroic Jugg's Vitality) in addition to the corroded skeleton key as trinkets to pair with the unidentifiable organ. I think you would get much more "wear and tear" out of that.

Also, I would have to ask what the purpose of the armor set is. It would seem that it is essentially duplicating the EH set, but you are sacrificing stamina for armor (which is generally not a good idea given the fact that ~11 armor = 1 stamina).

edeesis
03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I made the Armor set more as a kind of novelty set. Same goes for the Threat Set

But, I do agree with you for the EH set, I just wasn't sure exactly where to go with that, since the armor trinkets were so good.

Byronius
03-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Concerning your threat set, it's really loaded with unnecessary expertise and could have more survivability with minimal cost to threat. With the Sanctified Legguards and Cataclysmic Chest alone, you are Expertise soft capped. To max out hit, I would use:

-Sanctified Gloves (which would also give you the four piece bonus)
-Boots of Kingly Upheaval
-Bonebreaker Scepter

Throw in the Gargoyle Spit Bracers for more armor and take Band of the Twin Val'kyr and/or Devium's Eternally Cold Ring in any case, since with the other gear I mentioned, you'd be hit-capped or close. Also, a situational Corroded Skeleton Key or H-Jug's Vit is a much better option than Vengeance of the Forsaken nearly 99% of the time. Also, as a survivability measure, I would almost always take Sentinel's Winter Cloak over any other cloak in existence, even on fights like Sindragosa. There's a complicated discussion there that this gear list isn't really concerned with anyway, unless you want to specify more.

I realize you were going more for a expertise hard cap set (a novelty set as you mentioned), which is fine, but that is not threat maximizing by any means. Stacking expertise past 26 rating is more for survival than threat anyway, to avoid parry gibs. Also, any threat maximizing set should also try to max survivability at the same time, in any case. Also, I kinda put together the math for hit cap in my head at 3 am, so if it's short, Harbinger's Bone Band should put you over the top. Just some thoughts.

edeesis
03-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I understand that Expertise is to prevent parry gibs. But Expertise past 26 has the same value as hit does to threat (I am hit capped in this set). So if the closer you get to expertise hard cap, your threat will increase at the same rate that you would as hit approaches the hit cap. Not to mention, there is nothing wrong with the pieces of expertise that I chose (with an exception to the trinket) because they are pretty good pieces.