PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Gemming Questions

wfj5444
03-23-2010, 06:24 AM
I did some gem changes last night (www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&cn=Meatpeeps), but I am concerned about how I stand.

I have done ICC 10 2-3 times now, but last night couldn't get past Festergut. I have tanked him last week without issue, this week I kept dying once he had all three levels of inhales. This was before his last Pungent Blight.

Do I have an Avoidance issue? I thought I was doing pretty well on gear and I do have a few items to replace (Yes, yes I know I need a main hand enchant :) )

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone have links to the 'top warriors' across any server? How do you find such info?

Aggathon
03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
First off it's a cooldown issue, secondly the only pieces of gear you have gemmed/enchanted correctly is your bracers and your shield. During phase 3 you have to chain cooldowns or you will die unless you significantly outgear the encounter, which you don't. Go read the gemming and enchanting sections in my guide, and also read the spec section. When you are done if you still have questions respond here or send me a PM.

Also spoiler alert that you'll find in the guide: you will almost never EVER gem for parry.

Also, I'm not a top warrior any more since I've pretty much quit, but my armory can still be used as a good reference guide.

MellvarTank
03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Look up Ciderhelm, Xav, Agg, Kaz, you name it. Look up as many as you can, note the differences between them all, then question why they are geared that way for the encounters they are in. Other than that, Agg said it. Learn to chain your cooldowns. If you are going to beat that fight, you won't get to another 3 inhales, you don't need to save cooldowns.

wfj5444
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks both of yall. I will take a look. I have tanked it and beaten it once already. That was before I had my current shield even, so I am thinking it isn't my gear.

Imriela
03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks both of yall. I will take a look. I have tanked it and beaten it once already. That was before I had my current shield even, so I am thinking it isn't my gear.

Sounds like a problem in chaining cooldowns then.

And yes, you are gemming wrong, and I see lack of enchants and wrong enchants as well. Take a look at Agg's Prot Warrior Guid (link in Aggathon's signature above) and see what you should do for EH. You want EH for progression, there aren't many avoidance fights and Festergut isn't one of them.

Your spec also looks pretty odd. At first I thought it was threat based, but then there wasn't Deep Wounds, so I thought survival, but there is 1pt in Cruelty and nothing in Imp. Disciplines. Also, don't underestimate the added survivability from Glyph of Blocking. And if you're rage starved and need Puncture for rage in raids, there's something weird going on... I'd go so far to say you're doing something wrong.

wfj5444
03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks all. Yes after reading the guild, I obviously gemmed wrong. I am 3rd tank/2nd warrior in our small guild and our other warrior gave me the gems and spoke to me about changing to what it is now. I was gemmed all 30 STA gems across the board.

I hate to think I need to go back and buy 7 zircons, but oh well. I am going to point him this way and see what he says. Thanks folks :)

Dreadski
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Is this the paladin that gave you gemming advice?
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&cn=Liquidsteel
If that's the case, gquit now.

Aggathon
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Is this the paladin that gave you gemming advice?
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&cn=Liquidsteel
If that's the case, gquit now.

I think he's trying to make sure he has all the colors of the rainbow contained in his gemming selection.

Dreadski
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Here we have another winner: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&cn=Nitemare

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by staying with them. I've looked at all of your plate tanks and I just left the room.

Aggathon
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Here we have another winner: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&cn=Nitemare

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by staying with them. I've looked at all of your plate tanks and I just left the room.

He's not AS bad, it looks like he has almost zero expertise from gear so he's trying to gem for it to get soft cap, which he isn't even at yet... HAVING SAID THAT, if he apped to my guild I'd have a good chuckle then deny his app. Why anyone would put a raw +20parry gem in their gear is beyond me.

Also: I realize I'm kind of being an ass, but I'm still pissed that KU lost on Saturday (when the clock ran out you could literally hear people's brackets breaking throughout the entire country). I goto KU and am a senior, so I took the loss especially hard and am still overly grumpy from it.

Dreadski
03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
HAVING SAID THAT, if he apped to my guild I'd have a good chuckle then deny his app. Why anyone would put a raw +20parry gem in their gear is beyond me.

I'd probably just quote his app in the "EXAMPLE OF HOW NOT TO APPLY" thread. rofl

Inaara
03-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Holy Christ..... All I have to say is WTFPARRYGEMS? Tell your buddies to get some tankspot action goin.

lewo
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
they definitely do have interesting gem choices :)

wfj5444
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the input. My guildies are great and just trying to help, so please take it easy. We all have plenty of to learn. That's what makes it fun.

Dreadski
03-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the input. My guildies are great and just trying to help, so please take it easy. We all have plenty of to learn. That's what makes it fun.

Bearing that in mind I'm sure they are excellent and upstanding people. That said, send them here. It seems like one decided on a good way to gem and the others followed without looking around for some research on how to maximize.