PDA

View Full Version : Tanking 2% Threat and 10 Parry or 18 Stam

Surtr
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Right now i have 18 stamina on my gloves yet as blood i can't take threat off of the other tank (Paladin) even if it's a single target pull i was wondering if i would be better off getting rid of the ~200 health for 2% threat and more avoidance or just work on tanking better?

Bodasafa
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
There are several viable choices:

+855 Armor (engineer's only)
+240 Armor
+18 Stamina
+2% Threat and +10 Parry Rating (The only good part is the threat if you need it. 10 Parry Rating is practically nothing).

They are all good and all personal preference. I personally prefer the +240 Armor.

MellvarTank
03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
/thread.

hurtzfield
03-18-2010, 04:15 PM
If you're having problems as a DK taking threat off of the paladin (say during saurfang), there are a couple key things that could help.

1) Make sure that the paladin is taking off righteous fury. for you to get aggro. Then turns it back on and taunts when he needs aggro...
2) the paladin may need to turn it off a bit earlier, providing he's holding enough threat and you on the boss as well, so that the dps doesn't shoot up.

I mean, we had two paladins trying it, and they had to turn off Righteous Fury about a stack early so that the other tanks Righteous fury would gain enough threat to become useful. It depends what the threat generation is on the tanks, on how soon to take off and put on Righteous Fury.

Figure out how long it takes him to take aggro on the boss when he has righteous fury on at a certain amount of threat. Once you have that timer down, you could start to time your swaps perfectly, so that you don't have to stop hitting him. If he's going to gain threat faster than you with RF on, and when he has it off, you gain threat faster than he does, it could become a simple simple thing :) Just takes practice.

Zyffyr
03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
1) Make sure that the paladin is taking off righteous fury. for you to get aggro. Then turns it back on and taunts when he needs aggro...
2) the paladin may need to turn it off a bit earlier, providing he's holding enough threat and you on the boss as well, so that the dps doesn't shoot up.

If you are going with "turn off RF", turning it off early does absolutely nothing to help the other tank pull off... When the other tank hits his Taunt, he goes up to whatever the Paladin had. Turning off RF early just narrows the gap between the tanks and the DPS. Not only that, but he loses the 6% damage reduction from Improved RF. BAD MOVE with zero upside.

The taunting tank could have ZERO threat (having just been battle rezzed or something), and he still ends up in the same relative spot with the same threat generation potential regardless of how early RF was removed.

There is exactly one reason to remove RF *before* the taunt occurs - to make sure that it is gone quickly enough *after* so as to not pull back.

Aggathon
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Or you know... whenever one tank needs to be taunted off they just stop attacking.

Zyffyr
03-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Or you know... whenever one tank needs to be taunted off they just stop attacking.

That makes far to much sense.

Disturrbed
03-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I would go for the 2% threat and 10 parry personally.

Surtr
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info i think i'm going with 2% threat and 10 parry.

Aggathon
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
The 2% threat really shouldn't be needed, 18 stam or 240 armor is superior, your #1 job as a tank is to survive, as long as you're doing enough TPS to hold threat then you're fine, if your other tanks are pulling off you then they're doing something wrong.

JollyWarrior
03-20-2010, 07:00 PM
240 armor is more Effective Health (EH) than +18 stam but is worth much less against magic spells.

Dragaan
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Right now i have 18 stamina on my gloves yet as blood i can't take threat off of the other tank (Paladin) even if it's a single target pull i was wondering if i would be better off getting rid of the ~200 health for 2% threat and more avoidance or just work on tanking better?

Are you saying you're having trouble with bosses like saurfang when it's your turn to taunt? If that's the case, it's not your fault. Tell the other tank to stop attacking for a few sec. Problem fixed.

If you are just saying you can't pull off of the paladin tank in general.... who cares? It's not your job to pull threat off of another tank, just stay ahead of the dps.

Most tanks are using 18stam or 240 armor instead of 2% threat nowadays, since holding threat off dps classes isn't too tough except in very specific situations. If you regularly find yourself losing aggro to DPS CLASSES even with your raid's hunters/rogues doing their job and misdirecting you, THEN I'd say it's time to consider the threat enchant. But honestly, it's not that big of a help. Most situations where tanks find themselves losing threat to dps classes occur shortly after engaging a mob. 2% threat is not going to make up for early misses/avoids or slow pickups by the tank.

MestHoop
03-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Personally I use the threat enchant because of 2 certain DPS'ers in my guild (a hunter and a lock).
The hunter doesn't use FD (or tries not to...) and sometimes forgets MD (the scrub... his DPS is insane though). The lock... he has sick damage, but didn't take the 20% threat reduce talent (affliction).

It's only certain fights (and mainly trash) that these guys (and some others) ride my threat, but I'd rather be save than sorry. The guild we just joined has a lot of rogues and hunters now though (I saw a HUGE TPS increase :P) so I might drop it again, but for 10 mans I really need it >_<

So all in all it depends on your gear, the fight and your team mates. I reached 59k last night in 25 man (just raid and the ICC buffs) so I can do without 18 stam :P