PDA

View Full Version : Defile Help

Unger
03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I want to thank all of the people who contribute to these threads… it’s a huge help for a lot of people, including my guild.

I wanted to seek some general advice from the community on normal Lich King, 25 man. Our guild has strong dps and good tanks/heals. What we are not great in, is getting our team to adjust to situational awareness at times. This particular issue is manifesting itself in our failure to get through the 2nd defile on Lich King. It seems like no matter what we do, we continually have problems with this ability.

Our current strategy is to break the team down into 3 groups, one for each Valk. I assign multiple slows and I handle the first stun myself (Warrior OT, I use shockwave). It usually works fine since we stack up right at valks spawn time.

After the first valkyrs, we group back up on the other side (taking them the other way since defile is down where we were) and we either a) fail to defile, covers the whole damn platform or b) people go SO far to avoid defile that they don’t get the valks down in time.

Currently, we have a plan where we run out as soon as he starts his defile case in different directions, based on the raid group we are in (Group 1 goes northwest, Group 2, southwest, group 3 Southwest, group 4 southeast). Somehow, it never works. We lose people to valks or defile runs over the entire platform. It even gotten to the point that we just focus 2 valks and lose a player? Just live with it? I don’t know.

We have all of the other mechanics down…. And our dps is strong. What strats can I employ to get us over the hump? Any ideas would be really helpful…..

swelt
03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Stuck at this point too in 25 man. Have managed to get past it with casualties, never cleanly and never well enough to progress much further.

Mmiz
03-22-2010, 05:42 PM
My guild has also always had trouble moving (Yogg p1 anyone? twins hc we wiped for weeks on it before we decided to admit defeat and do doorway tact) so defiles was a bitch tbh...
We seem to have them under control now.. what we do is assume as 99% of the time the defile cd isnt over before valkyrs come we stack wait for valkyrs and spread immediate as far from center as possible still doing our jobs...

If you see a person beside you getting a skull you move away from them not with them assume they run towards edge so running to center is a pretty safe bet even if the defile is dropped where you stand you have enough time to get out so from the mark until you need to move there is like 5 seconds... have everyone watch LK's target and they will see even sooner announce on vent when you expect defile to be next ability so ppl watch extra for it... or you can just hope for a good rng where the movers get it each time (gl with that).

Hope that can help a bit I assume most of the best guilds do not have this issues as they only have ppl that move. best of luck hope you get the kill

Megatwan
03-23-2010, 05:20 AM
we wiped on ^^ for a few weeks before killing like most guilds id imagine, and obviously the valks will test your dps. my 2cents...

valks:
-3 grps assign marks
-ideally big stuns first, especially if your dps is low. although this will keep them in the middle longer which makes close defile timers tricky/problematic
-respect DR! ie assign certain ppl to holy wrath, not every pally in the raid, have back up stuns/slows for when ppl get grabbed, also DG/DS for when a raid healer is picked up for infest
-get them going in the same direction! they bee-line to the closest edge, use this to your advantage and manipulate their path as a raid... easier said then done. we use a star(mark) and have ppl stack because independent thought is hard... but all the star does is 1. run to middle 2. back up 5yards away from defile(s). soooo, in theory all valks go in the same direction and cleave dmg=gg
-typhoon+avengers shield daze is sex also if your slows are touchy

defile:
-when he targets off the tank for his defile target you have about 5seconds before that person drops it, if you have a holy priest to play with body and soul its very pro on this but you dont need it and we didnt never used it
-sometimes the timer is within a few seconds of the valk timer and its rng which he does first, be rdy to spread fast and gtfo the middle when this happens
-ideally we like to have this dropped by the throne, it would do well for the raiders to remember that.
-i mean thers not a whole lot i can say that you cant wowhead about the mechanic but as an example hes our method:

-transition ends
-ot has remaining spirit(s) and runs to the back RIGHT of the metal/stone ring
-mt and raid runs to the back LEFT of the the ring and stacks
-valks come and fly left/east, some pro RL marks em asap, holy wrath, marks up before its off and dps adjust from random button spam to their correct targets, single target stuns and slows and pewpew
-defile should be coming out while your killing ^^, to prepare your ranged and healers should be on the east side to the north and south, melee and tank should be rocking the valks (hopefully the 3 are grps in the same direction if you positioned right). NO ONE SHOULD STILL BE IN THE MIDDLE FFS
-kill valks, drop defile and now RL: look at timers and call this everytime: "we're getting [xxx abil] next [stay out -or- collapse]".
-should be defile first so stay out for that, then valk right after to collapse asap. when that defile comes out if its you run to the outside, if its not you should be running toward and get in the middle before the person chosen even drops it or youre slow
-when you stack for valks, make sure its on the other side of the middle from a defile, again manipulate the path and you dont wanna be running toward/through a defile

last little gimmicky tip: locks can port up when dropped allowing you ignore their valk. its pretty amazing and im suprised they didnt hotfix it (kinda). simple keep a portal near the edge and have your locks position so they get carried near it (ie not stacking on star with the raid). also have them call it so dps know to ignore that valks (should be obvious when you see one fly off pick someone not in the middle, unless a non-lock was a baddie)

..sorry if that ends up being a ranty wall of text, hopefully you get something out of it :)

Unger
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I thank you, Mega, for contributing in this thread. We will try it.

jhaze
03-29-2010, 07:26 AM
about the defile-valkyrs timing,is anywhere a "cronology" of what happens,in each order?
For example.
The first defile is about 10 sec after first valkyrs,second defile is about 1 second after second valkyrs,then?

pktan
03-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Is there a timer mod that show when Defile and Valkyr is coming?

Darksend
03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
dxe for sure, but all boss mods will probably have it.

Tyliam
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
The biggest thing i found that helps people avoid Defile is using a bossmod that does a say "Defile on me" and everyone has chat bubbles turned on. This gives a few seconds of extra time for people to react.

Megatwan
04-01-2010, 06:40 AM
-jhaze, typically youll get: valk, defile, valk defile etc

the second valk spawn (and others) sometimes get within a couple seconds of a defile because timers get pushed around due to infest casts etc.

-they all have timers at this point, its helpful to call out which is next after each abil as ppl tunnel during valk chaos i find. ie, defile in 10 and valks in 20 stay out and spread. nice and calm keep shit smooth.... or valks next and defile right after, GTFO of the middle and away from their path after they drop down.

-i think they added the 'say crap option' to DBM but it was def in DXE for luv u long time now. he also targets the person to if you have target of focus turned on etc.

another tip: after you kill the valks spread a bit and stay out of the middle. when he picks someone EVERYONE should be moving either toward the middle and away from the chosen raider or if you that person toward the outer ring away from ppl. bad guilds, includes ours youll have 10 or so ppl just run in a random direction thinging it might be them in a panic.. which causes more problems. either you running in or staying out and away, thats it, 2 directions gg.

Unger
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to share with the team.....

25 Lich King down.... I know, I know, we are way behind.... but its done. Thank you to all those who helped me with the strategies. I couldnt have done it without you.