PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Expertise and Paladin Tanking

Ozgor
03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
A guildmate is looking to socket his gear.
Hes talking about socketing expertise.
Is this really viable at any point for a paladin tank?
Since they are mainly caster based would he really gain from it?

Bodasafa
03-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Below 26 expertise skill it is advisable to use a few Guardian Dreadstones +10 Expertise & +15 Stamina if you are close to the cap and just need a little more to reach it. Also using the Expertise food which is +4.88 Skill, is helpful.

Straight expertise gems, no.

uglybbtoo
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
In normal tank gear they should be close I would drop a glyph and put in http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43869 before I would gem for expertise. Usually you need one purple to light up the meta and exterise/stam would be a selection.

In general I wouldn't worry about the cap unless I was having threat issues and even then there are plenty of rings and necks with alot of expertise that you could use that would give alot less HP drop than chewing up multiple sockets with expertise gemming.

Raysere
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
A guildmate is looking to socket his gear.
Hes talking about socketing expertise.
Is this really viable at any point for a paladin tank?
Since they are mainly caster based would he really gain from it?

This is a falsehood. Shield and Hammer of the Righteous are both considered melee abilities and therefor can be dodged and Parried like any other melee attack. These two abilities make up a significant portion of a Paladin's threat generation. Consecrate and Judgment cannot be Dodged or Parried, but account for a smaller percent of the Paladins single-target threat.

I'd suggest simply Glyphing Seal of Vengeance for an easy 10 expertise skill rather then geming it in excess though.

In Icecrown however, threat is not proving to be an issue for most tanks and their raids. Worry about creating more threat if/when it becomes a problem, worry about your survivability otherwise.

Insahnity
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I believe even the SoV DoT is subject to the same physical mechanics, as silly as this sounds. It's a double edged sword, both in that you need Expertise and Hit for your SoV tics, but the tics can also proc mongoose, or whatever.

This discussion crops up every time, ToC had no hit gear, now there is no expertise gear. You are expected to get expertise, and make a conscious choice to pickup threat instead of more stamina or whatever.

Another item not discussed is expertise to gloves, which is far better than armsman or 18 stamina to gloves. I wouldn't recommend expertise to bracers, however.

proudmoore
03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
The application of the SoV DoT can be dodged/parried. The DoT itself, once applied, cannot be dodged/parried. Due to the high speed of most tanking weapons, and both Hammer and Shield applying the DoT, it's not a major issue in getting the full 5 stack going.

The dodge expertise cap is nice, which means 10 expertise skill from gear - I use the Cataclysmic Chestguard to achieve that. I tend to avoid gemming or enchanting Expertise, however, since threat is not in general an issue. The one fight in which I find it to be so (Saurfang), a slow DPS weapon and DMC:G provides more than sufficient buffer - especially if you tank first in order to get your threat in before the Beasts muck things up.

PapaNasty
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
imo just check the balance of your existing stats.

You're probably not going to be pushed for threat in ICC, but then you're also probably not going to be pushed on survivability either.

Thus it's probably worthwhile to socket a couple of +10 expertise +15 stam gems, and likewise +10 hit +15 stam gems into your +9 stam socket bonuses (If the other socket is blue). Since then it works out that you're only losing 6 stam to gain 10 expertise or 10 hit.

This then essentially covers all of your bases.

Of course if you're having problems with survivability in any encounters, then stick with gemming for pure stam.