PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Professions for Cataclysm

enricobr
03-20-2010, 04:04 AM
I would like this more as a Suggestion, but was not sure where to post it.

In general, gathering professions seem worse than crafting (except maybe Mining for tanking).

This is because the bonus are too minor most of the time, and there is no flexibility.

I was wondering - what if they put different buffs?
My first idea was: give the mining professions a static buff - the buff you get for only getting that profession. Then, you can "cast" that buff and it would change to a different buff, according to the secondary prof. Would have like 5s or 10s cast time, and would only be castable outside combat. The idea is that more people match the gathering/production profs.

Mining: Carrying all those metal around made you more resistant! +60 stamina
---> +Blacksmithing: Hammering all that metal down has made you stronger! +40 str (to "match" the +80 ap, since in Cata there will be no more AP - benefiting more plate wearers than other people)
---> +Jewelcrafting: You are able to find small gems inside big rocks. This requires both finesse and knowledge of what is a valuable gem. Gives you +40 agi and +40 int (for both DPS - yes this makes jewelcrafting "less useful" for plate wearers - btw, will any class use BOTH agi and int?)
---> +Engineering: Tinkering with all those diminute gears made you more coordinated, and GEEZ what are all those complicated calculus about the latest Combobulator? Gives you +40 agi and +40 int (same as before, just to make the bonus more appealing to dps. Also could maybe change for Carrying around all those parts made you stronger for an STR buff, and then you could have 3 different buffs... not sute)

Skinning: You know anatomy like nobody else. That was some tough Med School, huh? +40 int (for resto/bal druids, or resto/ele shammies)
---> +Leatherworking: You know, extracting those furs flawlessly and putting them together requires some skills. You practiced them a lot - Gives you +40 agi (for enh shaman and ferals and rogues)

Herbalist: Picking all the right plants between the grass require some perception. At least you are knowledgeable enough to find the right plants! Give you +40 int.
---> +Alchemy: Picking the right parts of the plant to create an elixir instead of a poison is an art. At least you didn't kill anybody to learn the finesse required to pick the right part - not that you know of. +40 agi
---> +Inscription: Mashing plants the whole day to get inks... Phew! All this exercise has made you stronger - +40 str

This was just some idea to encourage the matching of gather/production profs and to encourage the usage of gathering profs.

What do you guys think? Btw, the numbers can be adjusted at will to balance, the whole idea here would be to provide more fun for people and more freedom for getting professions, while also being a small help to the "newbie" persons - it does not make sense to a lot of them if you tell them the best professions to get are JC/BS....

Crommi
03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
What do you guys think? Btw, the numbers can be adjusted at will to balance, the whole idea here would be to provide more fun for people and more freedom for getting professions, while also being a small help to the "newbie" persons - it does not make sense to a lot of them if you tell them the best professions to get are JC/BS....

Ehh? These static bonuses would be incredibly boring and take all the freedom out of choosing professions. STR-based melee classes would pick BS+Inscription, tanks would get Mining+AGI and DPS-casters woudl go with whatever gives INT. For new players, gathering professions are incredibly easy way to get started and require very little effort or knowledge to level up.

enricobr
03-31-2010, 03:30 AM
Ehh? These static bonuses would be incredibly boring and take all the freedom out of choosing professions. STR-based melee classes would pick BS+Inscription, tanks would get Mining+AGI and DPS-casters woudl go with whatever gives INT. For new players, gathering professions are incredibly easy way to get started and require very little effort or knowledge to level up.
I think I was not clear enough....

The +str bonus for BS would be your mining bonus... You could click your actual +60 sta bonus to change it to a secondary buff. This secondary buff would give you +40 str(or whatever number is balanced).

So then instead of http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53040 being your Mining bonus, it would become something like "Power: Hammering down those metals to make all those armor and weapons has made you stronger! +40 str".

This str bonus is not intended to substitute the BS bonus, but the Mining bonus... So it could be valuable to more people!

The same way works for Herbalism, which IMHO is a quite bad bonus...

It is not supposed to make gathering professions very powerful, but only make them at the very least more useful to people who want to stick with gathering/production professions.

Let's suppose you are a dps STR based. Now you would get BS+JC, but most production professions have similar bonuses, and all gathering professions bonuses would be far behind for you. The idea here is only that the gathering profession could be not too much far behind the production professions...

EDIT: thanks for posting your impressions =)

Zyffyr
03-31-2010, 07:19 AM
btw, will any class use BOTH agi and intEssentially the same ones as do now - Shaman and Druid. They won't use both at the same time, but each will still have specs taking advantage of each.

Skyborn
03-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Agi + Int would be OP for hunters and enhancement shamans, as they get 2 useful stats instead of everyone else just getting one.

enricobr
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Agi + Int would be OP for hunters and enhancement shamans, as they get 2 useful stats instead of everyone else just getting one.
Yeah, this is why I said maybe the numbers would need some more tweaking... Maybe changing the one extra buff into two different (then you must chose only one)

Also, this is considering they are not going to review those mechanics... I don't see hunters needing Int since they won't be using mana anymore, and I suppose Shaman's would follow this path to make items more shareable...

raynman
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I give you an A for effort. That being said as long as bonuses are given to professions people are going to min/max to best suit their class and spec. The only way people would move towards gathering professions without nerfing the production professions is to remove bonuses from all professions, this could encourage some people to take a gathering profession along with one of their production professions based on economics. This would likely also result in some people not taking any professons at all.

As it is right now, if Blizzard was to add flower arrangment and interior decorating as professions and these turned out to be the best professions for tanks you would have a lot Blood DKs, Bear Druids, Prot Pallys, and Prot Warriors who could decorate you home and set up a fabulous floral arrangement.

enricobr
04-12-2010, 04:07 AM
I give you an A for effort. That being said as long as bonuses are given to professions people are going to min/max to best suit their class and spec. The only way people would move towards gathering professions without nerfing the production professions is to remove bonuses from all professions, this could encourage some people to take a gathering profession along with one of their production professions based on economics. This would likely also result in some people not taking any professons at all.

As it is right now, if Blizzard was to add flower arrangment and interior decorating as professions and these turned out to be the best professions for tanks you would have a lot Blood DKs, Bear Druids, Prot Pallys, and Prot Warriors who could decorate you home and set up a fabulous floral arrangement.

I don't think Blizzard would remove bonuses from professions. Choosing professions is a "fun" choice, and they would probably want to keep that. That being said, I think people that get a gathering profession are penalized now (ok, except maybe mining for tanks). All other buffs are too minor and below other professions buffs. The intention here is not to get Gathering ahead of production - they should not be. The intention was just to close the gap a little, making gathering professions bonuses less useless.

I wouldn't want mining+bs to be stronger than JC+BS, because JC+BS is hard and needs lots of work and money. Yet, I don't think giving people one (usually) useless bonus just because they want to be able to gather most of their material to be "fair". If we could get Min+BS closer to JC+BS, yet still a little behing, we could have some interesting choices there and maybe encourage people to have different sets of professions!